Sticky Packing peanut volume measurement

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
/r7 
Silver - Posts: 340
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2004 at 1:00 AM / IP Logged  
boxmaker85 wrote:
lol had to say something b/c i could see some newbie wondering why he is only able to measure one peanut in his 1" x 1" x 1" measuring box at a time.  and wondering why his box sounds so crappy.  You never know about people today
i had a bad picture of that in my head too, but it was me doing the work -_-
thanks for clarifation lol
awhitcomb615 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: December 24, 2004 at 2:05 PM / IP Logged  
ok im so friggin confused. Im building a custom encloser that molds to my trunk. Im not really sure what you guys are talking about with those packing peanuts. I know you need the right volume for your subs to sound good. Im just not sure how to achive the right volume. i guess this is where those plastic peanuts come in right??? so what do i do or how do i measure it?
Stanford1621 
Copper - Posts: 53
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2005 at 9:46 AM / IP Logged  
the "packing peanut" method can only tell you how much volume is in an enclosure the best thing to do is try and measure the space of the enclosure as it is being builg by getting an average width, heigth and depth and figuire airspace from that but remember build it slightly larger becuase it is easier to subtract airspace then add more once your done add packing peanuts to get an closer measurement of airspace then fine tune from there.
JShane 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: January 19, 2005 at 6:35 PM / IP Logged  

When using packing peanuts you must use small ones like the ones used in bean bags if you want more accurate volume.  I personally use Sand but if you use sand get it ALL out before using the box. 

Master Asylum 
Silver - Posts: 400
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2005 at 10:24 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the clarification Shane. (I was about to ask, why kinda peanuts are you supposed to use and how tightly do you fit them.) Thanks to Stanford as well (I prolly shoulda figured that out but my brain is on leave right now.)

Though I read somewhere, if you build slightly smaller, you can always stuff it with acoustistuff or whatever, right?

1998 Monte Carlo w/
Eclipse CD8454
2xRockford 5.25" Power 2-way T152C
2xRockford 6"x9" Punch 3-way FRC4369
1xMemphis 16-MCH1300 5-channel
2xKicker 12" L5 Solobaric-2 Ohm
johnnyb1231 
Member - Posts: 34
Member spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2005 at 12:15 AM / IP Logged  
i actually dont care for using packing peanuts... i put a garbage bag into the enclosure and poor water in till its full then dump it into a bucket and measure liters than convert to cubic feet
Master Asylum 
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2005 at 10:26 AM / IP Logged  
... Water leaks from trash bags, easily.... I guess if you don't have any water issues that'd work. I personally am not a friend of water.
1998 Monte Carlo w/
Eclipse CD8454
johnnyb1231 
Member - Posts: 34
Member spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2005 at 9:38 PM / IP Logged  
thats why you get the heavy duty contractor bag... ive neve had one leak on me yet
Master Asylum 
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2005 at 10:37 AM / IP Logged  
I have... Like everytime. I really figured that ya know, nails don't get through it easily, why would liquid. Yeah, the porch was pretty wet after that idea. Atleast I got it outside before it leaked. GIven for short use, that may not be a problem, but prolonged could be bad. And anyways, water is constantly wanting to move, how do you keep the bag from just tipping over and pooring all out? Sure you can do it again, but you know how pissed and demotivating that'd be? What is the economical ratio on the two ideas? (Mainly how much are the bags vs the peanuts which are like infinite for reuseable.)
1998 Monte Carlo w/
Eclipse CD8454
oonikfraleyoo 
Gold - Posts: 1,069
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2005 at 12:00 AM / IP Logged  
I like the bag idea. But why not sand in the bag? Alot of boxes have MDF and water could destroy your whole project with a leak or spill. Sand would measure very accuratly and with the bag it would fix the clean up problems associated with sand.
Nik
Jeeputer Progress
[|||||||||||-] 90%
Check it out.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic