Amp / HU dilema

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
paul167 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2004 at 12:42 PM / IP Logged  
Hi
So I'm just in the process of upgrading my car system in my Golf III and I've come to the point where I have to worry about my audio install.
Right now I have 2 sony x-plod 17cm 170W peak (30W RMS) speakers and 2 pionneer 10cm 110W peak (20W RMS). My HU is a JVC 45Wx4, although if I got it right, that CAN'T be 45W RMS from an HU right ? Would anyone know how much that would approximatively be in RMS ?
As soon as I try to crank it up a little, the sound gets crappy. So until now I wasn't sure why that was, but my theory now is that my HU is to weak and I'm experiencing clipping as I've read up in some other thread. Basically, when loud, it sounds "saturated" and kinda "crispy", its hard to explain.
Could it really be clipping ? Seems weird seeing how my speakers are really not that powerful. If it isn't, what else might it be ?
If it IS clipping I am experiencing I understand I have to get myself a decent amp and it should fix it. What kinda power would I be needing here ? Something small around 30W RMS like my speakers ?
If I do get one, do you think I would have some decent sound or are my speakers just plain to weak ? When I say decent sound, I mean nothing very loud.
Also, isn't there a way of getting a more powerful HU ? It would really simplify the wiring :)
Anyhow, if anyone has any input on that, it would be greatly appreciated !
Thanks
Paul
bullman96 
Silver - Posts: 294
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2004 at 1:02 PM / IP Logged  
all internal amps on decks usually suck pretty bad, so i would suggest getting an amp just for the doors speaks. you could probably find a 25x4 wattrms for pretty cheap that will sound good. how much are you will to spend if you go in this direction? we have a different idea of decent sound probably, so to check if it is your deck that is the problem try fading the speakers all the way to the front giving the front ones a bit more juice and then to the back giving the rears a bit more juice. also try turing down the bass and trying to go higher, if you hear any audible difference your speakers are probably capable of more. the deck probably puts out 20wx4rms at the most.
raydawg357 
Silver - Posts: 769
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2004 at 2:22 PM / IP Logged  
Make sure your speakers are all in phase.  Out of phase speakers also sound like crap.
Do it right the first time
civicnut 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2004 at 2:37 PM / IP Logged  
hi there i sugest get rid of the sony's and get external amp garenteed result . even a cheap amp
paul167 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2004 at 2:39 PM / IP Logged  
I guess I was hoping for something in the area of 100/150$.
I tried the fading thing, and it gets crappy on both my sony 30W door speakers and the small 20W on the console. I played around with the bass / treble, it seems the higher tones are fine. When i put more bass in, it starts to saturate more.
I really have very little bass, is an amplifier going to help with that at all (i.e. without a sub) ?
Also funny thing, my sister also has a Golf III which is 1 year younger though (-> 1993) and she has way more bass than I do. Her setup is pretty much the factory one, except for a new sony HU. She doesn't have an amp or sub or anything, just 10cm speakers in the console and 16cm ones in the doors.
How come her bass is that much better although she has apparently the same basic configuration than mine ? Could it be that she has "bass optimized" speakers ?
I thought the only way to improve your bass is to hook up a sub to an amp.
Thanks !
Paul
raydawg357 
Silver - Posts: 769
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2004 at 2:40 PM / IP Logged  
still sounds like your speakers are out of phase.
Do it right the first time
paul167 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2004 at 2:45 PM / IP Logged  
Okay, I'm not exactly sure what that means, "out of phase speakers" ? :)
civicnut 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2004 at 2:47 PM / IP Logged  

ray is probably right then but i still recomend replacing the sony's

paul167 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2004 at 2:48 PM / IP Logged  
What's wrong with the sony's ? Are they known to be crappy speakers ?
civicnut 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2004 at 2:48 PM / IP Logged  
your + & - are round the rong way
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic