the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

'99 Integra FG Box

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 09, 2004 at 9:16 PM / IP Logged  

The box looks like an alien kinda, , lookin cool tho!

2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
93accordSE 
Copper - Posts: 203
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 09, 2004 at 10:00 PM / IP Logged  
Ericbkny, interesting. I'll have to look into that. Should have let me know before I already used mat. No biggie, the traditional way works right?  I am going to work on the sanding tomorrow, hope to finish this box soon.
erickbkny28 
Copper - Posts: 54
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 10, 2004 at 12:11 AM / IP Logged  
Yeah.. The traditional way always works. But it's now called OLD SCHOOL.. The expanding powder is NEW SCHOOL. LOL...    Oh yeah I forgot to tell you something, It not cheap. And you can find it at your local marina.
realitycheck 
Silver - Posts: 751
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 10, 2004 at 9:31 AM / IP Logged  

Is this stuff strong enough too hold the pressure of the subs?  And can you order this stuff on the net? If so where at?

I'm assuming it is im just asking though.

erickbkny28 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 10, 2004 at 11:48 AM / IP Logged  
This stuff is very very strong, and will hold the pressure from the subs. You can order it from http://www.shopmaninc.com/fillers.html  (Aerosil-Cabosil). It's best to buy the 4gal or 10lbs bag.
realitycheck 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 10, 2004 at 12:18 PM / IP Logged  

So how much will a 4gal bag do. How much too make the inside about an inch thick?

And how does this stuff work, do you just mix it and then spread it on an inch thick on the inside and then youre done, or is there something im missing?

erickbkny28 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 10, 2004 at 1:47 PM / IP Logged  

You can do about 30 boxes with a 4 gal and about 80 with a 10lbs bag. It all depends on how thick you make it, and how much you use. For an enclosure with 2 12" subs, you don't really have you go an inch thick, you can go a half inch thick. 

I mix mine at 1:1 ratio, some people do a 2:1 ratio

There's a web site that sells how-to DVD's. I have all there DVD's and they are very very good for first time builders. http://www.glassmanscustomforum.com/howtodvds.html

After I saw theys How-To DVD's This was the first enclosure I built. http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=4937988&uid=2492971&members=1

Not to bad for my first project.

realitycheck 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 10, 2004 at 3:27 PM / IP Logged  
Thats a pretty awesome looking box, I saw the peanut butter stuff inside the box,  that looks pretty neat.  On my next box I will definately be trying that.  So how does that box sound, and how did you plug the holes you cut in the bottom of it?
erickbkny28 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 10, 2004 at 3:43 PM / IP Logged  

The box sounds great, I had to add some speaker box stuffing, there was to much air space inside, but now this sounds perfect.

I put the two pieces back with duck tape then filled the outside cracks with 40/40 and then  filled  the inside cracks with the resin expander.

realitycheck 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 10, 2004 at 3:55 PM / IP Logged  

So it looks like you made it about 1/4 to an 1/2 inch thick with that stuff did you just apply it all at one time or do you kinda have to do it like a layer at a time?

And last question I promise, is it hard to work with or is it pretty easy to get it in there and spread it?

Page of 8

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic