icon

New Amp

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mcraygsx 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2004 at 3:17 AM / IP Logged  

Hi everyone , I just installed a new SONY Cd Reciever in my Eclipse RS. It was very easy to install it.

TOday i m going to buy a new Amplifier, I dunno much about AMPs and was confused weather do i need seperate AMP for all 4(front and back) speakers and 1for (2 Subs in BOX) Sub woofers  OR  is there an AMP that can Run all 4 speakers & subwoofer at same time?

DO i need 2 amps and just 1 ?

I m confused plz advice about AMPs.

bullman96 
Silver - Posts: 294
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2004 at 3:39 AM / IP Logged  
what do you have for doorspeaks and subs?  you can do a few things here, power your doors with the deck and an amp for the sub(wouldnt suggest it), get a 5 channel amp is the subs dont need all that much power, get a 4 channel amp for the doors and an amp for the sub.  i would suggest the last one but it does depend on the subs rms rating
/r7 
Silver - Posts: 340
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2004 at 8:23 AM / IP Logged  
although i have a 5channel amp, (4front/back 1sub), i think you'd be better off with a 2 amp setup, for the simple reason you wont be limited to how much power you want to push when you find the sub you want. you may also find something smaller and less bulkier.
'another' reason is that the 5channel amps i've seen are Class A/B, and a Class D amp would have more efficencey.
Unless you are specifically going for SQ, then Class D should be fine for any setup you wish to go with (beit SQ or SPL)
GL and let us know what you choose/chose
uthinkuknoaudio 
Silver - Posts: 760
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2004 at 9:33 AM / IP Logged  
It would be a lot more expensive, bearing that two amps would draw extra current from your electrical system, which might make you need to get a high output alternator (That is for the 2 amp setup). One 5 channel should be sufficient if it is not a high powered system. Let us know what speakers and their specs are and we'll tell you which is right.
"I don't play games. I play Nakamichi and that for real yo" - Probably some japanese kid said this in the early 80's trying to sell stereo out of his trunk lol.
porteeab 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2004 at 9:41 PM / IP Logged  
I recently asked myself weather or not to go down the multiamp path or go with a 5/6 channel amp.
Being new at installing, understanding the possibility of potentially over taxing my car's charging system, and being on a budget....
I decided to go with the Infinity 5760a. It's a 6 channel job which may be what you are looking for. It powers my components and 6x9s nicely. The sub I have could probably handle twice the RMS, but it sounds great at 250w.
There are pros to using a single amp, and certainly cons.
Pros: Easier install, cheaper install, overall less complexity for novices, potential space savings, price?
Cons: Upgrades may prove difficult to incorporate the multichannel amp, probably going to settle for less wattage overall, selection is not great for 5/6 channel amps
The short answer to your question... no, you don't need two amps.
4 cylinders and two tires
/r7 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2004 at 2:55 AM / IP Logged  
i beg to differ on the selection of 5/6 amps, there are many good ones, and i'd like to think my SSTR800/5 is fairly decent.
but at 24"x12"x11" it takes up its share of room, i think 2 of my brothers RF 900watt amps would have less area taken up.
the brax HXA 500 MKII looks nice as well
Kicker has a 5 channel amp, that offers more power than mine doesnt look half bad too me at all, it also looks like its a class A/B /D hybrid 4channels class A/B and a class D sub channel. it does have higher THD ratings than the previous amps,
and...
phoenix Gold has their
OCTANE-R 9.0:5
they may not be the best, but the brands that came to mind were those and i would think any one of those brands would offer an efficent amount of power for a 5channel setup.
hope that helps
mcraygsx 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2004 at 4:15 AM / IP Logged  

I want to Use my AMp for my all 4 speakers so, how many Cannel AMp will do the job ?

/r7 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2004 at 8:18 AM / IP Logged  
a 1 channel class D amp. any of the brands i've listed above will make an amp to help you for your purpose, i'd look @ SS, Brax (or also a Helix, same website as the brax)
should be good.
theres alot of good class D amps, so you shouldnt have problems matching the RMS to what you want to power your subs with. if you find a couple models we can help you eliminate one or the other. hth
porteeab 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2004 at 11:00 AM / IP Logged  
Yes, I understand everyone and their mother makes a 5/6 channel amp. But most are less than 60 wrms per channel and around 200-250 wrms for a sub (4ohm). If you are looking for more than this, as I was, you mite agree that selection is limited.
Wonder why PG posts the max output on it's site. You did look at the manual didn't you? I didn't bother to look up the others you mentioned, sorry, the links aren't working in Opera.
Anyways, I should have explained that beyond a certain power range, they are hard to find. There are always exceptions..... and they usually are too rich for my blood.
Back to mcraygsx's question, do you want to power your 4 incar speakers and a sub? Or just the incar's. Either way I don't know how far 1 channel amp will get you, even if it is Class D ;)
If you plan to power all your speakers, without a sub than a 4 channel amp would be the most common solution. If you want to power a sub as well, with the same amp then you should look for a 5/6 channel job. If you want to use multiple amps then there about a thousand alternatives open to you. Hope this helps.
4 cylinders and two tires
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2004 at 11:15 AM / IP Logged  
Best sounding 5-channel amp available, IMO, is the original 5-channel amp, the  Memphis Belle.
Support the12volt.com
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic