icon

Proper Fiberglass thicknees

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
drsnoze 
Copper - Posts: 66
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2004 at 10:59 AM / IP Logged  
What is the proper thickness in order to handle 4 JL 10 W0s. Is 2 layers of fleece enough or should i add more?
ice4life8269 
Copper - Posts: 112
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2004 at 1:31 PM / IP Logged  

you are only supposed to use the fleece for the initial "shape".... so you only use one layer of that. the rest of the layers are fiberglass and resin..... i always used at least 8 layers of 'glass, but somone in this forum said to make your 'glass as thick as your MDF, and i thought about it, and that deffiately makes sense, and you won't have to worry about flexing at all.... and i don't know what your plans are for you enclosure, but i'd make 4 seperate chambers, just a thought.. good luck

dj

boxmaker85 
Silver - Posts: 433
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2004 at 1:39 PM / IP Logged  
The thickness depends upon what weight of fg you are using and how much pressure the subs are pushing.  If you're using the standard 1.5 oz mat then yeah bout 8 layers for a good strong enclosure.  If you're using a thick 4 oz cloth then only 2 layers are actually needed.  If you've got a low power system then a sandwich of fleece, a layer of 4 oz cloth and another fleece would probably do.  But I wouldn't recomend that for anything that pushes more than like 150 watts.  It's strong but could flex.
ice4life8269 
Copper - Posts: 112
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2004 at 1:45 PM / IP Logged  
fleece is difficult to finnish, that's why your final layer should be 'glass, not fleece. when you get good at it, you won't need much bondo or any other kind of filler to make it smooth
dpaton 
Copper - Posts: 141
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2004 at 2:08 PM / IP Logged  
4 10W0s will need a well braced box of ~ 1/4" thickness, or a less well braced box that is thicker. The enemy of good bas is a flexible box. When the box flexes, that's energy not being turned into sound in the car. I've been around and around with the stealthbox like enclosure for the second 10W6 in my Civic. After 5 tries, I finally have one that won't wiggle when I pump the low end. 1/4" thick (1 layer fleece, 6 layers 4oz mat, vacuum bagged), 1/4" baltic birch (1 layer of 1.5oz mat) braces every 8", and a 1/2" baltic birch baseplate was the recipe that finally worked. 4 10W0s will need something similar if they share an airspace.
-dave
This is not a sig. This is a duck. Quack.
drsnoze 
Copper - Posts: 66
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2004 at 3:28 PM / IP Logged  

thanks guys. you guys are so help full. I was alittle afraid to ask that question because i was afriad you was going to get bashed for being a noob ect.

When u guys say use fleece to get the shape and then glass over it, should i be using mat or cloth(weave look)?

So in theroy you cant add to many layers of glass but it seems 8 layers after fleece is minimum.

audiomechanic 
Silver - Posts: 388
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2004 at 5:53 PM / IP Logged  
resin hardened fleece and speaker box carpet are the easiest thing to finish if you are using polyester primer and the enclosure is filled from the inside.
boxmaker85 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2004 at 8:44 PM / IP Logged  

dpaton you've got how much crap in that thing?  For just one 10w6?  Curves are fiberglass's favorite thing and in a tire well you've got more curves than a river. 

You can use as much fg as you want just make sure it doesn't flex.  You can use mat but you'll probably be using more of it.  Cloth tends to be thicker in weight and is normally stronger than the mat.  I would do the cloth and have about 2 or three layers (which ever you're comfortable with) of the 4 oz stuff (or 6 oz if you think you'll need it).  But for four speakers in seperate chambers 3 layers of 4oz should be plenty.  Good luck.

dpaton 
Copper - Posts: 141
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2004 at 9:22 PM / IP Logged  
boxmaker85 wrote:

dpaton you've got how much crap in that thing?  For just one 10w6?  Curves are fiberglass's favorite thing and in a tire well you've got more curves than a river. 

Yup, you read that right. JL's box is rougly the same, only with a different kind of resin and chop instead of bagged mat, and 1 fewer brace.
Put your hand on my box when it's really going, and there is no flex. The JL wiggles a little bit. The weak MDF box I used originally cracked in a few places. My woofers don't exercise much, but when they do they work hard. As for the shape, it's on the side of the trunk, not in the well. It's not as curvy as I like, but it'll do.
-dave
And yes, I'm a little nuts about bass. Ask me about the Contras some time.
This is not a sig. This is a duck. Quack.
boxmaker85 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2004 at 9:54 PM / IP Logged  
oh ok.  Yeah now that I think of it the w6 has some power behind it.  Makes sense.
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic