icon

punk kids scoping my car

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bullman96 
Silver - Posts: 294
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2004 at 2:29 AM / IP Logged  
i live in a quiet mountain town, and never thought of putting an alarm system in. i keep my system quiet and usually had no worries. one night when i went out for a smoke i noticed 3 kids looking into my car with flshlights(must have saw my amps at the grocery store or something), grabbed my baseball bat and scared them away. what would be a good alarm system to get that is basic, extremely loud(im a deep sleeper and have no neighbors), relatively simple to install, and of course wont break the bank?
i have a 96 dodge ram regular cab with old fashion locks and windows, pretty much as basic as it gets. no AC or anything except for engine mods and stereo. i would like something touch sensitive except that there is quite a bit of wildlife in my area, bears and such. listing my options and price ranges would be very helpful. thanks
jrilla 
Gold - Posts: 1,498
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2004 at 8:39 AM / IP Logged  
Well as long as you dont mind confronting them, which it sounds like you don't have any problem doing, I would say just get a 2 way paging alarm that sends a signal to the transmitter if there is a violation. You wouldn't even need the siren hooked up if you wanted to surprise them. I don't normally recommend this line of action since it encourages confrontation, but it works.
I would recommend a glass break sensor and say skip the shock sensor since those are the most common cause of false alarms. Or install it and dont set it very sensitive.
Or you could get a doberman.
Commando FM-870
There are tons of units out there, but this is just one that is a good buy.
J Rilla
Owner/Installer
bullman96 
Silver - Posts: 294
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2004 at 3:15 PM / IP Logged  
how complicated will the system be to install? i am decently good with car audio and i dont have the kind of money to spend on someone else doing it for me, nor would i want someone to do it. also, with the pager, how does it tell you when the alarm has been triggered? does it beep, whistle, vibrate, etc.?
draasch 
Gold - Posts: 2,172
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2004 at 4:22 PM / IP Logged  
its a cake job with the help from us here......................
Good Luck
David
Ace Security
813-376-9778
Tampa
Donate to the 12volt
jrilla 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2004 at 9:49 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah the install is really nothing. It will take you a bit of time on your first, but that truck is not difficult.
J Rilla
Owner/Installer
jrilla 
Posted: November 21, 2004 at 9:53 PM / IP Logged  
Oh yeah, sorry...The transmitter beeps or vibrates (you can switch between the 2 modes) It also has a diagram of the car on it and shows which sensor was triggered.
J Rilla
Owner/Installer
gcorrea 
Silver - Posts: 436
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2004 at 11:07 PM / IP Logged  
any questions post them, theres always someone ready to answer your questions, thanks everyone.
gcorrea
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2004 at 1:07 PM / IP Logged  
OK, if you are really concerened about this I have a couple of suggestions. First 2 way is usually a good plan of action to take. I liek the glass break Idea because it has obvious advantages and wont break the bank. The shock sensor is not something that cause false alarms if its a decent sensor and SET PROPERLY. Most people seem to think if they crank the sensor that is the best course of action, which is just stupid. You cant get something that is feather touch sensitive but you could get a proximity sensor that will produce a warning chirp if someone gets to, say, within 2 feet of your vehicle. If you do get a prox I would mabye suggest only hooking up to the warn away input on the alarm so it cant send your alarm into full blown panic mode. This would prevent wild life or someone just walking by the car in   parking lot from scaring the sh*t out of themselves and not making you panic every time the remote goes off. With all this said I would mabye look at a viper 690 or a compustar of somekind. Alarms are somethign where you dont want to buy a piece of sh*t or else they become usless because if they false all the time you will stop paying attention to them. As far as loud goes, just add in a relay and a couple more sirens and you should be able to hear it inside your house with out a problem
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
gcorrea 
Silver - Posts: 436
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2004 at 8:47 PM / IP Logged  
dont forget viper alarms have multiplexed inputs for the shock  sensors so youcant delete the full trigger using a dei proximity sensor.
gcorrea
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2004 at 11:13 PM / IP Logged  
Sure you can, the prox sensor has a blue wire and a green wire comming off the sensor and if you hook up the green wire to the blue multiplex wire off the brain it will only do warn away. I do this just about every week.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic