icon

jbl 1200.1

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
heavilymedicate 
Silver - Posts: 328
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2004 at 11:05 AM / IP Logged  

Listen to the words of brother Chevyman!  He speaks the holy word of sound audio advice!  Praise the 12volt gods!

*Congregation:  "Amen!"*

Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2004 at 2:52 PM / IP Logged  
Just to clarify that amp does indeed have two sets of speaker output terminals and the amp is bridged internally so you would just hook 1 4 ohm woofer up to each side. And steven, you mean the Brahma's arent completly bullet proof, I am disapointed :)
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
audiobass10 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2004 at 3:15 PM / IP Logged  

I agree that this amp is quite underrated...be careful!!..and yes it is a mono amp w/ only one channel

Dave
Pioneer Premier DEH-P660
15" Kicker CVR
Profile AP1000M
It's Loud
ampman 
Member - Posts: 34
Member spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2004 at 7:44 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks. Would it be a better idea to get an amp with less wattage since the subs only hold 450 watts, 900 total and the amp puts out 1200 watts. You said with the gain turned all the way down it would be at full power, if my preamp output is 4 volts, right? Wouldn't full power be too much for these subs with this amp? I know i've heard that Eclipses are underrated but if the amp is also, would that work?
audiobass10 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2004 at 9:12 PM / IP Logged  

Personally, i think you could go with a JBL 600.1 and be happy, That should easily get your subs to full excursion and like I and others have said..its a powerful amp..very underrated..If I were you i'd go with the 600.1 off www.soundomain.com i believe it's 150ish plus shipping.

Dave
Pioneer Premier DEH-P660
15" Kicker CVR
Profile AP1000M
It's Loud
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2004 at 10:10 PM / IP Logged  

Go for the 1200.1  , , and just DONT CRANK it, , you don't have to use all the power the amp is capable of.  Set the gain properly, set the bass settings properly on your deck, and learn to listen for distortion, or sub bottoming out if too much power were applied.

You wont have a problem if you can learn to pay attention to the sound of the bass.

2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
chevyman26 
Copper - Posts: 227
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2004 at 10:39 PM / IP Logged  

ampman wrote:
You said with the gain turned all the way down it would be at full power, if my preamp output is 4 volts, right?

True, but I'm guessing that a Sanyo deck, even if it is advertised as 4 volt pre-out, it probably is not ever actually at 4 volts untill the signal is clipped all to hell, and overpowering is the least of your worries at that point. As Alpine said - just set it up correctly and learn the system's limits and you should be ok. But, if you want to be safe, the 600.1 should satisfy your needs, as previously stated.  But if it were me, I'd go with the 1200 for the bragging rights that go along with it, lol.

You'd better get me out of this lord... or else you'll have me to deal with. -- Hunter S. Thompson "F.A.L.I.L.V."
ampman 
Member - Posts: 34
Member spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2004 at 11:28 PM / IP Logged  
:) I am thinking about getting a better deck, so I would have 4 volts. But if I did get a deck with a 4 volt preamp output, would it be safe to run the 1200.1 to my twelves. If I have to have the gain turned all the way down, and that gives me the full 1200 watts, then would I be able to turn up my cd player? Wouldn't that be to much power?
heavilymedicate 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2004 at 11:36 PM / IP Logged  
If you have a seperate subwoofer control for the deck preamp signal, turn it down, past 0  into the - and work from that.
chevyman26 
Copper - Posts: 227
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2004 at 1:16 AM / IP Logged  

ampman wrote:
If I have to have the gain turned all the way down, and that gives me the full 1200 watts, then would I be able to turn up my cd player? Wouldn't that be to much power?

Just kind of forget about the saying "turn the gain all the way down" and set it up properly according to the JL tutorial. This is done with the cd player turned up, so that will be taken into account. If you set it up properly and can see your voltage on a DMM before you ever hook up the subs, there should be no problems. If you want the amp to only put out 900 watts at 2 ohms, set the gain to 42.43 VAC instead of 48.99 VAC   [(900*2)^.5=42.43 ].

Also, when you do get a new headunit, don't forget to reset the gain BEFORE you test it out. If you jump from say 0.7V pre out to 3.2V without resetting the gain...well let's just say that it would be a good way to see how much abuse (clipping) an Eclipse can really take.

You'd better get me out of this lord... or else you'll have me to deal with. -- Hunter S. Thompson "F.A.L.I.L.V."
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic