icon

Coaxial frequency

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Thuan 
Copper - Posts: 88
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 04, 2004 at 12:39 PM / IP Logged  
I have it in a sealed enclosure.....1.38cu ft with 1 pound of polyfil. I have the subwoofer facing the rear of the vehicle....it's in a lexus ls400. Changing the phase on the amp? On my HU there's 2 subwoofer options....subwoofer 0 degrees and reverse 180 degrees....what exactly does it do?
Thuan
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 04, 2004 at 12:52 PM / IP Logged  
Sounds like your enclosure is good.  Lexus cars can be a problem in that they are pretty well sound-proofed and designed so that noises from the trunk will not get into the passenger compartment..  You will get about a 3db or greater reduction in volume just from the design of the car and there's not much you can do about it. The phase on the HU will switch the electrical phase (+ and -) of the signal to the sub amp.  Try changing it and see if there is any improvement.  Use the position that sounds best (that's what it is for!)
Support the12volt.com
Thuan 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2004 at 12:56 PM / IP Logged  
Lexus' are real quiet but there is actually an 8" hole in the rear deck that is right above the JL sub I have in the trunk....this was were the stock subwoofer used to be located...I removed it. I pulled the JL out last night and soldered the VC's together just to make sure the connection was good....but I'm still getting no rumble. I tried switching the phase on the HU but it doesn't do anything for me. Since I lose about 3db...should I just turn up the bass boost on the amp +3db to make up the difference? How much bass should I expect to get/feel from my JL? I was expecting clean bass and enough bass where I would be able to feel the vibrations as I drive...am I expecting too much? I can't even feel anything unless I crank the volume up to max. This sucks.
Thuan
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2004 at 9:29 PM / IP Logged  

Make sure everything is in phase (put your decks setting at 0 for phase and make sure all that the plus and minus going to the amp are on the plus and minus of the amp). Also try moving your sub around in your trunk and see if it sounds any different. Does it play well when you are just listening to it with the trunk open outside of your car? One last thing, dont use your bass boost!

Thuan 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 06, 2004 at 12:00 AM / IP Logged  
It sounds okay when I have my trunk open but when I drive I don't really feel/hear much. +/ - for the RCA's? Does that matter because I switched the RCA's over and it sounds the same. Okay, I turned the boost off.
Thuan
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 06, 2004 at 10:33 AM / IP Logged  

Thuan wrote:
I was expecting clean bass and enough bass where I would be able to feel the vibrations as I drive...am I expecting too much?

Could be.  If you really think something is wrong, I recomend going to a good car stereo shop and ask one of the pros to listen to your system.  They may offer to check the setup for you for a few bucks and it sounds like it might be worth it to you just so you can know for certain if it's just expectations not being met.

Support the12volt.com
Thuan 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 06, 2004 at 4:17 PM / IP Logged  
K., Thanks....I appreciate all the help I have recieved.
Thuan
Page of 3

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic