the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

converting songs to mp3

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 27, 2004 at 11:35 PM / IP Logged  
...if you are listening to a boombox, or your four dollar swap-o-rama PC speakers. If 128 kilo bits per second is CD quality, then why is CD sampling rate 1.44 MEGA bits per second? You must have gone to a modern day public school, 'cause when I went to school, 128,000 did NOT equal 1,440,000. That, or you weren't paying attention in math class...
I don't really want to argue, but "You are wrong, Mr_Fusion." 128k is only "CD quality", because that is what you have been told, and you have never actually HEARD the difference. I can hear the difference on my computer through my sound system. Granted, it is a 250 dollar speaker system, but it is HARDLY the reference quality I have in my car or my living room...
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 27, 2004 at 11:38 PM / IP Logged  

Mr. Fusion you are simply and completely WRONG.  CD quality is NOT 128k.  Do you understand the concept of lossy compression?  Sound?

128kbps is around 11:1 compression.  You THROW AWAY 90% of the information on the original.  See Walt Crawford, MP3 and CD-Quality Sound: The Laws of Physics have Not Been Repealed, at http://home.att.net/~wcc.techx/MP3.htm.

See also Marshall Brain, How Mp3 Files Work, at http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/mp31.htm ("When you are done creating an MP3 file, what you have is a "near CD quality" song. The MP3 version of the song does not sound exactly the same as the original CD song because some of it has been removed...").

New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
russ lund 
Copper - Posts: 188
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 28, 2004 at 2:51 PM / IP Logged  
Well pardon me,I had an instructor in our tech school that razzed us about our high priced low distortion amps and we just listened to distorted sh*t with it.If you sit with your $200-800 headphones with your over priced amp feeding them in you easy chair with a bottle of $500 brandy good for you.When I am competeing or displaying our products for a potential customer,yes I use a CD for the best experience.When I crusing in my 1987 Mustang GT with a noise floor of about 80db or play music in a sonic nightmare of a building 128kbs is more that adequate. 
BigDog
kfr01 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 28, 2004 at 3:52 PM / IP Logged  

russ lund wrote:
Well pardon me,I had an instructor in our tech school that razzed us about our high priced low distortion amps and we just listened to distorted sh*t with it.If you sit with your $200-800 headphones with your over priced amp feeding them in you easy chair with a bottle of $500 brandy good for you.When I am competeing or displaying our products for a potential customer,yes I use a CD for the best experience.When I crusing in my 1987 Mustang GT with a noise floor of about 80db or play music in a sonic nightmare of a building 128kbs is more that adequate. 

I don't think anyone here said anything you should have taken offense to.  haemphyst and I were merely stating raw facts.  mp3 IS lossy.  128 ISN'T as good as 256, NO MP3 is CD quality.  Humans can tell the difference.  Humans can tell the difference in cars.  These are facts. 

You say 128 is adequate.  I strongly disagree.  It is important to remember that we can both be right.  You shouldn't be offended by my opinion.  "Good enough" to any one individual is always a subjective inquiry.  It is just like anything else.  "Overpriced" between differing products and people is a matter of opinion.  It all comes down to personal values

It all boils down to a "good enough" discussion.  Usually these questions, those involving personal values, boil down to income and class considerations.  I don't like to get into these discussions.  Some people have the means to buy nicer things than others, a simple fact of life.  However, you should know that just because someone enjoys better quality music doesn't necessarily mean that I drink $500 brandy.  It is possible to value certain consumables more than others.  My furniture is cheap stuff from Ikea while I have a thing for custom tailored suits.  I simply value suits more than furniture.  I'm sure you value some aspects of your life more than others.  Why be offended when someone else expresses an opinion based on their values? 

We all value high quality sound, we wouldn't be here otherwise.  Usually obtaining an increase in a material product quality involves financial cost.  We balance our subjective values against cost to make purchasing decisions.  A product is "good enough" when we reach our price limit set by our values.  Here is what I don't understand:   It barely costs a thing to increase bitrate yet people insist on using 128kbps.  This makes absolutely no sense to me.  Storage media and hard drive space is so cheap it is negligable compared to the cost of our car systems.  Why not bump the bitrate up?  It is a FREE upgrade to something we obviously value (sound quality).  But alas, even if I don't understand, it is your value-based decision to make.  You've chosen storage space over sound quality. 

Just don't blame me or others for pointing out the fact that your choice is not ideal for sound quality.

tomos 
Copper - Posts: 78
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 28, 2004 at 4:24 PM / IP Logged  
For the people who value storage space over quality, quite honestly who needs or listens to over 10,000 songs at once? Download speed is a factor for most people when downloading and 128 is a fair compromise for most. Besides default encoding rate is 128 on almost every encoder I've used.
128 good enough for me? No, I can easily tell the difference even with road noise. Being a musician though I listen to music with great concentraion and harly ever have it in the background. When I had my diamond hex put in my car I got a headache listening to mp3 as they showed up more artifacts than I knew existed in compressed sound.
What's that flippie??
Mr_Fusion 
Copper - Posts: 113
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 28, 2004 at 5:45 PM / IP Logged  
Uhhh...I meant my post to be sarcastic...
I guess it wasn't this site that recently had a huge debate over bitrates...that is why I wrote what I did. Chill out people!
kfr01 
Posted: October 28, 2004 at 6:30 PM / IP Logged  

Sorry if I missed the sarcasm.  I'm bad at that.  :-)  Peace.

russ lund 
Copper - Posts: 188
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 29, 2004 at 11:15 AM / IP Logged  
Fair enough!
BigDog
Page of 4

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic