Wiring For ’86 Chev Nova

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bighauns 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2004 at 7:59 AM / IP Logged  

Hey!!

A buddy of mine had his car broken into and his deck stolen.  What they did was they cut on the "car" side of the wiring harness, so there are no stock plugs left for a new wiring harness to plug into.  I was wondering if anyone knew what or where I can find out the stock colors and what they correspond to on the deck harness.  Basically, how do I go about hooking this up without a harness, without guessing and checking every wire.

Any help would be greatly apprectiated.

Thanks!!

Alex

bighauns 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2004 at 8:01 AM / IP Logged  

Oh yeah, while I am at it....

Him and another friend tried to hook it up, and they got some stuff working, but when the headlights turned on, the deck would shut off....and when they turned the headlights off, the deck would turn on.  Is this because there is not a proper wiring harness?  Is there an easy fix to this problem?  Will a wiring diagram help that?

Thanks again!!

Alex

kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 21, 2004 at 9:30 AM / IP Logged  

they probably have the grey dimmer lead mixed up with the grey speaker wire.....

you have to be careful because there are 2 greys, 2 yellows and 2 browns and they serve different functions.... verify all your wiring with a meter before you begin.....

Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
bighauns 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2004 at 10:25 AM / IP Logged  

Cool, yeah I haven't seen the car yet, so I don't even know what they tried but that totally sounds right.  Any other suggestions?  I think that I can pickup a reverse harness to turn the stock wires back into plugs again :-) and then get the normal wiring harness in case he wants to switch decks again in the future.

Thanks!

Alex

bring on the boom!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic