icon

mp3 quality

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bullman96 
Silver - Posts: 294
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2004 at 3:32 AM / IP Logged  

it depends on how you encode them.  my test tone cd is an mp3 cd and i have tones that are kept that are inaudible.  when i get home on monday or tuesday, i will post an mp3 and a wav with a sweep from 10 hz to 40khz

Francious70 
Silver - Posts: 629
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2004 at 8:54 AM / IP Logged  
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2004 at 10:02 AM / IP Logged  
I didn't say it couldn't be done, bullman, I said the standard compression algorithm (what's used in most encoders and players) won't do it.  I also have heard some MP3 encoded program material that was damn good, especially from iTunes, but that's off a computer not played back on a car HU capable of decoding MP3.  And hey, feel free to disagree with me anytime!  It's just my opinion, after all.  :)  If I think I'm right I'll tell you why and if I'm wrong I'll say thanks for the information!
Support the12volt.com
dr. righteous 
Member - Posts: 34
Member spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2004 at 7:10 PM / IP Logged  

Here's the deal.

MOST people have never heard really, really good sound equipment.  A old fashion Direct Disc record album sounds better than the same album on a CD.  What?  A vinyl record??  Yes, vinyl.  Problem is most people have never heard a Direct Disc record played on a quality turntable with a quality amp and speakers.

Sound quality in the Boom Box generation?  Mash 100 songs on one CD with MP3 and cut the sound quality to nothing, but hey, I have 100 songs on one CD.   

Digitally recorded audio is a compromise.  What is filtered out is the warmth and presents that 'tricks' your ears into thinking you are listening to a live preformance. 

BUT, maybe there is hope.  The latest generations of High Definition (DVD-CD SACD) promise to do a more faithful job of delivering all the music that is there.  Don't know if any car head units will playback SACD or DVD-CD yet though.

Real High Fidelity........
or forget it.
/r7 
Silver - Posts: 340
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2004 at 8:21 PM / IP Logged  
everything i've wanted to say has been said.
my only suggestion is constently encode @ 320kb or as another person mentioned, VBR is a good option if its done at a high quality.
if you can handle the sound difference encode to whatever degree you wish because in the end, if your ear likes it... its fine. though maybe not for the rest of us, thats why some will not even consider mp3's in their car.
myself, i can deal with 192kb, but i much prefer a factory pressed cd over anything else.
Xracerx 
Member - Posts: 39
Member spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2004 at 9:24 PM / IP Logged  

I use 320 or VBR enhanced on a Sound Forge program that can raise or lower the input. to hear the differance though you will need a good sound card like a M-Audio that has true 24bit and a DAC that has been talked about that can handle it. "No Sound Blaster cards need apply" as they are not true 24bit as they state. Never mind there cheap DAC.

I still record CD's in CDA format cause I don't care how many fit on it. I got a CD changer for that.

Xracerx 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2004 at 9:47 PM / IP Logged  

dr. righteous, Your right Vinyl or direct disk has that quality that no CD can match. I still have my old Yamaha Turntable with a super expensive head. It just sounds fills the room with a warm filling sound that I have yet to hear a CD even get close.

One reason I had to get a M-Audio card to record all those records, But not lose any of the quality.

Even to this day the best system is still a vacum tube system. Granted it takes up a whole room, but knowbody has yet got to the same level it produces.

dr. righteous 
Member - Posts: 34
Member spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2004 at 7:17 AM / IP Logged  

One of my best friends several years ago had a Mcintosh Amp and speakers and a B&O turntable.  He pulled those Direct Disc records out and absolutely blew me away.  I was the first in my group of friends to get a CD player.  ($400 single disc Pioneer OUCH!!)  Had that my old Sony Vfet as a preamp and a beat up Aocustic 400w PA amp  as my main amp, and some old Ultra Linear speakers.  Told everyone how SUPER CLEAN my system was.  My buddy just smiled and told me to come over and listen to his 'record player' some time.  :) 

Real High Fidelity........
or forget it.
pimpincavy 
Silver - Posts: 880
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2004 at 11:23 AM / IP Logged  
Just for a comparison I listened to November Rain by Guns N Roses in 128kbps mp3 format, and the cd version. I listened to both of these on my computer, which has fairly cheap speakers. The difference was like night and day, everything about the cd version sounded better, from the vocals, guitars, background music, everything.
I listen to MP3s quite often in my car because of the convenience, and because I download most of my music, so it is on mp3 format anyways. I always try to download the highest quality version (usually 192 is the highest to be found) and encode everything else to 256. I can’t usually tell much of a difference in rap, but rock songs usually have a more noticeable difference.
As far as records go, I have never even used a record player. My parents have hundreds of albums, but rarely play them. Isn’t it true that vinyl on has better sound when the album is brand new? Don’t the records start sounding bad after they get worn out, scratched, dusty, dirty, etc.? But then again you can’t use a record player in a car, so i suppose it is a moot point.
Xracerx 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2004 at 6:55 PM / IP Logged  
No need to put a record in your car. record the record to a CD. You will need a Sound Card that can record the Vinyl to keep all the sound quality. At least the Album has the sound to start with. One thing about CD's they never had it to start with.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic