the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

relay wiring for remote turn-on of amps?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
crazymodgsr 
Copper - Posts: 54
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 24, 2004 at 11:39 PM / IP Logged  
OK. I wired up a relay (first time ever done) for the remote turn-on of my head unit to turn on 4 amplifiers. Anyway, I used a multimeter (when the cd player is on) and put the black probe to the chassis of the car, and the red probe on the barrier strip that I have distributing power to the 4 amps. The multimeter showed a reading of 0. Not sure if I have the relay wired up right, so could someone please refresh my memory as to what wires need to be connected to what terminals/posts of the relay?
Thanks much
D'Ecosse 
Copper - Posts: 49
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 24, 2004 at 11:57 PM / IP Logged  

Can you clarify what you are trying to do?

Most amps have a power terminal strip that has Power, Remote & Ground - the Power is always "HOT" and the Ground is always connected directly to chassis; then the remote input is fed from the remote "out" from the head & the power switching takes place inside the amp. No Relay shoudl be necessary.

However if you have amps that do not have an internal remote power switch then you will need to switch the current through a relay. See the information available directly on this site -

https://www.the12volt.com/relays/relays.asp

Specific application - https://www.the12volt.com/relays/page5.asp (connecting additional devices)

What power are your amps? i.e. How much current will they draw? You may need multiple relays with a sperate one for each amp - just wire them all up like the diagram above, connecting the common remote turn-on O/P from the head in parallel to teh 4 seperate relay coils (pin 86); then run the O/P from each pin 30 to the amp Power in.

Make sure you are using cable, relays & fuses that are all rated to meet your current demands. RRmember that if you common the power inputs to the pins 87, it will need to be sized to supply ALL the current for all the amps.

crazymodgsr 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 25, 2004 at 12:07 AM / IP Logged  
i know that. i have 4 amplifiers, which cannot be directly connected to the remote turn on wire of the head unit because it would draw too much current. therefore, a relay is necessary that is connected to the remote-turn on wire on the head unit and another part of the relay is connected to all the remote turn on wires of the 4 amplifiers. the other two posts/terminals on the relay are for 12v and ground. i just forget which wires go to which posts on the relay.
D'Ecosse 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 25, 2004 at 12:27 AM / IP Logged  

relay wiring for remote turn-on of amps? -- posted image.

Remote I/P (from head) to coil, 86; 85 of coil to ground; 87 (N/O) to +12V; 30 (common) to the O/P bus for your 4 remote enables.

crazymodgsr 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 25, 2004 at 12:31 AM / IP Logged  
i don't see a picture. you have a link? thanks
D'Ecosse 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 25, 2004 at 12:36 AM / IP Logged  

Sorry - I have no idea why my pics aren't showing up - I'm new here and things are a little different  from other forums! (e.g no edit until 50 posts!) The image shows up in the field when I upload it but not in preview or the final post. I followed the "sticky" instruction (or think I did!) but noseeums!

Anyway, just follow the text instruction for the pin wiring on the relay.

p.s. also sorry for initial confusion - I thought you were tryimng to do soemthing different when I read "the barrier strip that I have distributing power to the 4 amps".

crazymodgsr 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 25, 2004 at 8:15 AM / IP Logged  
hmm. a little strange. someone on another forum replied to the same topic, but said:
85 - remote wire from head unit
86 - ground
30 - 12 volt
87 - to amplifier remote turn-ons
D'Ecosse 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 25, 2004 at 9:38 AM / IP Logged  

crazymodgsr wrote:
hmm. a little strange. someone on another forum replied to the same topic, but said:
86 - ground
30 - 12 volt

Either is the same result:

86 - remote wire from head unit

85 - ground 
87 - 12 volt 
30 - to amplifier remote turn-ons

OR

86 - ground
30 - 12 volt

- as long as the "remote in" & ground are across the coil (85 & 86) and the 12v & O/P are across the N/O contacts (30 & 87) it doesn't matter which way round they are connected.

D'Ecosse 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 25, 2004 at 3:00 PM / IP Logged  

relay wiring for remote turn-on of amps? -- posted image.

Here you go

crazymodgsr 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 25, 2004 at 11:06 PM / IP Logged  
cool, thanks a lot

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic