icon

jbl 1200.1

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ampman 
Member - Posts: 34
Member spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2004 at 1:54 AM / IP Logged  

This is what Steven Kephart said, "Keep in mind that if your head unit has 4 volt outputs, the gain should be turned all the way down.  It will produce full power at that point, and you will be clipping the signal if you have it turned up any.  Also note that the amp has tested over 1400 watts in the magazines, so they are under rated.  I think that amp is responsible for the death of more Brahma's than any other amp just because the customers didn't understand how to set it up right."

If this is true, I don't want to turn up the gain at all, bacause I don't want to damage my speakers. But even with the gain turned all the way down it seems that 1200 watts would still be to much power.

Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2004 at 11:30 AM / IP Logged  

there no such thing as too much power as long as you know how to control it.   When professionals test subwoofers, , they usually end up testing a 250 wrms sub hooked up to a 5000wrms amp.   They can achieve much cleaner bass with a more powerful amp and by only turning it up a little bit to the subs max.   That way there sending a clean signal.

If you fed each sub 300 wrms , you probably wont be able to get the most out of those subs, , and chances are, you will want more out of them, so your will turn it up so loud that the amp will start clipping << not good.     Plus, , for only $50 more you get a 1200.1, , ,i really can't see how your possibly argueing this.

JUST BUY IT! Get it set up properly, if that means paying a shop, so be it.

2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
chevyman26 
Copper - Posts: 227
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2004 at 12:03 PM / IP Logged  
ampman wrote:

I think that amp is responsible for the death of more Brahma's than any other amp just because the customers didn't understand how to set it up right."

If this is true, I don't want to turn up the gain at all, bacause I don't want to damage my speakers. But even with the gain turned all the way down it seems that 1200 watts would still be to much power.

Like he said - "because the customer didn't understand how to set it up right" - if you are setting it up with a DMM or any digital voltmeter, you will know exactly how much power the amp is putting out before the speakers are ever even hooked up.  I think that maybe Steven left his post a little vague. I'm not saying he's wrong, (I would never try to challenge something he says - he's got more knowledge in his little finger...)just that a little more info could have been included.

Also, this (and any) amp is capable of producing full power at any gain setting - it just depends on the input signal voltage.  The gain is not adjusted to vary the output power level, it is used to match the incoming voltage to prevent clipping, the real speaker killer.

You'd better get me out of this lord... or else you'll have me to deal with. -- Hunter S. Thompson "F.A.L.I.L.V."
heavilymedicate 
Silver - Posts: 328
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2004 at 12:04 PM / IP Logged  
Im with Alpine guy, for every reason he mentioned.  And you'll have a amp that can grow with your system.  Im ordering mine today.
ampman 
Member - Posts: 34
Member spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2004 at 9:03 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks.
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 03, 2004 at 11:38 PM / IP Logged  
ampman wrote:

This is what Steven Kephart said, "Keep in mind that if your head unit has 4 volt outputs, the gain should be turned all the way down.  It will produce full power at that point, and you will be clipping the signal if you have it turned up any.  Also note that the amp has tested over 1400 watts in the magazines, so they are under rated.  I think that amp is responsible for the death of more Brahma's than any other amp just because the customers didn't understand how to set it up right."

I was just using that as an example.  The best thing to do is set the gains properly.  What you want is for the head unit and amplifier to clip at the same time.  If one clips the signal early, then you won't maximize the power available.

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 05, 2004 at 1:30 AM / IP Logged  

Ravendarat wrote:
And steven, you mean the Brahma's arent completly bullet proof, I am disapointed :)

Aha!  I found the file.  Even though the cone's do have Kevlar in them, no they aren't bullet proof.  Here's one of our dealers proving this fact: http://www.adireaudio.com/Files/BrahmasArentBulletproof.WMV  jbl 1200.1 - Page 3 -- posted image.

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

Page of 3

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic