icon

Anything 2 beat a brahma?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
warpedhalo 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: December 02, 2004 at 7:49 PM / IP Logged  
I'm thinking about getting a couple brahma 15s, or possibly more speakers to match the displacement they have. Like... 29 mm brahma excursion and 15" cone would equal like 5 12s doing like 16 mm or so. You know what I mean? BUT I only have 10 cubic feet or so, and 2 15s'd be "happier" with that much space than 5 12s, you know? So, basically, I'm looking for a setup that will beat 2 15" brahmas and only be about teh same power handling. I know 2 xxxs would, but tehy are not nearly as efficient as a brahma. If anyone knows about them... do they get noticeably louder anyway? I was looking to running about 1500 rms to each. Well, 2 hifonics brutus amps. Brahmas'd get loud with those, but is there anything better out there? I wanna do it right this time for sure! Immortals don't play low :(. Please let me knw. Thanks...
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 02, 2004 at 8:24 PM / IP Logged  

Well the Brahma and XXX both have the advantage of our XBL^2 motor.  This means that they will have very low distortion up to it's linear limits.  If you are looking to get loudest at one frequency (SPL competition) then there are definitely better subs out there.  But from an SQL standpoint, IMO they are the best on the market only matched by the W7.

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

warpedhalo 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: December 02, 2004 at 8:45 PM / IP Logged  

Well, i got immortals now, which are supposed to be spl-tuned kind of speakers. Kinda like strokers and stuff. I'm looking for something to play "Get Low" well when it drops to the 30 hz, you know? My subs simply get weak! W7s are EXPENSIVE and I am looking for something like "4 tempests will beat 2 brahmas" or something, but I dno not have room for tempests... you know. So they'd basically have to have a HUGE x-max and like no vas at all, lol. And a low bl and so on and so on... But is there anything to beat the, or are these the best? There's always something better thatn the best, so i'm tryng to find it before I spend the cash, you know. So, anyway... are the xxx really taht much louder? Is it worth the inefficiency? Brahmas'll hit 29mm with like 900 watts or something, as where an xxx won't, but will the xxx's 32 mm vs the brahmas 29mm make up for it? I do not have experiance with either sub... the best sub I've seen and delt with are my Audiobahn 2003 Immortals. Tehy are supposed to have a 29 mm x-max, but even if they did (which i doubt they do) the bl is like 10000000 on them or something, because they die on the lows, lol!

boxmaker85 
Silver - Posts: 433
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 02, 2004 at 8:47 PM / IP Logged  

I was bout to say the same thing steven.  w7 is probably the next best competition.  Also look into MTX 9500.  Good sub too.  But JL's problem comes the price.  Great speaker (my favorite sub I've ever heard IMO) but a big tag on it.

uthinkuknoaudio 
Silver - Posts: 760
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 03, 2004 at 5:41 PM / IP Logged  
Try the Treo CSX, but you might need more power. www.treoonline.com

"I don't play games. I play Nakamichi and that for real yo" - Probably some japanese kid said this in the early 80's trying to sell stereo out of his trunk lol.
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 03, 2004 at 8:46 PM / IP Logged  
warpedhalo wrote:

Well, i got immortals now, which are supposed to be spl-tuned kind of speakers. Kinda like strokers and stuff. I'm looking for something to play "Get Low" well when it drops to the 30 hz, you know? My subs simply get weak! W7s are EXPENSIVE and I am looking for something like "4 tempests will beat 2 brahmas" or something, but I dno not have room for tempests... you know. So they'd basically have to have a HUGE x-max and like no vas at all, lol. And a low bl and so on and so on... But is there anything to beat the, or are these the best? There's always something better thatn the best, so i'm tryng to find it before I spend the cash, you know. So, anyway... are the xxx really taht much louder? Is it worth the inefficiency? Brahmas'll hit 29mm with like 900 watts or something, as where an xxx won't, but will the xxx's 32 mm vs the brahmas 29mm make up for it? I do not have experiance with either sub... the best sub I've seen and delt with are my Audiobahn 2003 Immortals. Tehy are supposed to have a 29 mm x-max, but even if they did (which i doubt they do) the bl is like 10000000 on them or something, because they die on the lows, lol!

A few comments.

I think you may be paying way too much attention to the excursion numbers.  Way too much.  Frankly, as long as they're in the same ballpark I wouldn't even look at them when coming down to making a buying decision.  Instead look at efficiency, evaluate the driver parameters against your preferred application in a program like WinISD, and try to find some sort of THD information.  Evaluate these against your pocketbook... repeat. 

Also, I think you may misunderstand BL.  A high BL does not mean that a speaker will not be able to produce low frequencies.  As I understand it, BL is the amount of motor force given x amount of current.  It is just one of the physical parameters of the driver that has an effect on efficiency and relative overall strength of the driver.  In my opinion it seems like a mistake to place much importance on the magnitude of BL when making buying decisions.  Now, as I understand it FLAT BL is important (hence the XBL^2 technology), but I'm not sure I'd care at all about small differences in total BL between drivers. 

Anyway, if you're going to start looking at these parameters then I think you need to consider them as a whole.  Use a program like WinISD or any of the other various box modeling programs to help you. 

This is my limited understand of the situation, pros, please correct me if I'm wrong.

New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
/r7 
Silver - Posts: 340
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 04, 2004 at 12:38 AM / IP Logged  
any interest in a Eclipse 9100Pro series?
with an 15 you would have no trouble hitting lows. but you would not be powering 1/2 of its RMS with 900watts. i dont know if it requires alot of power (unlike, the brahmas) to get it really loud, but im going to say it does require alot (correct me if im wrong anyone), so it may not be your best option. just a thought though.
oh and they have an 18", you'd beable to fit one sub in their safely, not sure about 2 though.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic