icon

'99 Integra FG Box

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
erickbkny28 
Copper - Posts: 54
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 10, 2004 at 4:22 PM / IP Logged  

NO layers... I did one side at a time.  It's not very hard to work with, but if you add too much hardener, then you'll have to work it fast. You can us a paint brush to apply the resin, remember it's almost as thick as peanut butter so it not going to drip all over the place.

Don't worry about the question, thats why we're all here, to ask and answer questions.

realitycheck 
Silver - Posts: 751
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 10, 2004 at 4:48 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the help man i'm definately gonna use that stuff for my next box.
erickbkny28 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 10, 2004 at 4:51 PM / IP Logged  
Anytime.  Good Luck.
realitycheck 
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 02, 2004 at 10:09 AM / IP Logged  

Hey Accord93 you ever finish this box?

Also, next question about this Aerosil-Cabosil is this stuff good for a box, how come no-one else uses it that ive seen is it just kind of new technology or what?

Learning the trade one fiberglass creation at a time!
erickbkny28 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 02, 2004 at 12:16 PM / IP Logged  

It's not really a new technology, Boat builders have been using it for years. The reason I think  there aren't to many guys using it, it's because it's a-little expensive. But I think it the best for fiberglass enclsures.

First.  It cuts down on time. Second. There's no need for fiberglass mat. and best of all, it cuts down the amount of resin used.

Ckeck out the How-To DVD's from this web site, they'll teach you how to use the Aerosil. www.fiberglassing.net

realitycheck 
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 02, 2004 at 1:33 PM / IP Logged  
I dont see how its more expensive when you use less resin, which is the most expensive part $25 a gallon or so. Plus you dont have to buy mat or cloth which I payed $4 a bag for and had to use about 6 or 7 bags I think.  Also, like you said way less time building the thing.   But you're saying theres no bad sides to this stuff is what im asking?
erickbkny28 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 02, 2004 at 1:52 PM / IP Logged  

I've been using it for about 1 year and I've done 5 enclsures with it, and I've never had any problems, And the owner from GCF also told me he's never had any problems with the product and he's been using it for alot longer.

You still need to buy resin. You mix the expander with the resin at a 2:1 ratio. The best part is you can make the side of your enclosure as thick as you want. I made an enclosure with 4 15" sub-woofer, so I need a strong box. The inside of the enclosure is more than 1 inch thick. ( Think about how much chop mat you would need to make an enclosure 1 inch thick.)

realitycheck 
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 02, 2004 at 2:16 PM / IP Logged  

Yeah I understood you still have to buy resin, I just meant that its less resin than all you would need to do a box with mat right? 

Also do you mean 2 parts powder : 1 part resin or the other way around?

Also do you just apply this with a spreader, or do you use a paint brush? Which is easier?

thanks man for the help.

erickbkny28 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 02, 2004 at 2:31 PM / IP Logged  

2 parts expander 1 part resin, or mix it until it's as thick as peanut butter.

The easy way for me is with a 2" or 3" spreader.

If your looking into getting some expander, go to your local marina, they should have some in stock.

erickbkny28 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 02, 2004 at 2:36 PM / IP Logged  

2 parts expander 1 part resin, or mix it until it's as thick as peanut butter.

This may sound stupied but, Don't forget to add the MECP after you've mixed the resin and expander together.  ( I explained how to use the expander to someone, and he got mad at me because I didn't tell him to add the MECP after he mixed the resin and expander, he kept mixing the MECP at the beginning and was wondering why it got hard so fast. LOL) It sound funny but it's a true story..

The easy way for me is with a 2" or 3" spreader.

If your looking into getting some expander, go to your local marina, they should have some in stock.

Page of 8

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic