icon

Diamond Audio vs Eclipse Subs

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Lizardking 
Copper - Posts: 184
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2004 at 10:50 AM / IP Logged  
The Diamond I'm looking at is 1200watts RMS @1ohm load which would be ideal for my subs as well right?
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2004 at 11:41 AM / IP Logged  
TRUST ME!!! The Eclipse amps are way underrated, as well.. I use the DA7232 at 4 ohms per channel, both channels run to a single 9122 (stereo - it ain't bridgeable), and that thing is AMAZING!!! The drivers you have will load each channel to 2 ohms, and you will have a conservatively rated 850 watts to each driver. That'll split yer HEAD, man! Diamond Audio vs Eclipse  Subs - Page 3 -- posted image. According to Eclipse, that amp really makes closer to around 1300 watts per channel into 4 ohms. Yes, more power than you need, granted, but as long as you adjust your gains correctly, it'll be safe... If you use the Diamond, which as you say is 1200 watts, you will be running only 600 watts to each driver, and your distortion will be higher with a lower damping factor, due to the 1 ohm load. Use the Eclipse DA7232, run it at 2 ohms per channel, and keep the gains at a safe level (meaning PROPERLY ADJUSTED!). This'll give you LOTS of real, continuous power, better damping (control), PLENTY of output, and you will still have headroom to spare. I PROMISE, you will be happy with that setup!
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2004 at 12:18 PM / IP Logged  
I agree with this 100%. Don't buy an amp based on a spec, especially one like THD and 1 ohm. The lower your impedence drops, the less the ability of the amp to control the motion of the driver (wet fart bass anyone?) and the more current is drawn from the electrical system. As far as the THD spec goes, your subs will produce waaaaaaaaay, did I mention waaaaaaaay more distortion than any amplifier will compared to a THD spec. Throw this one out the window, from the top floor preferably.  The Eclipse DA7232 is a dual mono amp. It is a symetrical design that in part was designed by B&O. (a nice high end home manufacturer). While the "specs" say 2 x 850w rms, as was pointed out, this is totally underrated.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
ophidia31 
Copper - Posts: 78
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2004 at 12:20 PM / IP Logged  

haemphyst wrote:
TRUST ME!!! The Eclipse amps are way underrated, as well.. I use the DA7232 at 4 ohms per channel, both channels run to a single 9122 (stereo - it ain't bridgeable), and that thing is AMAZING!!! The drivers you have will load each channel to 2 ohms, and you will have a conservatively rated 850 watts to each driver. That'll split yer HEAD, man! Diamond Audio vs Eclipse  Subs - Page 3 -- posted image. According to Eclipse, that amp really makes closer to around 1300 watts per channel into 4 ohms. Yes, more power than you need, granted, but as long as you adjust your gains correctly, it'll be safe... If you use the Diamond, which as you say is 1200 watts, you will be running only 600 watts to each driver, and your distortion will be higher with a lower damping factor, due to the 1 ohm load. Use the Eclipse DA7232, run it at 2 ohms per channel, and keep the gains at a safe level (meaning PROPERLY ADJUSTED!). This'll give you LOTS of real, continuous power, better damping (control), PLENTY of output, and you will still have headroom to spare. I PROMISE, you will be happy with that setup!

yep, why would you think theyd make their pro series subs (omg!) if they didnt have anything that would be able to even power them. i love my eclipse products Diamond Audio vs Eclipse  Subs - Page 3 -- posted image.

Lizardking 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2004 at 6:13 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks guys!
uthinkuknoaudio 
Silver - Posts: 760
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2004 at 6:47 PM / IP Logged  
Your welcome
"I don't play games. I play Nakamichi and that for real yo" - Probably some japanese kid said this in the early 80's trying to sell stereo out of his trunk lol.
Lizardking 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 19, 2004 at 12:06 AM / IP Logged  

Another question is if I have a amp putting out 1400watts RMS to 1ohm load and I have two DVC subs wired in parallel then it's acutally only putting 700 watts RMS to each sub?

haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 19, 2004 at 10:34 AM / IP Logged  
yep...
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
Lizardking 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 19, 2004 at 11:13 AM / IP Logged  

So recap things, I would be better off going with a amp that's two channel class D amp like the Eclipse and not going with a amp that put's out like the Diamond 1200.1 even though the Diamond is supposed to be way underrated. By running my sub in a 1ohm load puts a lot of stress on a amp.  Sorry for all the questions just trying to learn.  Another thing is my USAcoustics 1000D amp says it can run 1250watts RMS @ 1ohm load with only 12volts. Now USAcoustics is telling me with 14volts I'm seeing close to around 1400watts RMS. When I run my USAcoustics amp with my Eclipse subs the amp don't even get warm like it's even working hard and this thing pounds hard. I just want to make sure before I fork out the money I will be gaining. USAcoustics say's they are not in to looks but performance and this is why their amps like mine sell for only $450.

Thanks guys!

Lizardking 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 19, 2004 at 11:19 AM / IP Logged  

Looking over my spec sheet on my amp I'm able to run this thing of both speaker ouputs in a 2 ohm load. It has two sets of speaker ouputs and the brochure says I can hook up two subs to each one with a 2ohm load. Would I be better off doing this? Also the amp says it's 700watts RMS @ 2ohm load with 12volts.

Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic