icon

converting songs to mp3

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Audiobahn1500 
Copper - Posts: 91
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 25, 2004 at 12:16 AM / IP Logged  

I'm with pimpincavy i use both of the programs he metioned dbpoweramp and roxio and it works great for me i havent had any real problems with it at all yet'

Chad

tnelsonx2x 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: October 25, 2004 at 4:22 AM / IP Logged  
So far..i've been using nero. All of my music is in mp3 format. What I have in m4a format ( mac itunes) I convert to mp3 format and use nero. my 2 cents
tomos 
Copper - Posts: 78
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 25, 2004 at 6:50 AM / IP Logged  
Slightly off topic. I used to burn all my mp3's to cd for my old head unit. But my new Nakamichi cd-400 (what I would consider a high end deck) doesn't play Mp3's, but does have an aux in. I experimented with burning mp3's in uncompressed wav/cda format (Regular cd format) to a disc for the Nak deck or simply plugging my Creative Nomad Zen xtra mp3 player into the aux. Maybe it comes down to personal choice with the Zen/Nak DAC or what burning mp3s to a cd does (although uncompressing an mp3 shouldn't result in any more loss). But in this instance discs created from what were high quality (190/256kbps) mp3's sounds completely different to my Zen. I don't actually use Cd's anymore, a bit of a waste for such a nice cd player but the Zen sounds so much better and also plays uncompressed Cd's.
What's that flippie??
cache 
Member - Posts: 37
Member spacespace
Posted: October 25, 2004 at 10:56 PM / IP Logged  
kfr01, i got everting installed an working except for the freedb thing, it still doesnt work even after i did the fix. and also does it really take that long to convert the songs ( it was going to take 2 hours at that rate, for one cd)
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 25, 2004 at 11:09 PM / IP Logged  

Hmm..  What is taking a long time, the ripping from the cdrom drive or the compression to mp3?

freedb ... you probably have a firewall issue.

New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
cache 
Member - Posts: 37
Member spacespace
Posted: October 26, 2004 at 4:17 PM / IP Logged  
i think it is doing it both at the same time.
evanc 
Copper - Posts: 148
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 26, 2004 at 4:27 PM / IP Logged  
I use Creative Playcenter to rip all my CDs and convert em. It worked great, and fast. I ripped them all at 128 kbs for space issues, but they sound excellent. See if you have any friends with that software that will let you borrrow it for a while.
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 26, 2004 at 7:46 PM / IP Logged  

128kbps is not quality sound.  On decent quality equipment you will hear a significant downgrade in quality from 256 to 128k.  If you can't hear the difference you either already killed your hearing or your equipment is not up to par.

Cache.. mine take less than 15 min on a 2.4ghz machine.  What are you using?

New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 26, 2004 at 8:48 PM / IP Logged  
If you MUST listen to mp3's (shudder) then use Easy CD-DA Extractor... 30 bux, and it'll get you LIFETIME updates, rip and convert on the fly, will rip to mp3, mp4, m4a, aac, mpc, wma ogg, flac, aiff, ape, and wav (ADPCM and standard Windows). It will also convert from any of these formats to any of the other formats, plays them all, too. I have an Opteron 2.8 with 512MB, and I can rip an entire album in about 8 minutes... (That's my laptop) My desktop machine is dual 2.4 with 2GB, and I can do it in about 5 minutes. The rip speed will depend on the quality of your CDROM, I use (ALWAYS, without exception) Lite-On or Plextor. These have proven themselves over and over in all of my machines as well in all of the reviews I have read. Another option, (although I have never been able to get it to work) would be an application called EAC or Exact Audio Copy. This will allow yu to extract all of the audio (supposedly) perfectly, even from badly scratched CDs. If anybody can make it work let me know how you did it - I have a few CDs that are out-of-print, and need to recover them somehow.
My $.02 - converting songs to mp3 - Page 2 -- posted image.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 26, 2004 at 8:55 PM / IP Logged  
1) Almost forgot - Poikosoft is where you download it.
2) In the car, I will admit that it would be tough to hear the difference between wav (Red Book Audio) and 320kbps, but I PROMISE you, (unless you have already ruined your hearing) you would never listen to mp3 again (at ANY data rate) if you heard them on a GOOD system.
3) When burning mp3 to cd for playback in the car, do not burn it as an audio CD, but do it as a data CD, the player will know the difference, and will do the reading correctly.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic