Amp install kit?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
nc5er 
Member - Posts: 23
Member spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2004 at 8:20 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks Sevdart,

Awesome reply, everything under the hood is real, real clean. I've already cleaned up most of the wiring, fuse box, ect several months ago. The voltage regulator and bushing rarely goes bad in the alternator, but I'll get that checked out.

I guess they intend to use an off the shelf box for the sub, which I don't like. I've been informed that the sub is firstly an SQ design, but will do SPL nice. Sealed is the way I want to go. The guy I bought all the speakers from use to compete withe them, he said I should use a custom built 1 cubic ft. box for it sealed with sprayed on Dynaliner or something like that inside. I do not have the spec's for the sub, I am not sure where to find them.

Thanks

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 20, 2004 at 10:35 PM / IP Logged  

mailto:AudioTechs@directed.com

http://www.orioncaraudio.com/contacts/default.asp

First thing is to email tech support at Orion and find out the T/S parameters of your sub.  A box isn't going to be correctly built or selected off the shelf without knowing the information.  By far, custom box building is the preferred route.  Sometimes a pre-made sealed box can be made to work by doing some customization.  But you have to know the parameters of the woofer.  Also, you will find out if that sub is best suited for sealed or for ported.  The T/S parameters will indicate that.  So you should use the best type for that sub.  A pre-made ported box is out of the question.  A good install shop should provide the option of custom enclosures, but sometimes one shop can be hired for the main areas of install, and someone else can make the enclosure. 

BTW, I guess the person who informed you that the sub is designed for SQ is the guy who sold it on Ebay, right?  And he didn't supply the parameters?  What's he expect you to do...guess at it?

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
nc5er 
Member - Posts: 23
Member spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2004 at 7:44 PM / IP Logged  

I appreciate the link to Orion, I had already tried to email them via that link and it was returned to sender. Maybe this time it will work, might have to break down and call them.

I read a post I found by doing a search, posted by the guy I bought the stuff from, while I was waiting for him to ship it. So, I inadverantly, got info on him plus the exact equipment I was buying from him. I had my heart set on ADS or CDT, but was aware that old Orion was the good. I bumped into the speakers and low and behold he had the sub in another auction. I did not hesitate on $150.00 buy it now for everything shipped. All he claimed is that the equipment was at or just below Orion's best, some 4-5 years ago. It's all in beautiful condition, the box and manual were included for the mid's and tweet's. The mid's, cones say ADS 117A, so I got some ADS after all.

From another forum I've spent years at, I picked up on a trick install for the amps on the 5 series Bimmers. No thief would ever find them. It's the technical know how I need'ed for the audio that brought me here. And I am way, inspired by you guys.

Thanks Stevdart and all

Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic