icon

Why is JL stuff so friggin expensive?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Maxst 
Silver - Posts: 866
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2004 at 11:08 PM / IP Logged  

Go for the adire tumult for home audio... and make a sonotube enclosure for it...aka the water heater.

Or dual shivas...  Hit the net for design plans...many people have done this set up.  If i remember right...it goes down to 19hz at like 100Db. 

I need quality equipment, feel free to donate.
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2004 at 12:11 PM / IP Logged  
norcalcreations wrote:

I know jl has a lot of there technology patented.  I think  that they buy there baskets, magnets, and probably a few other things from some company.   check out this auction. http:///.com/dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5736401921&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

I think it is the other way around. That other company ripped of JLs W0. 600 Watts of RMS power on that "raw power labs" sub and the JL can only handle 125 watts RMS. I dont think so. I guess the red "powerpainted" finish on the outside makes it handle 475 more watts Why is JL stuff so friggin expensive? - Page 3 -- posted image.

uthinkuknoaudio 
Silver - Posts: 760
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2004 at 5:03 PM / IP Logged  
Lol, those woofers are crap. It would be funny if it was true though! I might have to powderpaint my brahmas so i can hit as hard as those!!!
"I don't play games. I play Nakamichi and that for real yo" - Probably some japanese kid said this in the early 80's trying to sell stereo out of his trunk lol.
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2004 at 5:22 PM / IP Logged  
You can use this 1000 watt amp to power it Why is JL stuff so friggin expensive? - Page 3 -- posted image.  http:///.com/dll?ViewItem&category=18796&item=5736395829 There's a reason why the power and ground is only 10 gauge cable...
norcalcreations 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2004 at 6:18 PM / IP Logged  

dude man, the powder coating can double the wattage a sub can handle, come on its common knowledge.  can do wonders for the amps output to.   Almost as much as the dust the guy didn't clean off before listing.  If anything the patent for the w0's probably ran out.  If anyone is interested in parts for making subs here is a website I came acrosst a while ago.  I think it would be tight to have a speaker I built myself,  but I figure the thing would probably sound like crap.     http://www.xiangyangusa.com/index.html   Does know how to search the forum.  When I use the search button at the top it seems to search the site, and not the forum. I have questions, but don't want to spam the forum with a bunch of questions that I am sure have been awnsered 100 times.

dr. righteous 
Member - Posts: 34
Member spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2004 at 7:10 AM / IP Logged  

That amp looks like the crap "Sound Barrier" brand.  The red paint is just a ruse.  I don't know if they still do this but years ago a company would come to town and do big advertsing "factory closesout high end audio gear car and home".  Usually they would have an exotic car on display or some uberbabe that has won some bogus beauty contest (Miss Junk Audio of 1989)   Well, if you even went to one, you have to PAY to get in.  The brand name stuff was sold out accept for some low end refurbs.  The exotic car was not there, the uberbabe wasn't much to look at and what they were selling was CRAP. 

Power coated?

Most likely painted with a spray bomb.  You can't tell anything from the pics.

Real High Fidelity........
or forget it.
cbecker33 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2004 at 11:44 AM / IP Logged  
Have you tried looking at www.diyaudio.com.......they'll have all the info you could possibly want.
Chris
norcalcreations 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2004 at 1:55 AM / IP Logged  
thats a good lookin site, thanks a lot
If you think you know everything you will learn nothing
bizzeh 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2004 at 6:52 AM / IP Logged  
JL cost so much as your paying for all the research they put into they're products....  you can contact JL and get specific box dementions (WxHxD, Port diameter and Length) for specific frequencies if you wanted to start messing about with anything like that....... could you get in contact with kedwood or someone like that,  and get a reply like that from them....... didn`t think so...!!!
Paradigm 
Silver - Posts: 284
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2004 at 6:55 AM / IP Logged  
customsuburb wrote:
norcalcreations wrote:

I know jl has a lot of there technology patented.  I think  that they buy there baskets, magnets, and probably a few other things from some company.   check out this auction. http:///.com/dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5736401921&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

I think it is the other way around. That other company ripped of JLs W0. 600 Watts of RMS power on that "raw power labs" sub and the JL can only handle 125 watts RMS. I dont think so. I guess the red "powerpainted" finish on the outside makes it handle 475 more watts Why is JL stuff so friggin expensive? - Page 3 -- posted image.

Yeah, it looks like some company/individual bought some old stock/damaged JL subs, repainted the basket, screened new logos on the rest of it, and then made up some bogus ratings for some poor sucker, er, potential customer to be impressed by...

VEHICLE: 2002 GMC Sonoma ZR2
Alpine CDA-7940
AudioControl EQT x2
JL Audio 1000/1
JL Audio 10W6 (originals) x3
Kicker ZR120
Kicker ZR460
Polk GXR-6 x4
Polk GXR-4 x2
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic