the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

What to do

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 28, 2004 at 8:44 PM / IP Logged  
Yes to the first part, yes to the second part if the sub is a dvc 4 ohm and wired in parallel as my first diagram showed.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
Poormanq45 
Silver - Posts: 597
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 28, 2004 at 9:52 PM / IP Logged  
jeffchilcott
It is better to overpower a sub then underpower it, as long as your signal is clean,    with gain properly adjusted the alpine would have a nice clean signal that 425 watts rms is nothing to worry about...
I am gonna have to say no!
Do not "overpower" a sub or any speaker for that matter. The RMS rating that a manufacturer puts on there speakers is the maximum amount of electrical power that they can handle over a period of time, usually a minimum of 5 minutes. Feeding a speaker alot more than the RMS rating will eventually lead to the voicecoil melting. You can get away with slightly "overpowering" a speaker, I mean by less than 20w RMS over.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 28, 2004 at 9:58 PM / IP Logged  
Aside.......Poorman comes into it ready for battle....
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
jkyliej 
Copper - Posts: 101
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 28, 2004 at 10:38 PM / IP Logged  
So I have decided to go with the single 10" 2ohm dvc wired as option #2.  This will put my amp at 225Watts and safe for that single sub.  And if I decide to add another I will buy the same sub and wire them both at a 2ohm draw that will put my amp at 425watts split into 212 to each sub.  Right?
1 sub / Dual Voice Coil - 2 ohms x 2
Option #1
What to do - Page 2 -- posted image.
Option #2
What to do - Page 2 -- posted image.
jkj
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 29, 2004 at 1:03 AM / IP Logged  

Correct

Aside - WOW MAN!

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
boxmaker85 
Silver - Posts: 433
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 29, 2004 at 6:45 AM / IP Logged  

You've got it.  Sounds like it'll be a good setup.  I've got 150 watts running to my Kappa 10" right now.  I had 460 pushing it earlier this year.  Sounded fine but I was a little uncomfortable pushing that much over rms (it's 275 rms).  I would have been fine with like 375 or even 400 but that extra 60 watts was making me go hm.....  I had the sub playing like that for about 2 months then I decided to get another 10" (still in the process)  and run each 150 until I get a new amp.  150 watts with bass boost turned on is making one 10" really thump right now. 

Poorman:  I've seen (and have gone back and checked it out read volt meter and everything) a sub run an endurance test.  For 24 hours a Kappa Perfect ran 500 watts rms.  It played just a normal bass excursion test.  At the end of the 24 hours, they played a normal song with normal bass music and it was perfectly fine.  Seen this done to other speakers too.  Yeah you can run over rms.  The manufacturer gives you a cushion of rating so that the sub is still with-in it's limits.  Because people like us know the sub can handle it.

jkyliej 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 29, 2004 at 11:22 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks for that.  I am now convinced on what I need to buy.  As soon as the enclosure arrives I will see if I can fit the tall type R in the hole.

An a different note.  I need to feed a higher grade speaker wire into the door of this 1998 chev pick-up for the Kappa's that I am putting in.  Any tricks to feed that wire through the factory conduit boot in between the cab and the door?

jkj
boxmaker85 
Silver - Posts: 433
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 29, 2004 at 8:31 PM / IP Logged  

A hanger worked good for me when getting my power wire through the firewall boot.

jkyliej 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 08, 2004 at 1:53 PM / IP Logged  

Just as a gesture of my appreciation to the people that contribute to this site I would like to say thanks.  I finished this very small system this weekend and it sounds better than I had hoped for.  With an Alpine CDA9835 head signaling a MRD-501(with amp link) and a MRV F340 amps which power an Apline 10" type R and Infinity seperates and rear plates respectively.  I had to cut a hole in the Q-form enclosure so the magnet would clear the back of the box.  I bought some 1/2" plexi-glass and shaped a nice looking plate to re-seal it which also means you can look right down into the back of the sub as it fires at the floor which is cool I suppose.  Managed to hide every last bit of the installation except the tweeters and those are still not easy to find when looking in from the outside.  I took pictures of the whole process as I went along and those turned out well too.

Well my purpose was to say thanks for all of the advise.  I am convinced it made the difference between what I have and what could have been a big dissapointment.

jkj
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 08, 2004 at 3:42 PM / IP Logged  
jkyliej wrote:
I am convinced it made the difference between what I have and what could have been a big dissapointment.

Some of the forum's best helped you out here, and besides them, we all like to see good results through the use of this forum.  Please show appreciation for your time, money and frustration saved by donating a small amount to help keep this forum healthy.  Cheers!

https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/donations.asp

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic