icon

true?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
thapimpfromchi 
Silver - Posts: 616
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2004 at 1:07 PM / IP Logged  

Hey guys, i was on my honda civic website, and i saw a new forum called car audio. I was reading a few things on there, and ran across this statement.

"For example...let's use the JL Audio W7 series for arguements sake. The 10W7 has an efficiency of 84.3 SPL @ 1W/1M and the 8W7 has a efficiency of 82.7 SPL @ 1W/1M. The 10W7 has a power rating of 500watts continuous which is the recommended power rating for the woofer by JL. The 8W7 has a continuous power handling of 300watts but they recommend their 250/1 to power it. OK, if you take that single 10" and put 1watt of power in it, it will play 84.3db but everytime you double the power that rating will go up 3db so basically with 500watts of power it will play 108.3db. Now do the same with the 8W7, but before you start you add 3db because you will be running 2 8's, so instead of starting with a 82.7 SPL you will be starting with 85.7. Now that number with 500watts of power it will play 112.7db. Doesn't seem like alot but believe me that's a big deal and is very noticeable."

I was just wondering how true that was/is. it makes sense, but i dont think its that easy.

1990 Honda Civic HB:
Clarion DXZ545MP H.U.
2- 6.5" Power Acoustik interiors
Diamond Audio 600.1 amp
Diamond Audio 15" M6MKII
Pyramid PB881X 4 CH. Amp
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2004 at 1:24 PM / IP Logged  

What's the website?

Here is a basic scale based on these numbers

84.3 = 1

87.3 = 2

90.3 = 4

93.3 = 8

96.3 = 16

99.3 = 32

102.3 = the square root of an the capacity of your dogs stomach

105.3 = 128

108.3 = 256

111.3 = 512

So either my math is out or their math is out. Maybe they did not factor in the dogs stomach? The principle that they list is correct but it seems the numbers are a little off.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2004 at 1:39 PM / IP Logged  

Plus due to losses and inefficiencies, it is not always a stricly accurate algorithm. 

And you have to use a schnauzer to get the most accurate dog stomach offset numbers.  If you use the standard golden retriever factor the math comes out closer to the results in the original message.  I think Bose and Sony use a wiener dog as their baseline, which is how they can advertise fake power ratings.

Support the12volt.com
thapimpfromchi 
Silver - Posts: 616
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2004 at 2:27 PM / IP Logged  

lmao. u guys are awesome. to rob, the website is www.clubhonda.com 

this is a link to the thread. its about the 4th or 5th post down.

http://www.clubhonda.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13442

check it out.

1990 Honda Civic HB:
Clarion DXZ545MP H.U.
2- 6.5" Power Acoustik interiors
Diamond Audio 600.1 amp
Diamond Audio 15" M6MKII
Pyramid PB881X 4 CH. Amp
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 18, 2004 at 3:41 PM / IP Logged  
DYohn wrote:

Plus due to losses and inefficiencies, it is not always a stricly accurate algorithm. 

And that's just the subs side of things.  This isn't taking into account the environment the sub is used in (room transfer functions) or the impact the enclosure will have on efficiency.  For subs, efficiency ratings are thrown out the window as soon as you place the sub in an enclosure.  Also, what frequency are we talking about?  If I can find the impedance peak I can get the sub to be REALLY loud off of one watt. true? -- posted image.

From what I understand, one company rates their subs at half a meter and in vehicle.  So their numbers are extremely inflated.

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2004 at 4:00 PM / IP Logged  
Could that perhaps be Audiobahn with 97db woofers? You don't have to answer that, but I have a hunch. :-)
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 18, 2004 at 4:31 PM / IP Logged  

kfr01 wrote:
Could that perhaps be Audiobahn with 97db woofers? You don't have to answer that, but I have a hunch. :-)

Not at all.  A bunch of chrome and flame designs actually adds efficiency to the driver.  Honest.

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2004 at 5:19 PM / IP Logged  
true? -- posted image. I never knew that... Damn, looks like I have to get rid of my Eclipse SW9122, 'cause there ain't no flames... and no chrome either!
Yer KILLIN' me, Steven!
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
uthinkuknoaudio 
Silver - Posts: 760
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2004 at 5:22 PM / IP Logged  
Dang, well, time to sell my brahmas then for some super high quality efficient Audiobahns! lol
"I don't play games. I play Nakamichi and that for real yo" - Probably some japanese kid said this in the early 80's trying to sell stereo out of his trunk lol.
archemedes 
Copper - Posts: 172
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2004 at 7:29 PM / IP Logged  
but only if you have the stickers too
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic