icon

What is a Good Capacitor?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
hurtado_roberto 
Copper - Posts: 196
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2004 at 12:23 PM / IP Logged  

On most newer cars, adding a 1000w amp would probably not require an alternator upgrade right.  That's 1000w peak so RMS is probably less than 500w.  I'm running a RF P8002 with a 4ohm load which RMS 400W and I have 2 smaller RF amps with 45w x2 RMS.  That's 600W RMS and my lights are not dimming on my huyndai elantra.  I have a second battery which I installed for playing with the car off. 

Every car is different so maybe they designed mine with a bit more reserve.  Does a cap really improve bass responce or are the internal caps of an amplifier sufficient for spontaneous bass notes?

Poly Dollies
Wiseguy 
Copper - Posts: 159
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2004 at 1:11 PM / IP Logged  
correct me if im wrong but can a battery be considered as one large capacitor?
Clarion DXZ745MP
Kove ZX504
Kove AG1400
Kove 12" T3 Armageddon
Kove 6.5" Compaxials
WILDER 6.5" Pro-Audio Drivers
Custom Pre-amp
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2004 at 1:33 PM / IP Logged  

Wiseguy wrote:
correct me if im wrong but can a battery be considered as one large capacitor?

I suppose in a very general, basic layman's terms sort of way it could, but the two are entirely different types of devices and operate in entirely different ways.  A battery produces energy through an electro-chemical reaction, releasing voltage potential from the interaction of several compounds, while a capacitor simply stores a difference in charge potential.  A battery actually converts physical matter into electricity and back through a chemical reaction, while a capacitor does nothing more than allow an electric charge to build up on a plate.  A battery will generate its voltage all by itself, a cpacitor must be continually supplied with energy to maintain the charge potential across its plates.  A battery is a generator, a capacitor holds static electricity.  Without external influences, a battery can sit for very long periods of time and still have its ability to convert chemisrty into electricity, while a capacitor will eventually dissipate the temporary chages it stores on one plate to the other and it will equalize.  So, wihile on a very, very basic usage level both devices "store energy," a battery is considered an actual power source while a capacitor is simply a temporary storage area.

Support the12volt.com
boxmaker85 
Silver - Posts: 433
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2004 at 3:05 PM / IP Logged  
I'm planning on doing 1000 rms, not peak.  Looking into two JL 10w7 or one 12w7.  So is that news for a new alternator, a big cap, or a new bat?  Thanks for all the input.
DukeDuke 
Silver - Posts: 206
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2004 at 11:50 AM / IP Logged  
I am going to be running a Eclipse Titanium on a Memphis Mojo... 2000 watts peak, off of the stock battery and stock alt. in a Maxima, but I will be using a 2 Farad, maybe 3 farad cap, or would it be better to get a new battery, with a battery isolater, or just a bigger alt?
Duke Duke
fatgotti 
Copper - Posts: 177
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2004 at 12:15 PM / IP Logged  

I would start with a bigger alt. everthing electrical in a car depends on the alt (radio, amp, battery, cap) it all is supported by the alt. Thats were I would start anyway..

Fatgotti    Yeah my name is John and I am FAT!! YEAH BABY
DukeDuke 
Silver - Posts: 206
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2004 at 12:28 PM / IP Logged  
All right thank you sir!
Duke Duke
stefhelm 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2004 at 9:02 PM / IP Logged  
So i've got an MRD-M500 amp in my trunk. Its a 500W RMS, 900W Max digital amp that should draw no more that 60Amps. I've installed a cap to help reduce spikes in the current draw that may be hard on the alternator (noticed much clearer base with the cap, as well as less voltage drop on system during heavy base). The alt. I have puts out 130amps, and im getting some headlight dimming (car running with no other accesories on). My battery in nothing special, but it is new, 850CA. Im thinking the alt. is ok for the job so... Plan A is to upgrade factory ground off the battery, B maybe look into an Optima battery or something simmilar, C Turn the stereo down.. :(. Comments would be appreciated!
-Later.
Rushman 
Silver - Posts: 380
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2004 at 9:42 PM / IP Logged  
what is the make and model of the car stefhelm? Does it have power windows? Locks? Power seats? Power mirrors , rear defrost? you get the picture? If you have all this electrical going on in your car , you might want to look into upgrading your alternator. Im thinking your battery should be ok but the Optima never hurts either. Your cars alt.  might not have enough reserve to power the amp even with the Cap. Especially since the amp might draw up to 60 amps.
99 F-one fitty
Pioneer Premier H/U
Alpine EQ
Kicker 1200 amp
4 Kicker comp 10s
6 kicker SS65.2 components
stefhelm 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2004 at 10:13 PM / IP Logged  
its a loaded 01 jetta tdi, but like i mentioned, i this is with nothing but the day lights on - so there should be amps to spare. Thats why i think it might be something other that the alternator. Im wondering if the factory ground to the battery is unable to pass both the current from the amp AND the lights, you might get dim lights. 130A alt. 60amps for amp (at a maximum.. likely less). The remaining 70amp should power 2 headlights no? Heck.. Its diesel...I dont even have sparkplugs to spark :) .
Page of 8

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic