icon

Caps from a welder

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
cngodles 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: November 07, 2004 at 11:59 AM / IP Logged  

We recently tore apart a welder and I found an array of blue caps. At least I think they are caps. On the side of them they say:

MALLORY

Made in the USA

CGR143E035V4C3PH

14000MFD 35VCD

POS + 85C

MAX SURGE 50 VCD

Is there anyway I can hook these into my current install so they act as a cap for my amp? When I turn it way up it dims the head unit on hits. I have 8-14 of these, I'm not exactly sure.

They have two posts on top, one is a + sign.

Thanks,

Clint

Clinton N. Godlesky
dr_sound 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 07, 2004 at 12:37 PM / IP Logged  

hey, do you want to connect them on parallel to get them added? ok look this

14000(micro farads) * 14 = 196000 microfarads then 1 farad has 1000000 microfarads well 196000 / 1000000 = .196 farads, I think it´s not enough to bring you much current on your system.

Better buy an 1.25 farads capacitor, its cheaper than $100 just look out for it, and very easy to install.

see you

cngodles 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 07, 2004 at 9:21 PM / IP Logged  

I am currently running an IX404 Kicker Amp Bridged with one speaker. The speaker is a 200 Watt Normal 600 Watt Max Pioneer Sub. The apm says it pushes 120 walls at 4 ohms bridged mono RMS.

I have 8 of those caps. Would it help at all to install them? How would I install them? Connect all of the plus sides together with the power and all of the negative sides to the other side leading to the amp? Could this possibly lower my power?

What exactly is a farad?

Very curious. Thanks for the info, you are very informative.

Thanks,

Clint

Clinton N. Godlesky
bdl666 
Silver - Posts: 330
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 08, 2004 at 3:37 AM / IP Logged  

What kind of welder was it? Those caps look small.

cngodles 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 08, 2004 at 1:26 PM / IP Logged  

I think a Miller 135. It's about the smallest MIG welder you can buy.

I figured out the farad thing. Intersting.

Still think they will help my system at all?

Thanks,

Clint

Clinton N. Godlesky
Teken 
Gold - Posts: 1,492
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 08, 2004 at 3:49 PM / IP Logged  
cngodles wrote:
Still think they will help my system at all?
No it wont. Save your money and invest in a H.O. alternator. This will address 98% of your problems, and will ensure many trouble free years of service.
Knowledge is power. But only if you apply that knowledge in a positive way, which promotes positive results in others.
EVIL Teken . . .
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 08, 2004 at 4:47 PM / IP Logged  
Ya, using those is usless and you would not want to even bother. Also a cap generally wont solve dimming problems. I would toss em in the trash and get a HO altenator.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
Teken 
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 08, 2004 at 5:19 PM / IP Logged  
If you havent done so already, upgrading all primary power and ground cabling is something else that will reap many benenfits for you, and the vehicle.
Remember, proper termination of all bindings is paramount, along with soldering the end connections.
Doing so will ensure maximum current transfer, and will reduce the on set of corrosion leading up the wiring strands.
Knowledge is power. But only if you apply that knowledge in a positive way, which promotes positive results in others.
EVIL Teken . . .
dr_sound 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 12, 2004 at 7:38 PM / IP Logged  

hey men I´m  SO SO sorry, I don´t know what I did. But somebody of this page told me  the last time that  I´m wrong, check this...

THE FARAD

Capacitance is measured in units called FARADS. A one-farad capacitor stores one coulomb (a unit of charge (Q) equal to 6.28 X 1018 electrons) of charge when a potential of 1 volt is applied across the terminals of the capacitor. This can be expressed by the formula:

Caps from a welder -- posted image.

The farad is a very large unit of measurement of capacitance. For convenience, the microfarad (abbreviated mF) or the picofarad (abbreviated pF) is used. One (1.0) microfarad is equal to 0.000001 farad or 1 X 10-6 farad, and 1.0 picofarad is equal to 0.000000000001 farad or 1.0 X 10-12 farad. Capacitance is a physical property of the capacitor and does not depend on circuit characteristics of voltage, current, and resistance. A given capacitor always has the same value of capacitance (farads) in one circuit as in any other circuit in which it is connected.

A farad is 1,000 000 micro farads it´s not 1,000 microfarads so if you have 8  caps  (8 x 14000 = 112,000 microfarads) now (112000/1000000) *remember, an farad has 1,000000 microfarads so, the result is .112 farads.

now tell me what kind of "m" has the capacitor an "m" like this M thats mili (.001 farads) if you have this,  U have a lot of capacitance at home, and I hope that You give me some one of them...

Can you tell me what the problem with your sound? does the radio "flashes" with the bass? or the sub doesn´t sound like you want?

tell me about the "m´s" too bye

Daniel Rangel

Teken 
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 13, 2004 at 11:36 AM / IP Logged  
It doesnt matter if its a big M, or small m. He still does not have enough capacitance to make a difference.
The ESR value is more than likely not very good on those caps anyways.
ESR is the sum of in-phase AC resistance. It includes resistance of the dielectric, plate material, electrolytic solution, and terminal leads at a particular frequency.
ESR acts like a resistor in series with a capacitor (thus the name Equivalent Series Resistance).
EVIL Teken . . .
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic