icon

Why is JL stuff so friggin expensive?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dr. righteous 
Member - Posts: 34
Member spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2004 at 7:02 AM / IP Logged  

Looking high and low for a 15w3v2 sub but the best prices seem to be in the $300 range. 

Need this particular sub because of the 500W rating and good performance in a relatively small enclosure.  Nothing else will stand up to my Peavey CS-800 amp. 

Do you guys know of  a dealer that is a bit more reasonable??

Real High Fidelity........
or forget it.
raydawg357 
Silver - Posts: 769
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2004 at 8:55 AM / IP Logged  
The mark up on JL items is outragous.  You can probably talk the sales down.  I got 2 15w3d4 for $125 ea.  but that was through JL's accomodations for installers.
Do it right the first time
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2004 at 9:58 AM / IP Logged  
Peavy CS800?  You building a PA or an instrument cabinet?  I would not use JL for this.  Try an Adire Tempest or an Eminence Magnum or any of several great sounding 15" pro sound drivers from Fane, EV, Beyma, or hey, even the famous Peavy Black Widow.
Support the12volt.com
gus1 
Gold - Posts: 1,013
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2004 at 10:22 AM / IP Logged  
Sounda like we've got a bass player here..... I'll second Mr. Yohn's opinion. Car audio woofers, while sounding great in a car, won't "cut" on stage, so to speak. Try out a JBL, EV, the Peavey BW 1504-DT, and, if you want something really nice, check out B&C, RCF, or try and source a Mesa Boogie driver.
I'm rather partial to the B&C and RCF stuff.... RCF 18" hammer like there's no tomorrow in my EAW SB1000's! Just feed a good clean 2500wRMS into each cabinet....
Gus
Wherever I go, that is where I end up......
dr. righteous 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2004 at 12:12 PM / IP Logged  

DYohn wrote:
Peavy CS800?  You building a PA or an instrument cabinet?  I would not use JL for this.  Try an Adire Tempest or an Eminence Magnum or any of several great sounding 15" pro sound drivers from Fane, EV, Beyma, or hey, even the famous Peavy Black Widow.

Yeah, the CS-800 is considered a PA amp but this is actually my part of my home stereo system.

That is my sub amp and I have 2 CS-400s for mid and high.   But these old amps speaker loads have to be the right value or they go into protect mode.  For 800W mono I need the dual 4 ohm voice coil JL 15.  And the JL doesn't need a huge cabinet like most 15s do.  Looking at a ported 4 cu ft cabinet for this thing.

Been buying dead Peaveys on Ebay dirt cheap and fixing them.  Usually problems are dirty connections on the preamp boards, broken controls ect.  So far there has not been any major problems with them.  You can see why they don't make them like this anymore.  :)

or forget it.
dr. righteous 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2004 at 12:22 PM / IP Logged  

gus1 wrote:
Sounda like we've got a bass player here..... I'll second Mr. Yohn's opinion. Car audio woofers, while sounding great in a car, won't "cut" on stage, so to speak. Try out a JBL, EV, the Peavey BW 1504-DT, and, if you want something really nice, check out B&C, RCF, or try and source a Mesa Boogie driver.
I'm rather partial to the B&C and RCF stuff.... RCF 18" hammer like there's no tomorrow in my EAW SB1000's! Just feed a good clean 2500wRMS into each cabinet....
Gus

No, bass player here.  (but that would be cool though!) Just need a sub that will stand up to some real power in a home stereo. 

All the gear is PA though.  3 Peavey CS amps and a Rane AC23 Xover.  The only 'processing' is a old original BBE Sonic Maximizer.  Using an OLD, OLD, Sony Vfet amp as my preamp.  The obsolete FET outputs are bad and made of unobtainium.  It has preamp outs and makes a very clean preamp. 

The system sounds unreal and I have made many believers in old and cheap PA gear. 

Right now I am running the CS-800 one channel to a old Crunch Pro 12.  It has preformed well for many years but it is starting to show it age and has not held up well with 400W being slammed to it. 

So it is time to upgrade to a single 15" that will  handle the entire amp, not just one channel.

or forget it.
kickerstang 
Copper - Posts: 180
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2004 at 1:40 PM / IP Logged  

because it's got that little "JL" symbol on the dust cap

what!?!?! you want some??
uthinkuknoaudio 
Silver - Posts: 760
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2004 at 3:19 PM / IP Logged  
JL is just lousy to me. It is way overpriced and no where near worth it, for any woofer they sell. The Adire Brahma is as good if not better than the W7 by personal opinion, and its half the price.
"I don't play games. I play Nakamichi and that for real yo" - Probably some japanese kid said this in the early 80's trying to sell stereo out of his trunk lol.
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2004 at 4:04 PM / IP Logged  

JL is so expensive because they dont use off the shelf parts like other companys, they use quality parts. I own a 12" WO and I think it is just as good or better then similar subs in the price range

dr. righteous 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2004 at 5:32 PM / IP Logged  
customsuburb wrote:

JL is so expensive because they dont use off the shelf parts like other companys, they use quality parts. I own a 12" WO and I think it is just as good or better then similar subs in the price range

They don't use "off the shelf" parts?  So they custom make everything.   Gotcha.  I often wondered if there are just a few plants that actually manufacture speakers and most company just buy them and put their name on them. 

That is usually what happens with most consumer electronics.

or forget it.
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic