the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Coaxial frequency

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2004 at 3:36 PM / IP Logged  
:)  No we're not contradicting each other, I think we're talking apples and oranges.  You seem to be talking about loudness (db) and state you can tell the difference between 100db and 105db.  I'll agree with that statement.  I'm talking about sound spectrum and don't think the average person can tell the difference between 100Hz and 105Hz (althouigh a trained musician could.  They wound hear 100Hz as a slightly sharp G 2 octaves below middle C and 105Hz as approximately G sharp.)
Support the12volt.com
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 02, 2004 at 7:56 PM / IP Logged  
DYohn is being polite.........truth is my brain got bamboozled.  Too many Hz's and db's!  What I meant to say is that you would hear the difference in decibels between the tone recorded at 100 Hz and the tone at 105 Hz......when the crossover is set properly at 100 Hz.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
Thuan 
Copper - Posts: 88
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2004 at 4:51 AM / IP Logged  

Bear with my please.....I would hear the difference between those 2 frequencies through the coaxials right....but as for the sub I'm having crazy problems hearing any distortion. I'm going to run my speakers like you guys suggested at 250hz...so now when I make my test cd I want to listen for the difference between 250hz and 255hz...is it going to hurt my ears and should the HU volume be at it's max or just at a comfortable level?  My amp is a soundstream vga800.5. Thanks.

Thuan
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 03, 2004 at 7:35 AM / IP Logged  

Yes it will hurt, so don't do it, like DYohn said, without ear protection  Volume low....you are trying to pick a relative frequency so volume is not needed.  Crossover setting isn't something that has to be done the first day, doesn't have to be perfect, and can be tweaked from time to time.  In fact, I like to get the crossover setting with very faint volume, so that the frequencies fade out more noticeably at the cutoff point.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
Thuan 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2004 at 2:29 PM / IP Logged  

My amp is rated at 50x4 and 400x1....I have a JL12w6v2 hooked up to the 400x1 channel...but it doesn't even seem like it's anywhere close to that...I can't even tell there's a subwoofer in my trunk while I'm driving. My gain is currently at about 60% of it's max....was I given the wrong amp ratings? You guys have been real helpful...Thanks!

Thuan
DYohn 
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2004 at 2:55 PM / IP Logged  
What's the amp?
Support the12volt.com
Thuan 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2004 at 5:52 PM / IP Logged  
Soundstream VGA800.5
Thuan
DYohn 
Posted: November 03, 2004 at 6:28 PM / IP Logged  
That's not a bad amp.  Rated at 50 Watts x 4 + 200 Watts x 1 into 4 ohms.  Assuming you have your 12W6 wired in parallel, it will place a 2-ohm load on the amp and draw up to 400 watts.  It should sound pretty good with 400 watts.  Make sure you do not have the voice coils in series though (if you like it loud.)  Series wiring will place an 8-ohm load on the amp, and although it will operate much cleaner and cooler with 8-ohms, it will produce only about 100 watts.  Your JL woofer likes more than 100 watts.  :)   OH, and make sure you don't have a HPF activated on you sub channel!
Support the12volt.com
Thuan 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 04, 2004 at 1:52 AM / IP Logged  
I forgot how I had the VC for the sub hooked up...I think it was VC1+ to VC2+ and VC1- to VC2-...that's parallel right? I set my sub channel to LPF and for my coaxials HPF. If one of the VC jumpers came loose would I get this low power problem? Is it a good idea to solder the VC jumper wires?  
Thuan
DYohn 
Posted: November 04, 2004 at 10:49 AM / IP Logged  
+ to + and - to - is parallel.  Yes, if a jumper came off it will affect the power of the system (back to 4 ohms on only one voice coil.)  Yes, soldering is a good idea.  If you are not getting enough bass in your car with this setup, maybe you have the LPF set too low.  Try cranking it up to around 120Hz.  Also, how is the sub positioned in your car?  Have you tried moving it around/facing it towards the rear/changing the phase on the amp?  What kind of enclosure is it?
Support the12volt.com
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic