icon

Super Duty stereo system?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Sparky04SD 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: October 28, 2004 at 9:02 AM / IP Logged  
I have the following components and want to build a system for my 04 Super Duty Super Cab truck.
Blaupunkt Jackson CM148 4 x 35 watt max power
Blaupunkt CDC AO8 10 disc changer
Alpine MRP-F306 amplifier
Alpine MRP-F356 amplifier
2 Alpine 10” SWS-1040 sub woofer speakers
4 Alpine 5x7 SPS 570A speakers
Tentative plans are for:
2 SPS-570A front speakers on the F306 amp @ 80 watts per speaker (bridged connections?)
2 SPS-570A rear speakers on the F356 amp @ 80 watts per speaker (bridged connections?)
1 (or 2 maybe?) SWS-1040 sub woofer on MRP-F356 amp @ 100watts
I elected the “rear seat delete” option and am planning on building a storage cabinet/box in the rear for stereo components, tools, on board air compressor and spare parts while traveling. I also elected to purchase my truck with the “radio delete” option, as I wanted to mount the Blaupunkt head unit in the Tuffy Security Console I have installed between the Flexsteel bucket seats. I have already installed the OEM radio antenna and coax to the console. Speakers were planned for the factory door locations in front and possibly the rear also, although I am considering alternate locations.
Suggestions? Comments?
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 28, 2004 at 9:31 AM / IP Logged  
sounds like you already know what you want to do... and it seems you've picked pretty good components to do it with... ( i personally would swap the 5x7's for a couple prs of nice components spkrs ) .....have fun......
Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 28, 2004 at 12:41 PM / IP Logged  

Guess who one this great forum drives a crewcab Superduty......

Is the Jackson a cd transport or a tape transport? Either way, one must realize that mounting a unit in the console does one very important thing, it takes your eyes off of the road, thus I never recommend doing this. While it may be great for security reasons, my life and the lives of other drivers on the road is more important. Please put it back in the dash where it belongs.

If the Jackson is a cd transport then it should not be mounted vertically as the suspension system was not designed around a vertical mount, it was designed around a horizontal mount.

For the rear speakers, 5x7" is fine, for the front I would look at a pair of 5x7" coax for now if that is what you have and then down the road a pair of oversize 6.5" component speakers. Should you choose the right ones, the tweeter can mount concentrically (dead center like a coax) or the tweeter also fits on the sail panel (at the top of each door). With some time, bondo and texture paint, it can be made to look like it was supposed to be there. (Have pic's if you need them).

Before I set out and bought speakers, I would listen to them. Those are some large windows on this truck and I assume it is a diesel. It also has some good road noise (especially if you lift it and put larger tires under it Super Duty stereo system? -- posted image.). Based on this fact I chose MB Quart speakers for my truck, this way the top end that dissappears in most speakers when faced with this situation is still present. But we all hear different, you need to listen to the speakers first and purchase what your ears prefer.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 28, 2004 at 4:04 PM / IP Logged  
I would recommend against bridging an amplifier to your mids and highs.  When you bridge you trade an increase in power for distortion.  Buy an amp that runs at 4-ohms stereo with the power you want instead of bridging.  It will be cleaner. 
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
Sparky04SD 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 28, 2004 at 5:55 PM / IP Logged  
forbidden wrote:

Is the Jackson a cd transport or a tape transport? Either way, one must realize that mounting a unit in the console does one very important thing, it takes your eyes off of the road, thus I never recommend doing this. While it may be great for security reasons, my life and the lives of other drivers on the road is more important. Please put it back in the dash where it belongs.

Tweeter also fits on the sail panel (at the top of each door). With some time, bondo and texture paint, it can be made to look like it was supposed to be there. (Have pic's if you need them).

The Jackson is a tape transport as I have the CD changer going inside the console where it's protected. While I agree with you in principal about the radio taking my eyes off the road, putting it back into the dash is not an option anymore as that location is reserved for gauges and switches for various lights, compressors and aux. heaters. As I have used the Tuffy Consoles in my last 3 trucks because of the security they offer against theft of radios, CB's, tape and CD players, I'm very comfortable with the safety issues. Appreciate your concern though, you make a valid point.
Would like to see your pics, I'm interested in new ideas and still trying to "build" the perfect truck for traveling to those "far off places".
Sparky04SD 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 28, 2004 at 6:07 PM / IP Logged  
kfr01 wrote:
I would recommend against bridging an amplifier to your mids and highs.  When you bridge you trade an increase in power for distortion.  Buy an amp that runs at 4-ohms stereo with the power you want instead of bridging.  It will be cleaner. 
As an Industrial Control Electrician I understand the electrical ramifications but not really clear on what this "bridging" is all about. I got the idea to bridge the amps from the Alpine schematics that came with the amps. My present speakers are all 4 ohm versions and I was only considering "bridging" to increase the wattage to the speaker. My knowledge of stereos is "wanting" and is why I joined this forum. I've appreciated all the replies as this really helps me.
The Alpine schematic says that per channel into 4 ohms = 30W, into 2 ohms = 40W, and bridged into 4 ohms = 80W.
nc5er 
Member - Posts: 23
Member spacespace
Posted: October 28, 2004 at 7:08 PM / IP Logged  

My 2 cents, typicly you would bridge an amp only for the sub. Bridging it at 4 ohms would be the sum of left + right channels = mono. Usually an amp will push twice the power bridged into 2 ohms, left + right stereo, again ok for a sub. For your mid and high speakers though, you would always want 4 ohms stereo. Thats where an amp is clean and crispy at.

30W rms seems a little shy on power handling ability. As well, oval speakers are not where it's at if you desire any true sound quality.

Hope this clears up bridging ?'s anyway...

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 29, 2004 at 1:32 AM / IP Logged  
I'll get some pic's to you when I have some free time.... not any time soon by the looks of things. It's 11:300 PM right now and I'm taking a break from an alarm system install on a Dodge  / Mercedes creation.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
dudek38 
Copper - Posts: 250
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 29, 2004 at 8:29 AM / IP Logged  
hey rob, how bout that pic of your tweeter install on door?
owner of
Motion Marine & Car Audio
the florida keys

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic