icon

Sticky Packing peanut volume measurement

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
s7726 
Copper - Posts: 58
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2004 at 1:46 AM / IP Logged  

I think one simple sticky post with how to use packing peanuts to measure the volume of an enclosure would save a lot of posts.

Reply to second this opinion

Gavin S.

SWEDISH RICE!

Melted Fabric 
Silver - Posts: 509
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2004 at 12:53 PM / IP Logged  
I was just thinking about that the other day.  Proper use of peanuts to measure volume space.  I would also like information on it.
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
When you do not know what you are doing and what you are doing is the best -- that is inspiration.
dxav 
Silver - Posts: 314
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2004 at 1:17 PM / IP Logged  
It really isn't that difficult. If you fill a container that is 1" x 1" x 1" with packing peanuts, you get 1 ft3 of volume. Moving this amount of packing peanuts into another container that is of a different shape, but the peanuts still fit will yeild the same cubic volume.
Othewise, if you have an oddly shaped enclosure (fiberglass, let's say), fill it with peanuts the same way. Then you need to take those peanuts out and put it into a cardboard box that has easy dimensions to measure, and find the volume the peanuts consume in that box. That is the interior volume of your 'glass enclosure.
DXAV
boxmaker85 
Silver - Posts: 433
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2004 at 1:42 PM / IP Logged  

hey dxav don't you mean 1' x 1' x 1' (one foot by one foot by one foot)?  not 1" (one inch).  But yeah that's probably the most comon and easy.

dxav 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2004 at 8:36 AM / IP Logged  
Hahaha, yeah, good call, Boxmaker. Thanks!
I usually don't denote measurements in that style -- now you know why!
DXAV
boxmaker85 
Silver - Posts: 433
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2004 at 7:54 PM / IP Logged  
lol had to say something b/c i could see some newbie wondering why he is only able to measure one peanut in his 1" x 1" x 1" measuring box at a time.  and wondering why his box sounds so crappy.  You never know about people today
dxav 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2004 at 9:13 AM / IP Logged  
I can easily get 4 peanuts into a 1" x 1" 1". Can't you?!
Seriously, though. Did my explaination work for you s7726 and Melted Fabric?
I noticed it is a stick now, so it probably should be ok.
DXAV
bndallas 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: November 09, 2004 at 12:34 PM / IP Logged  
ok  say you have measured in a cardboard box . How do you put that measurement into the (fiberglass enclosure ) before you do the frame work and put the resin on the jersey material or fleece? do you just guesstamate? I would hate to build a box and then go cut the holes for the speakers and fill it with my peanuts and have alot left over.Sticky Packing peanut volume measurement -- posted image..or is there  a way to compensate for the lost peanuts? I know I probably sound stupid and the answers probably in front of me,but , oh wells.Sticky Packing peanut volume measurement -- posted image.
s7726 
Copper - Posts: 58
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 09, 2004 at 12:41 PM / IP Logged  

I have heard the general concensus is to guess BIG, then you can put in some extra random space taking material if it's too much space.

Gavin
SWEDISH RICE!
dxav 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 12, 2004 at 8:57 AM / IP Logged  
Well, after the material is stretched over the ring and back, I just don't seal one small hole, and fill the peanuts thru that. Then I take them out, put them in the box, and measure. Then if the ft3 is good, I seal the fiberglass enclosure up completely. I usually use hot glue, holds well, and is not permanent. If you are stretching over MDF, then use a staple gun for the final streching.
DXAV
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic