the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

converting songs to mp3

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 26, 2004 at 9:37 PM / IP Logged  

haemphyst .. I use Exact Audio Copy.  It is the recommended ripping software in the guide I posted.  It is not perfect, but has churned through a few old and beat up cds better than any other ripping software I've seen.  

I also agree with you re: Lite-On and Plextor.  They are the reliable choices in optical computer drives. 

New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
cache 
Member - Posts: 37
Member spacespace
Posted: October 26, 2004 at 11:53 PM / IP Logged  
Why dont you guys like MD or MP3, is there something better that you use? Or do you just have a stack of like 200 cd's sitin in your car.
kfr01 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 27, 2004 at 12:19 AM / IP Logged  

mp3 is _fine_ if recorded at a high enough bitrate >256kbps. 

It is not, however, ideal.  Ever.  mp3 is a lossy format and quality will ALWAYS degrade from the original.  Every time.  On a good stereo you will hear the difference. 

Since it IS more convenient to use mp3 because of storage, people do.  Furthermore, since 99% of most car systems, mine included, are not that great, you probably won't tell much of a difference (if the bitrate is high >256).  Just know and remember that it is not the same as CD and is less than ideal. 

I'll hook up an mp3 player when I'm in a hurry or just want to listen to something not caring about the quality (rap/r&b/pop).

If I'm looking for the best quality, however, and I care about how it sounds, yes, I do keep the CD in the car.  (usually my jazz/classical cds). 

To sum up:

1)  If you want the best quality use the original CD. 

2)  If you need to use mp3 because of convenience at least record at 256kbps.  The higher the better!
3)  Always remember that mp3 is a degraded and compressed format.  If you want the best possible quality then keep the CD around. 

cache 
Member - Posts: 37
Member spacespace
Posted: October 27, 2004 at 12:48 AM / IP Logged  
So do those memory things for in-car music like the "music-keg" or "omnifi" keep good sound quality? What are some other good ones?
tbirdman74 
Copper - Posts: 164
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 27, 2004 at 3:58 AM / IP Logged  
haemphyst, I have used, and still on occasion use EAC, but my machine is stone age compared to what i have seen in this thread.  I run it on a pentium 233Mhz MMX with 256K, and the extracting, depending on the disc damage will vary from 2-30 minutes, but for me the mp3 rip, is not a viable time option.  To rip an average album, I am looking at killing the better part of an afternoon, and maybe the evening if something bad happens.  But the EAC style of checking, and then rechecking the data, will definitley please you when it comes to old and damaged cds.  I even did a little test, and lit a cd on fire, just enough to char the data layer a little, and it still extracted the music from it, then broke the cd, and super glued it back together.  Just a single break down the middle.  And once again it extracted.  Not quite as perfect as the first time, but for most people the difference is inaudible.  I definetely recommend EAC to anyone trying to recover damaged music cd's.I have the website somewhere...http://www.ExactAudioCopy.de/  But it is not for the faint of heart, as it does contain some extensive setup options, that if not just right, wasted days..  Good Luck.
If it don't fit, Force it.
If it breaks, You needed a new one anyway!
russ lund 
Copper - Posts: 188
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 27, 2004 at 12:27 PM / IP Logged  
I know there is a sonic difference from 128k to 256k,but when you start your vehicle or listen to crap you can't hear the difference.I have a DJ service and I rip at 128k(Musicmatch software) and it's damn hard to hear the difference between my CD's and mp3.Don't use Roxio's mp3 converter it has an annoying whistle in it.
BigDog
tomos 
Copper - Posts: 78
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 27, 2004 at 12:32 PM / IP Logged  
Personally I can always tell the difference at 128k. 192 barely. I'm waiting til the next generation of compressed music to be built into players. A lot of them will be 100% lossless like flac.
http://flac.sourceforge.net/
What's that flippie??
kfr01 
Posted: October 27, 2004 at 2:48 PM / IP Logged  

russ lund wrote:
I know there is a sonic difference from 128k to 256k,but when you start your vehicle or listen to crap you can't hear the difference.I have a DJ service and I rip at 128k(Musicmatch software) and it's damn hard to hear the difference between my CD's and mp3.Don't use Roxio's mp3 converter it has an annoying whistle in it.

Again, if you can't hear the difference either you've already cooked your hearing or your equipment is not good.  Might be both on DJ equipment.

Rushman 
Silver - Posts: 380
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 27, 2004 at 6:15 PM / IP Logged  
I havent heard (or read) anybody using the Music Match music system. I use that one and am pretty satisfied. It came with the computer when I bought it. I honestly dont know all the stats on it but I havent had a bad burn on reg speed or mp3. You checked it out and its a free download , nothing to purchase. Musicmatch.com .  Just another suggestion
99 F-one fitty
Pioneer Premier H/U
Alpine EQ
Kicker 1200 amp
4 Kicker comp 10s
6 kicker SS65.2 components
Mr_Fusion 
Copper - Posts: 113
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 27, 2004 at 11:01 PM / IP Logged  
CD quality IS 128k. 256k is a waste of disk space.
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic