icon

AVIC-N1 Speed Sensor wire/04 saturn ion

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
thundercat2k 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: December 09, 2004 at 12:35 AM / IP Logged  
I just got the AVIC-N1 unit, and I would like to finish hooking it up , can anyone tell me where the speed sensor wire is located , and what color it would be in the 04 Saturn ION.  thank you very much.  THat is the last wire i need to get it all hooked up completly. thank you very much. 
thundercat2k 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: December 13, 2004 at 8:18 PM / IP Logged  
I really need this info guys anyone. 
duanejen 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2005 at 8:17 AM / IP Logged  
Did you have any luck finding that wire?  I have an '02 Vue and I called Saturn and they wouldn't give it to me.  I have access to Mitchell on Demand diagnostics software and it showed that there was a VSS on each wheel.  I assume this is because the Vue is AWD.  I spliced into one of those wires but it still does not appear to be working correctly.
the1alchemist 
Copper - Posts: 65
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2005 at 11:08 PM / IP Logged  
the voltages @ the ss's @ the wheels probably does't provide enough voltage change for the nav, I would suggest using something like a snap-on vantage,or a fluke graphing MM ,jack up the front end(please use some sort of safety/supporting device after you jack;not to mention the stuff moving under the hood ,and while testing watch the tires!!)even w/o a graphing mm,you can use a regular mm,just use a/c voltage,or/in addition use a frequency setting..look for the highest a/c voltage producing wire who's frequency directly relates to your indicated speed..
This is a very rough guide ,but as a rule w/o the proper testing equipment ,I usually suggest hooking up to all the wires on the ss(i hope you at least know where it is,SOMEONE should be willing to show you) USUALLY they only have 3 wires,carefully tap into all 3 wires,(be SURE to seal these connections carefully(like ANY splice into factory under-hood wire),a little corrosion will not only render your speedo useless,but void any chance of warranty of the problem.)run your ss wire out under the hood,hook up to one of the wires at a time,use the connection screen(you know the one,it tells you how many sats you are receiving ,reverse ,parking brake,lights...)and run around the block..try all 3(or however many..) b4 you choose ...a couple might work,chop the others,again.. SEAL the ends!
dont worry about blowing anything up,unless you choose to splice into an ign coil pri/sec wire!
the navi is no more than a REALLY expensive high resistance mm..
I can't stress enough how worth-it a snap-on vantage is, if only for this purpose ,and also tach wires!! If you have been doing this half as long as i have you KNOW NO-ONES wiring guides are to be trusted without testing ALWAYS ..(i think all of them say something to that effect in those pages of disclaimers none of us read..try it once,but don't let them scare you,just use common ELECTRICAL sence....GOOD LUCK !!.
pm me for more specific help,or call me during business hours..10-5 EST ,mon-sat..I helped one of you guys with a corrolla..
where is 'local' for you? if it's only an hour or two away,rest assured I will make it worth YOUR while..NO PROBLEM ..K.I.T.(if you still need to)
hope this helped b4 you got boared by my babbling..!
'Stereo' Mike
The Audio CARtist,LLC
9600 Balt. Ave.
College Park,MD 20740
301-474-6260
the1alchemist 
Copper - Posts: 65
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2005 at 11:23 PM / IP Logged  
I guess I should have specified look on the tranny for that vss...like i said,pm me,18 years doing this gives me alot of friends in many biz's..don't forget what a $20 can do for you at most dealerships..I've spent 100's getting access to info this way..don't always expect absolute answers,just info to use on your quest..
now i am guessing that there IS a vss on the tranny,eventually i see them just using the wheel ss's and getting speedo info from only them..
Some Fords,for instance,can have a broken vss,and the speedo still works because of the abs sensors..
In case you don't have enough to worry about!
Good luck again..
'Stereo' Mike
The Audio CARtist,LLC
9600 Balt. Ave.
College Park,MD 20740
301-474-6260
Wayneman 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2005 at 12:56 AM / IP Logged  

I don't know if this is going to help. Please be sure to check with a MM before you make your connections. If you are going to check this in motion, use the jack stands for safety and have someone standing by just to be safe. Good luck.

VSS Wire: LOCATION 14- ECM POSITION 50, IF NO WIRE IN POSITION 50 MUST USE MAGNET PACKAGE 250-4165 FOR SIGNAL

VSS Wire Color: VIOLET
VSS Pulse: 10,000 , MAGNET 2000 SINE WAVE INPUT
VSS Tach Wire: IF MANUAL TRANSMISSION USE CLUTCH SWITCH 250-4206
Tach Signal Wire Color: WHITE
Brake Switch Positive: ORANGE
Brake Switch Negative: WHITE

Hope it helps,

Wayne

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic