Amp install kit?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
nc5er 
Member - Posts: 23
Member spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2004 at 8:30 PM / IP Logged  

Hey Everyone,

I've put together a SQ system which includes : (all used Old School  equipment from the Bay)

Eclipse 5303r H.U. , 1 PPI PC4400.2 (50W x4) F + R amp, 1 PPI PC2200.2 (200W) amp for the sub , Orion / ADS XTR 5S  100 WRMS front component speakers ,  1 Orion 10" 2NTense 2 or 8 OHM DVC 1000W subwoofer.

It took me about 7 months to research plus the funding. Anyway, my main question would be, what brand of amp installation accessories should I be looking for? With that calibre of equipment, I don't want crapy cables. My 1st choice is Monster Cable, 2nd, maybe StreetWires. I've found a kit by VooDoo which includes a 1.2 Cap and all the terminals are platnum plated. It is one of the most complete kit's I've seen and sells for $100.00. Should I go for it? 

Anyone know if VooDoo is the good stuff?

Much appreciated...   

Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2004 at 8:51 PM / IP Logged  
http://www.darvex.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=SWCKH44&Product_Count=1
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
Francious70 
Silver - Posts: 629
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2004 at 12:18 AM / IP Logged  
I kinda like StreetWires, but only the RCA's and terminals are what you need to look at really. Also accessorys like a distro block.
Paul
nc5er 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2004 at 7:40 PM / IP Logged  

I was full of hope in a clear direction here.

I have searched for a month and have looked at hundreds and hundreds of kits. I'm pretty sure, there is no manufacturer I've not seen or heard of. The install kit I was describing is fully loaded, fused distrubtion and ground block, everything platinum plated.

I am really itching to begin to install this equipment. The amps, I am sure I can do. Head unit, would be too tricky I think. The H.U. in there now, the car's P.O. allowed the install shop to hard wire. The front speaker install is way out of my league. Only get one shot at getting them in the door's, as the factory holes are 4 x 6 in the kicks. My ride is a 1988 BMW 528e with only 156K that I'm restoring, pretty tough when it's you're daily driver.

Thanks for the link, I've found them on the bay before though.

fatgotti 
Copper - Posts: 177
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2004 at 7:46 AM / IP Logged  

From my experience I have found that it really does not matter what particular brand of wires you use other than the RCA's you can use just about any co. power cables just break the bank when you buy RCA's. Stinger makes directionals which I have always liked..

Fatgotti    Yeah my name is John and I am FAT!! YEAH BABY
dxav 
Silver - Posts: 314
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2004 at 8:18 AM / IP Logged  
Go with Metra. Their Tsunami line is top-notch, power wire and ground wire very high strand count. RCAs have tons of different materials, some even filled with gasses, I think. At a shop you should be able to buy direct, too. Very cost effective. I just bought a serious amount of wire from Metra, and the quality is superb!
DXAV
saranykm 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2004 at 5:58 PM / IP Logged  
check this out, i went to wal mart and got my amp kit from there, this kit comes with 4 ga wire 8 ga wire, 2 sets of rca's a premium fuse holder, a distribution block, and all kinds of other stuff, i am running two eclipse amps with a total rms of 1200 im my explorer....these wires kick a$$ there made my scosche....knock it if you will, but hey these things dont just burn out easy
gorilla
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 19, 2004 at 7:46 PM / IP Logged  
nc5er, I'd suggest you get that car to a good audio shop and get that install started.  You're missing out on a lot of audio enjoyment while shopping for wires.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
nc5er 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2004 at 9:08 PM / IP Logged  

I appreciate the feedback from everyone.

stevdart, you are right, there is a top notch shop right up the road who, have given me an estimate for $300.00 already. I got a little testy with them over not bench testing my stuff after holding it there for a month. I guess it would be better to let them do the whole thing huh? They used to sell PPI before they became a waste. Their eyes lit up when they saw me walking in there with a couple of matching PC.2's in excellent condition.

One more thing, should I be concerned about getting a cap previous to their install? That was not inclusive in their price, this place is high on their stuff. Even an old BMW will eat a huge hole outta yer a$$.

Thanks again all...

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 19, 2004 at 10:03 PM / IP Logged  

No, most advice here would be to forego the cap and instead get a diagnostic load test on the car's electrical system.  See how much amperage the alternator puts out above what the car requires to run on.  Have the alt and battery wiring replaced, and terminals cleaned or replaced.  Clean and reconnect all grounding in the engine bay.  Maybe run a separate ground wire from alt to battery negative.  With all the basics done, you can decide on adding a cap at any time down the road, and will be something you can install if you want without having to remove any equipment.  Post here if that time comes that you think a cap is necessary...I suspect it won't be.  You're going to be running a clean 400 watt system, and just the cleanup in the engine bay will most likely take care of power load for you.

Basically, you should use 4 gauge power wire and ground, and a fused distro block with 8 gauge wire to each amp.  Speaker wire is normal 16 to 14 gauge.  RCA cables are where you can spend a little more, but Monster won't get you a better signal than Scoshe.  Just choose cables that have well-made ends.  They'll all be twisted-wire.

BTW, is the shop building the enclosure for it?

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic