icon

Siren On All The Time?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Coomer 
Copper - Posts: 103
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 20, 2004 at 5:49 PM / IP Logged  
Right now my car is torn apart and my Alpine SEC-8028 is installed for the most part. The door locks work, parking lights work, LEDs work, etc. The only thing wrong is that my siren is always on once I hook up the siren wires.
I'm hooking up the positive side of the siren to my blue wire(pin #16) on my alarm wiring harness. And I've put the system in valet mode and taken it out of valet mode, and it doesn't make a difference. Also, I'm not sure if my siren is supposed to be very quiet, but it is...I don't even think it's 1/3 as loud as my Autopage siren/alarm on my other Celica.
Anyone have any ideas? I'm hoping to have the car back together tonight.
jimmeezgolfvr6 
Silver - Posts: 258
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 20, 2004 at 6:06 PM / IP Logged  
sounds like you have yet to connect the ground wire of the brain, or maybe it's not a proper ground point. the brain is finding an indirect ground through something else that's already connected, most likely the ignition wire. bottom line is to check the ground. good luck!
all problems can be resolved with a hammer
Coomer 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 20, 2004 at 6:30 PM / IP Logged  
OK, I'll go try out a new ground and see if that fixes my problem.
Coomer 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 20, 2004 at 6:40 PM / IP Logged  
OK, I just tried out two new grounds, and came up with the exact same problem. I tried unhooking the ground completely, and the brain wouldn't do anything at all. Any more ideas?
silversi17 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: November 20, 2004 at 8:01 PM / IP Logged  

1) Where do you have the siren grounded to? 

2) Not sure exactly on that model of alarm, but sometimes there is a jumper wire or something like that you have to cut/change on the siren itself that will make it loud.

Coomer 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2004 at 3:48 PM / IP Logged  
First I grounded it to the main unpainted metal frame of my center console. Then I tried grounding it to a 10mm bolt which is right near the kick panel and touches bare metal. Then I tried grounding it to the metal beam that runs through the inside of the dash. All gave the exact same results, and all grounds were tested with a multimeter and were indeed ground sources.
Coomer 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2004 at 3:13 PM / IP Logged  
Anyone have any ideas as to what could be causing this? Think my brain is bad?
jimmeezgolfvr6 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2004 at 8:42 PM / IP Logged  
did you try poking your multimeter at the point where the ground wire goes into the brain itself? maybe the wire's been broken off along the way. i've been guilty myself of connecting the wrong wire to ground and ended up scratching my head for the longest time....turns out i grounded a wire that was black with a stripe on it but i didn't notice. just a thought.
jimmeezgolfvr6 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2004 at 9:02 PM / IP Logged  
btw, alpine sirens do sound quiet for the first couple of seconds. that's normal. they won't ring at normal volume until around 3 seconds into ringing.
Coomer 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2004 at 2:44 AM / IP Logged  
jimmeezgolfvr6 wrote:
did you try poking your multimeter at the point where the ground wire goes into the brain itself? maybe the wire's been broken off along the way. i've been guilty myself of connecting the wrong wire to ground and ended up scratching my head for the longest time....turns out i grounded a wire that was black with a stripe on it but i didn't notice. just a thought.
Good idea, but unfortunately, I'm getting ground right at the brain. I don't know what to do at this point. Siren On All The Time? -- posted image.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic