icon

Boxes for components ?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
vdubmk4 
Copper - Posts: 175
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 25, 2004 at 7:00 PM / IP Logged  
I plan on adding another pair of components to my car on the rear deck. I was wondering if it would be more benificial to make sealed enclousures for them or just mount them free air style ?
Fortune: You will continue to take chances, and be glad you did.
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 25, 2004 at 7:03 PM / IP Logged  

Most components are not made for small sealed enclosures.  I personally wouldn't spend money on components for rear fill.  If you want some fill back there some cheap coax speakers should be fine.

New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
boxmaker85 
Silver - Posts: 433
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 25, 2004 at 7:32 PM / IP Logged  

kfr01's got a point.  Back end's not the place for comonents.  You want to stage you're music so bring all the highs to the front.  Go with a 5.25 for the back or less.  You could put them in a larger sealed area especially of they're open to the trunk and you've got a "sealed trunk with a sub.  The sub's pressure can interfere with the speakers playing ability. 

vdubmk4 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 25, 2004 at 7:54 PM / IP Logged  
Sorry, i forgot to state that I would be putting the new components in the front and moving the stock components to the rear deck. Boxmaker85 you made a good point about the subwoofer interference, thanks.
Sweekster 
Silver - Posts: 481
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 25, 2004 at 8:03 PM / IP Logged  
I would consider going with a coaxial (if you want highs in the back). Unless your doing a surround sound type of set up...going with another full component set in back is kind of over kill.
Duane...
If you think you're confused, imagine how you feel.   Boxes for components ? -- posted image.
Rushman 
Silver - Posts: 380
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 25, 2004 at 8:08 PM / IP Logged  
I remember in the 80s and 90s cars came with that cardboard and foam baffle that came stock under the rear deck speakers to help insulate them from the trunk I guess. Anyway , Im thinking somthing like that should be sufficient enough to prevent interference from the subs. Just a suggestion.
99 F-one fitty
Pioneer Premier H/U
Alpine EQ
Kicker 1200 amp
4 Kicker comp 10s
6 kicker SS65.2 components
vdubmk4 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 25, 2004 at 8:09 PM / IP Logged  

Well I think by adding speakers (coax or components) to the rear deck facing veritically I will benefit pretty good since all off my other speakers (components) are at close to floor level. The sound reflection off of the rear glass should give me the on-ear plain that I am hoping to get, plus if I have extra speakers that are pretty decent I might as well put them somewhere right. 

jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: October 25, 2004 at 8:16 PM / IP Logged  
I am running components all the way around one of our vehicles, but that is because it is an sq car that can also achive 144 db, we have sealed the whole deck in the rear off and placed the components through the rear window deck and molded them in using a little fiberglass... But they are deffintally right coax's are normally more then enough for rear fill,      I will never run 6x9's again since I went to rears that were round
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
vdubmk4 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 25, 2004 at 8:20 PM / IP Logged  

Nice, yeah I would kinda like to get my car heading in the SQ comp. car area.

Jeff, how many speakers do you run in the SQ car ?

kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 25, 2004 at 8:29 PM / IP Logged  

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Fn08JkHasQ1/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?i=237XT62&id=morephotos&a=&s=0&cc=01&g=762#morephotos

Foam baffles like this are a cheap way to help kill some of the subwoofer interferrence. 

New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic