Proper Fiberglass thicknees

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ndm 
Member - Posts: 31
Member spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2004 at 4:04 PM / IP Logged  
boxmaker85 wrote:

Yes the cloth is flat.  Looking at the fg cloth when it's flat up being the y direction x going across and an imaginary z axis coming up toward you.  You have an x and y direction.  But it's not in terms of a graph necicarily but as the cloth's components of x and y.  And some woven cloth is not very tightly woven.  Take carbon fiber for example.  Extremely strong right?  But you normally tape the cut edges to prevent it from coming undone so easily.  Now not it's not falling appart loose but you get what I'm saying.  The moral of the story:  Fiberglass cloth is stronger then mat.

To answer realitycheck:  It's the other way around and normally a bigger ratio.  You usually only have to put like 2 layers of cloth down to get like 7 or 8 layer's of mat.  Cloth is normally a heavier weight (4 or more oz.)  while cloth is either 3/4 or 1.5 oz.  You could put down about 2 layers of 4 oz cloth and it would be about equal to 6-8 layers of 1.5 oz mat.  A 10 layer clothed enclosure would support like 10 13w7 subs running 1000 watts each.  Enough to park your whole car on (well, maybe depends on what car).

this is true to a certain extent....but did you know that the cloth is measureed most times in yards squared and the mat is measured in ft squared?

which means that 1.5 oz mat measured the same way cloth is measured is actually 4.5 oz.

now if you take 1 pound of cloth and 1 pound of mat then yes the cloth is stronger...but the way i feel is that to me the mat builds up alot quicker. im not super worried about weight so i would rather use mat....

just sharing some knowledge....

i just registered...this is a nice forum...im more active on the truck forums....okay im rambling on see ya

do it right the first time ....or do it again and again and again...
boxmaker85 
Silver - Posts: 433
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2004 at 5:50 PM / IP Logged  
I stand corrected ndm.  Totally forgot about that.  But I still prefer the cloth.  If you have already taken the mat back then get the cloth and put two layers of that down.  For two 12" then that should be good.  If you still have the mat, ndm's right w/ mat building up faster.  It's up to you. Good luck and keep the questions comming.
boxmaker85 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2004 at 5:55 PM / IP Logged  
I've been thinking which is better... laying the fg on the outside of the box or the inside behind the fleece?  or does it really matter?  I've mostly seen the laying on the outside but sometimes I see it on the inside if it can be done.
drsnoze 
Copper - Posts: 66
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2004 at 8:24 PM / IP Logged  

i kinda feel as if i am a bee keeper and i have acidentally knocked over the bee hive.  But i like reading the post, to get everyones point of view and make a mix of ideas.

So you think a layer of fleece and then 2 layers of mat then 4 layers of cloth would but more than enough to handle 4 WO's?

realitycheck 
Silver - Posts: 751
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2004 at 7:19 AM / IP Logged  
Well I took the mat back and got me some cloth I layed down one layer of it last night, and it is so much better than mat.  It lays down a 1000 times easier and conforms to the curves way easier. I think that from now on I will use cloth, but I think im still going to put down like 6 layers of cloth because its just so thin.
boxmaker85 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2004 at 8:08 AM / IP Logged  

drsnoze:  Yeah that should definately be good.  Are you seperating the chambers?  And remember whenever possible use mdf for those flat sides (mdf can be stronger on flat areas.  unless you use like 1/2 inch of fiberglass.

ndm 
Member - Posts: 31
Member spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2004 at 9:48 AM / IP Logged  

boxmaker85 wrote:
I've been thinking which is better... laying the fg on the outside of the box or the inside behind the fleece?  or does it really matter?  I've mostly seen the laying on the outside but sometimes I see it on the inside if it can be done.

im doing it on both the outside and the inside....i just like to do it that way when i can....

im also going for like 1/2 in thick walls....im most concerned  about the large les curvasious portions of the enclosure. so actually it will be like around 1/4 in in the corners but 1/2in on the flat portions.

do it right the first time ....or do it again and again and again...
drsnoze 
Copper - Posts: 66
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2004 at 10:42 AM / IP Logged  
Shoud i separate the chambers?
realitycheck 
Silver - Posts: 751
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2004 at 12:47 PM / IP Logged  
I would seperate them! Just usually sound better seperated.
boxmaker85 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2004 at 1:33 PM / IP Logged  
If you can then yes seperate them.  It gives the sub better airspace to react against and if one happens to blow then the other(s) doesn't have to push all that extra air in the box.  More of a safety measure but sometimes adds to the sound quality.
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic