the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Car audio home audio ?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 19, 2004 at 11:20 AM / IP Logged  

kfr01 wrote:
1st) The UcD amplifier module is intriguing to me. I've never built an amp. Do you have a sense for how much money, outside of the enclosure, it usually takes to get a UcD up and running? Power supply, slowstart, etc.? Also, after browsing pages and pages of UcD topic on that forum I learned that everyone seems to be connecting their UcD differently. Do you know if there is a reference design?

Contact our tech department about that one.  I know our engineers were working on ways to connect them and know the strengths and weaknesses.  In fact I believe they will have a multichannel solution complete with casing available for resale in the future.  That may save you the headache.  Here's the link: http://www.adireaudio.com/TextPages/UCDFlexAmpsPageFrameText.htm

kfr01 wrote:
2nd) How do you all feel about a pro-audio amplifier from a company like QSC? They seem to be low priced and reasonably clean. Something like this combined with the behringer would make a digital crossover easy to implement. I really like the fact that SoundEasy software, LspCad too I think, interface directly with the behringer.
Thoughts?

We actually have a QSC amplifier here at the shop.  We use it to power speakers for testing purposes.  It seems to work great.  I think the biggest problem with using pro-sound amplifiers for home audio use is the fan noise. 

BTW, I talked it over with our sales guy, and I found out that I was wrong earlier.  It turns out that SoundEasy is just as accurate as LspCad.  The difference is that LspCad is MUCH easier to use.  I guess it's a real pain to figure out how to use SoundEasy, but once you get it you will have a great piece of software available to you.

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 19, 2004 at 11:41 AM / IP Logged  

In general, pro-sound amps have lower S/N ratios and higher distortion numbers than home amps, simply because they are designed for long-throw installations where the noise and distortion from the speaker systems will far outweigh any amplifier shortcomings.  Plus they are often used outdoors...  Home theatre gear has to be much quieter as it is designed for near-field usage.  That being said, I also like QSC amps and have two of them in my lab.  I love BGW pro line and of course Crown (I have used these in theatre setups many times) and some Furman gear, and have also had some good success recently with Rane amps and pre-amps, believe it or not.  The advantage to using pro-line gear is you generally get balanced inputs and often can run 70V outputs if you want to.  Community makes some of the best pro-sound speakers available IMO.  And don't underestimate Alesis and Mackie.  These brands are surprisingly good given their relatively low price points..

Beheringer makes great gear, altghough they can be a bit overpriced, depending on what you need.  I use one of their mics and microphone pre-amps for my RTA.

Support the12volt.com
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 19, 2004 at 3:53 PM / IP Logged  

Ok, I found some more info on our UCD module project, which includes pictures.  Here's the link: http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/viewtopic.php?t=13993

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 19, 2004 at 4:28 PM / IP Logged  
Hmm.. Maybe with full UcD kits coming out, possible Extremis reference designs, etc. I should just hang on to my hat for another couple months before buying anything.
People on the diyaudio forum really seem to love those little UcD modules. The only downside I seem to keep hearing is that they are possibly a little too accurate and revealing.
I like what one of the guys did. He put his components in a normal case then ordered a custom front panel from http://www.frontpanelexpress.com/. In his entertainment center / rack it looked like high end commercial gear.
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 19, 2004 at 6:05 PM / IP Logged  
I think we are going for the largest and most imforitave post ever!!!1
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
Page of 5

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.