icon

Components Ohms?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
eeh1025 
Copper - Posts: 113
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 07, 2004 at 12:46 PM / IP Logged  
Hey Guy are all compnets 4 ohms, is there any way to change them to 2ohms?
Asmodeus 
Silver - Posts: 393
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 07, 2004 at 12:53 PM / IP Logged  
Most are 4 ohm.....The only way you can get 2 ohm would be to wire 2 sets in parallel....Why do you want 2 ohm just so I know....
Components Ohms? -- posted image.
Making the World A Louder Place
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 07, 2004 at 12:57 PM / IP Logged  
1) Most are 4-ohms.
2) There's no way to change it to 2-ohms that does what you want it to - increase the power to the speaker.
3) Even if you could, there's no real reason to do this anyway. Even if you "only" have 50w going to a pair of components they will get plenty loud. Assuming the jump to 2-ohms would actually double the power, which is doubtful, you'd only be at 100w. Doubling amplifier power gives a 3db increase in SPL. 3db is audible, but is a rather small increase in volume.
If you are clipping your amp or find you simple need more power, again doubtful, then buy a new amplifier.
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
kklagge 
Member - Posts: 41
Member spacespace
Posted: December 07, 2004 at 1:01 PM / IP Logged  
Image Dynamics makes a 2ohm set (the chameleons come in either 2 or 4 ohm)
eeh1025 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 07, 2004 at 1:40 PM / IP Logged  
One more question, I have a set of Infinty kappa 6x9 3ways and a 3 1/2 set of speakers, how much should i run to each and what is the min i can run to each of them.
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 07, 2004 at 1:44 PM / IP Logged  
Lets turn that question around. What kind of amplifier do you currently have?
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
/r7 
Silver - Posts: 340
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 07, 2004 at 3:08 PM / IP Logged  
your asking a questions we cant answer
if you gave us model #'s and or even the specs to the speakers that would make it much easier to tell you, how much is too much.
and the minimum you can run them with is 1watt
BE MORE SPECIFIC.
eeh1025 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 07, 2004 at 6:56 PM / IP Logged  
Sorry guys
these are the speakers im running right now
I have a Fosgate punch amp its the 150s model, its a 2 channel amp, I was got to chose a 4 ch but i like to control front to back im not worried about side to side. do you think this amp is plenty good enough for these speakers?
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-X3F6lwclLrK/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=51100&I=108325CF
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-X3F6lwclLrK/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=52300&I=1086935I
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 07, 2004 at 7:30 PM / IP Logged  

That amp must be discontinued, there is no reference to it at the Rockford site.  I don't know it's power output.  You have 3.5's at 35 watts, and 6.9's at 110 watts.  Both have what look to be good crossovers (but how in the world do they make them so small?).  The power needs to go to the larger ones, of course, but they're probably in the rear deck, right?  You need to maintain stereo separation, so connecting left to right is out.  That would mean connecting front and rears, but the Rms is vastly different.  So...

Considering everything, I would run those speakers at no lower than 4 ohms.  Which means don't parallel any of those speakers together.  That means either get another 2 channel amp, or trade for a 4 channel.  And the most volume, most power, should go to the front of the vehicle for proper staging (presence of the music).

But an alternative is to run the 3.5's off the head unit power, but install them in the rear.  And move the bigger ones up front and run them normally off your amp.

eeh1025 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 07, 2004 at 8:33 PM / IP Logged  
So what you are saying is use the amp for the 6x9s and run the 3.5s on the head unit correct, Also i have a mrv-f250 just laying around should i use that?
thanks 
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic