icon

Different sized subs for different sounds

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
meef 
Member - Posts: 44
Member spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2004 at 12:25 PM / IP Logged  
so i was thinking...could you run like a pair of 10's for your higher frequencies and a pair of 12's to cover your deeper low bass for a much better sound? or am i just on crack?
/r7 
Silver - Posts: 340
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2004 at 12:37 PM / IP Logged  
your better off to go with a set of either, i've read stories but i cant tell you 'why', i never can remember the technicals reguarding why it wont be a great idea, if you want higher freqs, look at some mid bass 8's for in the car, to run with a component set, but as a bass application i would suggest sticking with 2 of 1 kind and not to stray off that. it may be possible, but its probably tricky.
BTW, 10's can hit low, im sure you could find 2 10's that would make you wander if they really are 10's.
RE, Adire, DD, Eclipse, i dont know whoelse to name, but if you go with any of those brands im sure you'll be satisfied with a 10, or 12, i mean you'll get a really good quality sub and you wont need to go through the process of adding more subs to cover different ranges.
meef 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2004 at 12:41 PM / IP Logged  
eh, i was just wondering. not wanting to be the one who actually tries it out...was just kinda lookin for an explaination on why itd be a bad idea, as ive heard the same thing but without a reason
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2004 at 8:34 PM / IP Logged  
Your just on crack...sorry no offence, there are numerous posts about this, stay away from using diffrent size subs in the same vehicle
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
meef 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2004 at 8:45 PM / IP Logged  
well..could you possibly link me to those posts or give a reason here? i tried a search but i couldnt come up with anything.
AJRXtreme 
Silver - Posts: 302
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2004 at 9:11 PM / IP Logged  
I have 2 mclass 10 inch memphis's and they hit pretty well for 10's. Mclass and M3 models i recomend from memphis.
03 F150 on 24's
HU:Pioneer DVD5700
Frt:MC57
Subs:(12)S12L7
Amps:(3)KX2500.1's, MC-2004
/r7 
Silver - Posts: 340
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2004 at 11:07 PM / IP Logged  
he wasnt needing recommendation, which im sorry i didnt clearly explain myself to you in the first place.
i could be wrong, but i believe matching different speakers in one setup, only produces either
think of it this way.
your subs a 10" and it produces a frequency range from 40hz - 250hz (i could be way off), ample enough range to give you bass as low as you can hear.
now a 12" sub will do the same thing. maybe get a little lower, and not beable to hit a crisp high note as the 10 would... so matching those 2 subs up would be a waste of a subs potential, because you want it to not play what it was designed to beable to do.
i know this was another retarded explination, and i hope someone does a better job than i, but i hope it gives some half-ass insight into why its not a good idea.
boxmaker85 
Silver - Posts: 433
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2004 at 11:38 PM / IP Logged  

Na not much simpler than that /r7.  A human ear can hear down to 40 hz at the lowest.  Below that you can feel the "sound" and tell w/ other sound made by other things (gives them a static sound).  But yeah a 10" sub w/ a good amp will do fine.  I'm not sure why some people are insistant on 12" subs are soooo much better then 10" but I'm just happy-dorry w/ my 10".  Plays plenty low and plenty loud.  If I want more sound then I add another 10".  Oh ps the 10" also take up less cu ft for volume.  Just my $.02

And /r7 40-250 hz is actully what a good 10" sub plays around good guessing

kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2004 at 12:19 AM / IP Logged  
My feeling:
You CAN do this. It probably won't sound too bad.
The more appropriate question, is WHY?
All woofers out there can pretty much handle to the xo frequency 60-100hz equally. You can hit the very lowest audible octaves with 12-15" woofers. So what do you have to gain using different driver sizes? Why not just use 1 or 2 12 or 15" drivers of the same size?
If what you're after is some good strong midbass to match your largest low driver, use a good 8" midbass up front in the doors from ~70-300hz. Then cross a 12 or 15 over at 70hz. Seal the box and feed it some serious power. This would be much more worthwhile.
To sum, try it if you have extra drivers laying around or want to see how it looks or whatever... but there isn't a good sound quality reason for it.
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2004 at 4:28 AM / IP Logged  
Here is one of the above mentioned conversations, and here is another.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic