icon

Amp Turning Off

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Daikos 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: November 04, 2004 at 4:43 PM / IP Logged  
I'd like to start off by saying that i've read other threads of this sort but none exactly describe my problem so don't think I didn't look ;)
I recently (4 weeks) installed a Legacy LA1870 amp in my car to power two 12" subs. They have been working decently but since I installed them frequently the amp would turn off for a few minutes then turn on again only to turn off again later. At first I thought they weren't receiving enough power but this didn't prove true. Second I thought wires weren't connected all the way but this doesn't seem to be the problem. One thing i noticed was that at first it seemed that the amp would kick back on when I revved the engine but that has since ceased to happen.
It worked for a good week without this problem occuring but recently it started again and now the amp powers itself down when I turn my head unit up to anything past 7. It had easily been doing 20 prior to this. I am thinking that the ground connection may not be suitable but am not sure and want to see if anyone has suggestions before I try anything else.
The only alteration I made before this problem started (two days ago) was to turn the low level on the amp down to get a deeper sound, not sure if this is what caused the problem or not.
I'm real new to car audio so any help that can me given would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 04, 2004 at 4:53 PM / IP Logged  
well how do you have your sibs wired?   how is it wired to the amp??   I dont even know if this amp is 2 ohm stable,   let me know how all the speakers are wired to the amp
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
Daikos 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 04, 2004 at 5:23 PM / IP Logged  
First i made a mistake I'm using a Legacy 1470 not 1870. I currently have it wired like this:
Amp Turning Off -- posted image.
Daikos 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 04, 2004 at 5:24 PM / IP Logged  
http://www.legacycaraudio.com/itempage.asp?model=LA1870 theres the model and info on it if that can help.
Heres a pic of how the subs are wired in:
Amp Turning Off -- posted image.
Daikos 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 04, 2004 at 5:25 PM / IP Logged  
Ooops sorry for double post. ignore the first one didn't realize i had sent that through. its full of false info hehe
audiopro111 
Copper - Posts: 160
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 04, 2004 at 6:53 PM / IP Logged  

what gauge is the power.ground and speaker wire and did u ground over a painted surface does this amp have a crossover and how is it set ,is anything else powered off the same lines of your amp and are the 2 subs the only thing running off thjis amp...............

p.s. Make sure u have proper ventilation on this amp and if amp has internal fan make sure it's coming on            

Later,

AudioPro111
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 04, 2004 at 7:03 PM / IP Logged  
well from that I would say possible bad ground,    have you actually looked at the amp when it cuts out, try to get it to cut out while looking at the amp, this will tell if its going into protection, or shutting off...Either could be a bad ground, you could have a bad remote wire.    you could have wire on one of the speakers touching the basket or each other,   any of which would cause trouble    look for these and let us know
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
Daikos 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 04, 2004 at 7:24 PM / IP Logged  
Audiopro:
Power is 4 gauage as is ground wire. Speaker wire I'm not sure on its pretty thin and came unlabeled as far as I know.
No crossover and nothing else is powered except for the amp which is running the two subs.
The ground was over a partially painted surface (some paint left on it some off) so I'll try scraping a spot clean and putting it there.
And the ventilation is good as far as I can tell the amp is right on the box out in the open.
Jeffchilcott:
It goes into protection mode so I will try and change the ground and check the speaker wiring.
Thanks to both of you, this is the first system I've ever set up in a car so I'm real new to everything
audiopro111 
Copper - Posts: 160
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 04, 2004 at 7:34 PM / IP Logged  

also change the speaker wire go to a thicker gauge a thin wire causes amp to over heat because it sees to much resistence and this can cause to go into protection also.

Good Luck,

AudioPro111
Daikos 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 04, 2004 at 7:38 PM / IP Logged  
Alright I'll do that.
Thanks again.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic