icon

Bizzare, to say the least.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
pimpincavy 
Silver - Posts: 880
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2004 at 11:57 AM / IP Logged  
There is something very strange going on with the amps in my friends car, ill try to tell this story the clearest way possible, hopefully it wont be to confusing.
It started when my friend took his sytem out of the lincoln to put it in his winter car. Well, turns out the tranny was screwed on the winter car, so he put the linclon back on the road, and put the system back in.
After the install was finished there was some horrible alternator whine coming through the speakers, I suggested re grounding the amps. He has a kenwood amp for his subs and a little 100W for his speakers, both use the same ground wire. No matter where we grounded it, the whine would continue. Then we noticed that when we had the ground from the 100W unhooked the amp would still work fine...with no ground wire connected, and the whien went away almost entirely!! But it gets weirder. When the 100W is not grounded all the controls will control the kenwood amp. If you turn up the gain, bass boost, etc. on the 100W amp, it will control the subs. How is this possible??
The RCAs are dasiy chained, and the same power and ground wire are being used for both amps, but I cant see how that would effet anything.
The 100W amp is make by Cummings, which makes tools, in fact my friend got it at a tool show for $10. Its a tiny amp.
Can anyone shed any light on this situation??
/r7 
Silver - Posts: 340
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2004 at 12:07 PM / IP Logged  
are RCA's bi-directional? maybe switch which amp recieves the RCA's first. or instead of daisy chaining, buy a set of Y splitters unless thats essentially what your doing now.
the power and ground shouldnt be affecting what the 100w is doing to the other amp
are you running the ground right to the battery? that would be my suggestion, i gained a lot more volume out of my speakers doing that, and the noise was cut down a slightly (sh*tty deck, always has noise -_-)
if his deck has 2 preouts (front/rear) hook 1 amp to the front set, and 1 amp to the rears, for the sub(s). eliminates daisey chaining. but you will have to use a Y splitter if the one amp is a 4channel for his in-car
spl-Hz 
Copper - Posts: 94
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2004 at 12:29 PM / IP Logged  

or you could eliminate the small amp and use radio power if it's a decent deck.

Just my suggestion.

bumpingjeep 
Copper - Posts: 149
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2004 at 1:06 PM / IP Logged  
wait a tick...there is no way that your interior amp should be working without the ground connected...sounds like it might be grounding out through the rcas...might wanna check into those rcas
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2004 at 1:21 PM / IP Logged  

bumpingjeep wrote:
wait a tick...there is no way that your interior amp should be working without the ground connected...sounds like it might be grounding out through the rcas...might wanna check into those rcas

Exactly.  See if any are damaged.

Support the12volt.com
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2004 at 1:52 PM / IP Logged  
Also if the amp is screwed down to metal, and it has a defect it could be grounding through the chasis
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
azidrane 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2004 at 7:57 PM / IP Logged  
I was just going to say that. I bet its grounding via the chassis. I bet the whole inside of that amp is toasted so the way its dasiy chaining is coming out all wrong.
pimpincavy 
Silver - Posts: 880
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2004 at 8:30 PM / IP Logged  
Its not screwed down, but chances are its the RCAs, in the next few days me and my friend will switch some stuff up and see how it works.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic