icon

How to get to those wires. 2003 grand am

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ray0266 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: October 24, 2004 at 7:25 PM / IP Logged  

What is the best way to get to the wires on this car to install a pheonix digital alram with an RS?

2003 Pontiac Grand AM SE1

Thanks

mo12v 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 2,748
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 24, 2004 at 7:43 PM / IP Logged  
Sorry, I got brain freeze............
If your ignition switch is on the dash, left of radio:
Remove front dash panel over radio
Remove Radio
Remove 2 10mm bolts holding Ignition switch to dash
Manuver and pull Ignition switch thru radio opening
****  U may need to disconnect Ignition Park Lock cable from shifter
MO
Don't Learn from Others Mistakes
You Might Be the One That Knows.
ray0266 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 24, 2004 at 7:55 PM / IP Logged  

Do i get to all other wires the same way? IE: starter killer, key on or parking break....

MO, as always you have been very helpful, thanks.

civicdownlow 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: October 24, 2004 at 7:57 PM / IP Logged  

i always just pull the insterment cluster out and pull the key cylinder through there lots of room to work

ray0266 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 24, 2004 at 8:02 PM / IP Logged  

Do you guys know of a site that will ilustrated how to remove instrument cluster/panel or the radio on cars? Trying to get the book for this car but it's too new looks like.

Thank for all of your help.

mo12v 
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 24, 2004 at 8:16 PM / IP Logged  

This is how I do these & Malibu's, but I am always open for anything else

P.S. Just remember, Disconnect battery and don't re-connect until U R SURE of ALL connections & re-install of components:
Pop off Key cover, Radio Panell pulls off, 3 9/32 screws hold radio in
How ever ,U might want to try , civicdownlow idea, I have not. 

Constant 12 voltsREDIGNITION SWITCH HARNESS
Ignition 12 voltsPINKIGNITION SWITCH HARNESS
StarterYELLOWIGNITION SWITCH HARNESS
Dome LightYELLOW (-)DRIVERS KICK *
Trunk Pin SwitchORANGE / BLACK (-)DRIVERS KICK BODY HARNESS
Parking LampBROWN (+)AT LIGHT SWITCH HARNESS
Power LockWHITEDRIVER KICK
Power UnlockSINGLE WIRE SYSTEMPANEL
* Opitional Door Triggers Located At Body Control Module Under Passenger Dash. L GREEN/ BLACK (-) Covers Driver Door, L BLUE (-) Covers All Other Doors. Diode Isolation Needed, Cathode (Band) Side Of Diode Faces OEM Wires. 
Single Wire Resistor Door Lock

Accessories
Window UpD\ D BLUE P\ L BLUE D\ D GREEN P\ L GREEN @ SWITCH IN DRIVERS DOOR
Window DownF/ BROWN F/ TAN R/ VIOLET R/ VIOLET
Ign Key WarnDARK GREEN (-)STEERING COLUMN HARNESS
Trunk ReleaseBLK/WHT (-)IN DRIVER'S KICK PANEL
OEM HornBLACK (-)AT STEERING COLUMN
HeadlightsYELLOW (+)AT HEADLIGHT SWITCH
OEM Alarm Arm
OEM Alarm Disarm

Negative Pulse Trunk Release

Remote Start
Tach SignalVIO/WHT OR WHITETOP OF ENGINE ON COIL
Ignition #2GREENIGNITION SWITCH HARNESS
Ignition #3
AccessoryORANGEIGNITION SWITCH HARNESS
Neutral SafetyORG/BLK (-)BEHIND DRIVER'S DASH LEFT OF COLUMN
Brake LightL BLUE (+)AT SWITCH ABOVE BRAKE PEDAL
Reverse LightLT GREEN OR GRAYIN DRIVER'S KICK PANEL
Rear Window Defrost

G.M. Passlok II Diagram. Pass Lock Wires YELLOW And BLACK/ WHITE (Has Been Reported As BLACK Instead)

MO
ray0266 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 24, 2004 at 8:38 PM / IP Logged  

MO, do you just use a flat-head screw driver to pop the panel? Been about 12 years to go back to work on cars. Things have changed since.

Thanks.

gus1 
Gold - Posts: 1,013
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 24, 2004 at 8:39 PM / IP Logged  
I'll second the remove instrument cluster idea. I dunno about you, but there is no way I can get my hands into the radio opening that easily (maybe if you have wee tiny girl hands...) I've done this for a few years now, and find that it adds no extra time to the install. Usually there are 2 phillips on the bezel, remove upper column cover, then 2 7mm that are revealed at the bottom of bezel. Remove bezel. 2 more on the upper corners of cluster, tilt bottom of cluster out, then left side first out the opening, connector for cluster on right end. Pull radio trim, 2 10mm, then ign cylnder comes straight back and over towards centre of dash opening where cluster used to be. There's almost enough wire that it can come almost a foot over. You can also get parking lights at the switch in column nice and easily too.
Covers Malibu, Grand AM, Alero, Intrigues, and any others that the bottom dash panel is non removable. Makes life so much easier!
Gus
Wherever I go, that is where I end up......
mo12v 
Posted: October 24, 2004 at 8:46 PM / IP Logged  
<<<there is no way I can get my hands into the radio opening that easily (maybe if you have wee tiny girl hands...) I've done this for a few years now, and find that it adds no extra time to the install.>>>
There is no shame in this stuff
But I am 6' 3" 245lbs and I guess I better look at my hands, after 30 years of Installs they may have shrunk
MO
NowYaKnow 
Gold - Posts: 1,217
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 24, 2004 at 10:32 PM / IP Logged  
The easiest way is to not go near the radio for most wires. Most of the wires you need for an alarm/RS are in the drivers kick panel/underdash in a single harness. There is a harness high up running into the firewall. If there are two harnesses, they are in the harness that is higher up. Regardless, neither are hard to access.
In that harness you can pick up the following:
Constant: Red (+)
Ignition: Pink (+)
Accessory: Orange (+)
Accessory 2: Brown (+) (Not needed for RS!)
Starter: Yellow (+)
Park Lights: Brown (+)
Horn: Black (-)
Brake: Light Blue (+)
As mentioned ALL the wires above are in a single harness in the drivers underdash area.
The ONLY wire you need to run to the radio is the ignition 2 wire (green @ ignition harness). If you use a passlock 2 bypass such as a PLDATA, it simply connects to the underdash diagnostic plug. Otherwise you would need to run wires up to the ignition harness for the passlock wires.
In doing so just remove the radio (feel free to unplug it, get it out of your way) and reach down and pull the ignition wires up a bit. There is enough slack on them to work easily once you cut all the tape away. I would never consider removing the instrument cluster.. And for the record my hands are not small or don't resemble "wee tiny girl hands" in any way. (Ok, maybe just the pretty pink nail polish How to get to those wires. 2003 grand am -- posted image. JUST KIDDING..LOL
Moving on.. Security wise you would think making connections behind the radio would be better, but as you can see everyone seems to recommend making them their anyway, not really fooling anyone on that particular car. If it makes you sleep better at night, make 'em behind the radio. Good luck,
Mike
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic