icon

Headliner

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
hersheyloc 
Copper - Posts: 86
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2004 at 2:39 AM / IP Logged  

Hey, I wanna redo the headliner of my friends 82 monte carlo in white vynol. He's getting the seats wrapped in white, so I thought thta'd be a good way to go. Anyways, I'm still not exactly familiar with how I'd go about getting the material on the headliner. The old liner is all sagging..it's litterally being held in place with thumbtacks. So removing that one is noo problem. Should I go with some kind of glue? Also. I wanted to place a grid of buttons on it, you know like on those old leather couches you have almost a little crater in which a button is sewn in. How should I go about doing all this? Get some foam maybe? then figure out a way to get that button look goin. I dunno, I'm lost. SOS!

randman1 
Member - Posts: 29
Member spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2004 at 6:57 AM / IP Logged  
I've never put vinyl on a headliner before, but this is one adhesive that's used for the foam-backed material:
Headliner -- posted image.
Make sure you get the 90 and not the others. When you remove the headliner, there will probably be some foam and adhesive remaining. I used a palm sander and sandpaper to remove the majority of the remains. The headliner backerboards are relatively stiff but don't sand too much or with too coarse of a grit.
As far as those buttons go, I have no idea. I don't think that would look very good but since I've never seen it before... it just might look great.
hersheyloc 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2004 at 1:04 PM / IP Logged  

The buttons are gonna look something like this...

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/464043/2

Its the very last 2 pics. They have the buttons. I want it to look somethinglike that.

kickerstang 
Copper - Posts: 180
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2004 at 1:36 PM / IP Logged  

take the headliner down, like the cardboard backing and the cloth covering it, take off the old cloth.  get some 1/2" or 1" foam padding and glue it to the cardboard backing.  once you have done that wrap the headliner in whatever you want.  they make these buttons that have a small loop on the back side, find some of those and get a big needle and thread.  loop the thread through the back of the button and stick it through the freshly wrapped headliner where ever you want, and just tie it off on the back of the headliner.  do that until your done and just reinstall your newly buttoned headliner, hope this helps

what!?!?! you want some??
hersheyloc 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2004 at 1:40 PM / IP Logged  
When I wrap the fabric over the foam, how do I secure it on the other side? Staple wont work..glue may not hold up against the pulling of the fabric. Not too sure how to do this.
kickerstang 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2004 at 1:42 PM / IP Logged  
why won't staples work??
hersheyloc 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2004 at 1:43 PM / IP Logged  

Won't they go right through and poke out the other side?

kickerstang 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2004 at 1:45 PM / IP Logged  
well if you use 1" foam unless your using 1" staples you got a little room to play with
kickerstang 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2004 at 1:46 PM / IP Logged  
the staples will just go into the foam, they do make 1/4" staples that would do just fine
hersheyloc 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2004 at 1:46 PM / IP Logged  
Fair enough. Maybe staple it down, then use some kinda of glue after, then remove the staples.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic