icon

charge system

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
civicnut 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2004 at 2:46 PM / IP Logged  

im currently in the middle of building an install on a Honda Civic Coupe, its a full Ground Zero install.  As these amps will be running at a 1 ohm load and pull a lot of current and honda's charge system isnt very good.   I dont want to put an extra battery in, has anyone any ideas on an uprated charging system? Im quite good at fabrication so i am willing to put an alternator of another car on if so what alternator of what car THANKS!

P.S im from the uk so uk models only please!!!!!!! 

Rushman 
Silver - Posts: 380
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2004 at 3:11 PM / IP Logged  
There has been alot of discussion here lately about batteries and alternators. The veterans mostly agree to upgrade the alternators to higher amp units. Since you dont want another battery , my suggestion is to upgrade the alt. and maybe depending on your systems demands , a capacitor could be used. http://www.4alterstart.com/door/. Try looking here for an anternator.
99 F-one fitty
Pioneer Premier H/U
Alpine EQ
Kicker 1200 amp
4 Kicker comp 10s
6 kicker SS65.2 components
supradude 
Silver - Posts: 915
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2004 at 7:56 PM / IP Logged  
I thought Ground Zero wasn't around anymore. I had asked about their subs a while back. I agree with Rushman. I got my high output alternator from 4alterstart.com and it works fine. By the way, where can you buy Ground Zero stuff now? 
'85 Toy
civicnut 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2004 at 1:49 PM / IP Logged  

Hi, thanks for your replies.  As for what Im putting in the car here's the list:-

JVC 701 Head unit

2 x GZRC 16 Comp front 120 rms / 1 x  GZRC 165F Comp rear 110 rms / 1 x GZRF 52 Coax rear 60 rms / 2 x GZHW 30 Sub boot 800 w / 1 x GZRA 4200 4ch 600 max / 1 x GZHA 4150 4ch 900 max / 1 x GZHA 2350 2ch 800 rms at 1 ohm / 1 x GZCA 1000 cap 1 farad / 3 x TV screens / 1 x PS2 / 0 Gauge to 4 Gauge cable.

As for where you can buy GZ!  its also very rare in the uk to.  I had a car audio shop for a while i got to meet the uk distributor i could get  you some but i would have to look into shipping it.  Or if you go to www.ground-zero-audio.com there are links to buy but there all in german .

I recently built a GZ corsa similar gear to mine which reaches 156db i consider this brand to be one of the best on the market 

Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2004 at 2:00 PM / IP Logged  
I would simply find the largest altenator you can, within reason and use that, remember that that motor still has to be able to turn over so 300 amps may be a bit excessive :). Also when you fabricate your bracket make sure you have a fair bit of adjustment on it so you dont have a problem finding a belt. I would also recomend using a decent size cap in your situation because there are definatly going to be times when your system is going to demand a large amount of power in a short period of time.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
Rushman 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2004 at 2:06 PM / IP Logged  
Ok Raven , that brings up a question for me.........When you say the motor still has to turn over and 300 amps may be excessive , what does the number of amps have to do with the motor turning over? Just curiouse.  Thanks.......
99 F-one fitty
Pioneer Premier H/U
Alpine EQ
Kicker 1200 amp
4 Kicker comp 10s
civicnut 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2004 at 2:27 PM / IP Logged  

the cap situation. I am only putting a 1 farad in because im not really going to belt the system much. im mainly going for a tight clean sound with a sealed box and lots & lots of sound profing

Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2004 at 2:43 PM / IP Logged  
It was a half serious sarcastic remark, but a larger altenator does put forth more resistance and makes it harder for the motor to turn over, at least thats what I was always told but I dont pretend to be an expert on the motor side of vehicles. If the vehicle isint in a cold enviroment I would not think it would matter much anyways
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
Rushman 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2004 at 2:50 PM / IP Logged  
ok Thanks for your quick response. After I read your reply , I got to thinking that maybe high output alternators didnt free spin as much as a stock one and maybe it put a little strain on the engine such as when you turn on the AC on the highway and you can feel the engine work harder. I havent yet had to upgrade to a different alt. yet just for a stereo system but would definately concider it next time I upgrade my system soon. Thanks again.
99 F-one fitty
Pioneer Premier H/U
Alpine EQ
Kicker 1200 amp
4 Kicker comp 10s
civicnut 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2004 at 2:59 PM / IP Logged  
I thought you couldn't have been serious about the power cap as I myself have a phobia of these things, although they do look nice!  Thanks for your advice
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic