icon

installing amp with stock HU

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
peterw244 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2004 at 12:37 PM / IP Logged  

My friend Mike is getting Two Rockford P3s and wants to put them into a sealed enclosure. The only problem is that he wants to keep the stock HU for now, speakers the same b/c they are BOSE and it comes with an amp to that. my only problem is which Rockford amplifier would work the best for 800RMS and how can you go about putting this in?  Thanks in advance.

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2004 at 1:44 PM / IP Logged  

What vehicle is this in? List the exact model # of the subs please.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
peterw244 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2004 at 4:19 PM / IP Logged  
sorry I forgot, its a 1995 Mazda Mellina, stock bose speakers and amp....wanting to put in two Rockford Model: P310D4 in an enclosure in the truck, need an appropriate amp and wiring to make it work right
hurtado_roberto 
Copper - Posts: 196
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2004 at 6:57 PM / IP Logged  

You can either wire them in 4 ohm or 1 ohm.  I think amplifiers capable of running at 1ohm bridged are a bit expensive so you should wire them for 4ohm like this if bridged.

installing amp with stock HU -- posted image.

You can also wire them in stereo; one on each channel like this to give you a 2ohm load.

installing amp with stock HU -- posted image.

With these configurations you will need an amplifier rated at 800x1 @4 omh bridged RMS or 400x2 @2ohm.  The newest Rockford Fosgate amp which provides this is the P8002.  I have one of these but it's pushing a pair of pentagon sony's.  It sounds too loud for me sometimes but I think I'm going to upgrade to P3 someday soon.  I had last years model and it sounded pretty good as well (801s I think).  You can get these from e-bay provably around $300.  I bought mine from best buy because of their great extended 4-year warranty which is pretty liniant.  If anything goes bad you can return it to them and they will send it to the manufacture and you can get a brand new amp.

I hope this helped.  I'm not too experienced but I generally like to match my subs brands and series with the same type of amp.  I think they were designed with respect to each other and diffrent brands might under rate or over rate their products.

Poly Dollies
peterw244 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2004 at 10:02 PM / IP Logged  

alright thanks a lot, also...I heard that you cant change the headunit that easily to aftermarket and do any rewiring because of bypassing the stock amp

anybody have anything on that before i begin to take a look at the vehicle in two weeks. how to go about that

boxmaker85 
Silver - Posts: 433
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2004 at 10:15 PM / IP Logged  

Changing the stock bose to an aftermarket isn't easy but can be done.  Hooking up an aftermarket amp to a factory hu is rather simple.  Just check to see if the amp has speaker level inputs and hook it up (splice into the speakers' wire).  If not get a LOC and splice into you're speaker wire and hook that up to the LOC and then that up to the amp.

As far as amps:  Kicker KX850.2   and the already mentioned rockford would be my first of choices.

Good luck

peterw244 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2004 at 10:20 PM / IP Logged  
thanks, i appreciate the help
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 18, 2004 at 10:37 PM / IP Logged  
You may need something like this PAC to add an amp to that bose stuff.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
hurtado_roberto 
Copper - Posts: 196
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2004 at 11:45 AM / IP Logged  
Where is the best or usuall place to install a line output converter?  Is it a good Idea to stuff it behind the HU?
Poly Dollies
peterw244 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2004 at 8:54 PM / IP Logged  
if i do it like that bottom one, 1 (4ohm) sub=2ohm load, and in two channels how would you go about wiring the subs themselves? get 18ga speaker wire, wire both of the negatives wit neg n pos on the wire n going to negative on the terminal,  wire both positives on the sub wit neg n pos on the wire then to the positive on the terminal??  please reply i jus wana make sure
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic