icon

What is a Good Capacitor?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
stefhelm 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: October 24, 2004 at 1:05 PM / IP Logged  
yes, false.. but you'd be relying on the smaller gauge wire that runs from your charging system to your battery to power your stereo. It would run with car off, but may not get sufficient current. Of course, all this wiring can be upgraded.
mpathy 
Member - Posts: 47
Member spacespace
Posted: October 24, 2004 at 7:08 PM / IP Logged  

OK I have read thru this whole section on capasitors and have gotten alot of ideas. I just installed a cap in mine pathfinder it is a .5 cap and I have two amps hooked up to it  ( 400w and 100w ) and my cross over as well.

Is this ok ? I also only have the fuse close to the battery shoul I add a second one ?

I just finished my install yeaterday and still have not check for the lights dimming but I will tonight to see if it has helped at all?

As far a charging the cap before use I followed the instructions of putting the resitor between the + wire and the cap ( by the way it was not a few seconds like they say) It took a coulpe of minuets to charge . I tested the battery and got a little over 12volts which is what my cap is at now. Is this the correct way to do it ?

tmallery 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: October 24, 2004 at 8:01 PM / IP Logged  
"Battery is the place for the powerwire. If you went to the alt. you would have power spiking problems, but also you wouldn't be able to run your system if the car wasn't on"
How is that false, If the alternator is not on it won't be producing any current istn't that right, or am I way off here.
tmallery 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: October 24, 2004 at 8:05 PM / IP Logged  
I have not yet charged my cap so I can say for sure how long. But if the cap is reading 12 volts then it should be fine.
I never heard of putting a second fuse in, but it cant hurt, and im sure its a good idea.
A .5f cap is good for 500w, so you should be fine.
stefhelm 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 24, 2004 at 8:35 PM / IP Logged  
I agree with tmallery, .5f is supposed to be ok for a 500W system, so you should be ok, and it sound like you charged it right. As for the second fuse, thats up to you. the big thing to remember is that you now have a power source at the cap which will remain charged. So don't disconnect your battery cables and throw the + cable against your car ;) . Its just a safety, I dont think most guys do it, but the reason is exactly the same as why you but a fuse close to the battery.
Tmallery, with the alternator hook up thing.. there is a pretty direct connection from your battery to the alt. Even with the alt. at a stand still, I think you will find that the + output terminal is still hot since it hooks nearly directly to your + on your battery. Im pretty sure i remember sending sparks flying while swaping out an alternator without disconnecting the battery.... oops.
boxmaker85 
Silver - Posts: 433
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 24, 2004 at 8:58 PM / IP Logged  

Would a cap do any good w/ 500 watts?  Sounds kinda nominal for a car of any sort of recent production years.  The car w/ a decent bat should be able to support a 500 watts system right?  My friend's got a .5 farad cap for a 600 watt system.  We disconected it and it made no difference.  I think he wasted the $70 (or more) he spent on it.

stefhelm 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 24, 2004 at 9:06 PM / IP Logged  
sadly, i think a 600W system is not going to give a .5f cap a chance to ever charge all the way. They are recomended for 500w max. My amp is 500rms, 900max and with a 1 farad cap i noticed clearer base and more stable voltage overall. With previous smaller systems I never tried a cap - never thought i needed it. In you buddies case I dont think its helping. 1 farad may clean up sound and current, but if you're happy with the sound and not having electrical problems, I dont think i'd bother. Of course, sometimes they look cool, and thats all the justification you need.. lol.
mpathy 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 24, 2004 at 9:06 PM / IP Logged  

Well I only paid $45 for mine and have not had the chance to see if is makes a difference .

So you are saying the my truck should be able to hadel the 500 watts? I have a 96 nissan pathfinder. My alt. I belive is reated at 90 amp I think?????  I had the system hooked up with out the cap and had the lights dimming .. Going to see what it does now... I am running 4ga pwr to the cap and 8ga to the amps and ground .... is that ok ?

stefhelm 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 24, 2004 at 9:16 PM / IP Logged  
i think the wiring makes sense. you've got it split after the cap from 4ga to two 8 gauge wires, and each amp with an 8ga grnd. Check the factory ground that goes from your neg. terminal on your battery to the truck body. If you are in need of 4ga power leaving your battery, you should have 4ga coming back to the battery. Mine was to small (and a crappy looking connection), so I just took a leftover chunck of 4ga and made a new ground from battery to body. (I left the old one in... it was easier then finding the other end, plus it cant hurt). This can clean up dimming, since the headlights are trying damn hard to share that small ground connection that your amp is hogging. I still think the cap should clean up sound quality and current fluctuation for ya.
mpathy 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 24, 2004 at 9:41 PM / IP Logged  

So 4ga to the cap then 8ga out to amps is ok ?   I will be upgrading my negative to my bat soon . Will keep you posted . I have noticed a nicer bass sound since the cap but I thing my sub out on the EQ is acting up is it is in and out at time but that is for a different post..LOL But it is cleaner sounding ....

Page of 8

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic