icon

New 98 Mazda Millenia, lots of wiring ?'s

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
lecatpuke 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: December 09, 2004 at 12:18 PM / IP Logged  

I recently bought a '98 Mazda Millenia L from a reputable used car dealership.  It only came with a valet key, and I was informed it might have keyless entry.  I've been searching for some general wiring help online, and I haven't had much success.  I'm relatively inexperienced when it comes to wiring, but I was trying to figure out if I had a keyless entry "box" behind my back seat today.  I realized there are too many wires for me to identify.  It also looks like the dealership went through hell trying to disconnect an aftermarket alarm system they could tell me nothing about.  Maybe you can help me identify anything for keyless entry, and/or how my aftermarket alarm works?  Here's a bunch of pictures:

Let's start with the back seat.  I was looking for the keyless box, but I didn't spy an antenna.  Here's what I saw:

New 98 Mazda Millenia, lots of wiring ?'s -- posted image.

Nothing obviously visible except these two terminals... the passenger side:

and the driver side:

Does any of that apply to keyless, or are those for my speakers?  Speaking of those, I found these wires on the roof of my trunk:

Moving onto the biggest wiring mess, the underside of the steering column.  My size 12's manage to catch a few wires most every time my foot goes down there.  Note that these pictures are taken at different angles, so they really don't hang down TOO much, but they certainly hang down:

That terminal in the back has a blue wire pulled out of it...

and there was this clear box with a blue wire in it ziptied to something (sorry, it's fuzzy):

While I was down there I snapped a shot of my mysterious aftermarket alarm (notice a couple of snipped black wires):

My brother discovered my alarm's speaker tucked in front of the fuse box:

Then I discovered that those wires were cut also.. a phillips helped remove the disconnected speaker, but the sticker on the back was too eroded to be read:

And a shot of the engine for good measure:

So what's to be made of all this?  Any idea what any of this stuff is?  Perhaps I should just start connecting bare ends together with the car running?  Perhaps a wiring diagram would help, if I could read one.  I'm hopeless.

hagmanti 
Silver - Posts: 304
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 09, 2004 at 1:47 PM / IP Logged  
Follow the wires back from that relay (what you're calling a terminal w/ a blue wire broken in it) and/or the clear box (which is most probably a shock sensor. You'll find a larger black box-- the brain of the alarm, and then someone here can probably tell you what you had in there at one time.
However, this installation is clearly fried. If you brought this car to my shop, I would refuse to do anything except (if it was a slow day) rip out the old alarm while putting in a new one. Even then, I'd charge extra if I saw those broken wires before I started. :)
IMHO, that's what you should do. You have no idea what kind of condition the rest of the wires are in, but do know that some of them are in very poor condition. This is a very good time to cut your losses and start from scratch. Remember also that even if you manage to get it working perfectly, you still have to buy new remotes, which aren't necessarily cheap...
I'd be willing to put $.50 on it being some part of the DEI umbrella of alarms, just based on the clear shock sensor and the ribbon cable visible in one of those pictures.
Me
gfella2000 
Member - Posts: 28
Member spacespace
Posted: December 09, 2004 at 1:47 PM / IP Logged  
Judging from the pictures your car has a aftermarket dei remote start system. It could be a valet or viper alarm system but the only way to know for sure is by dropping down the "brain" of the alarm system to see the model number.
gfella 20000000000
lecatpuke 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 09, 2004 at 1:53 PM / IP Logged  
Very good ideas... thank you, I'll go do that and report back any brands/model #/anything I can find off of what those things are connected to.  I did take a picture of a black box, but it was too fuzzy... I'll go check it out again.
lecatpuke 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 09, 2004 at 8:09 PM / IP Logged  

I did some digging around, and it is a huge mess under my dash.  The clear box is indeed a shock sensor, specifically a Stinger Doubleguard Shock Sensor (by DEI).  I can see the black box tucked up underneath my dash, and it's very difficult to get to, so I wasn't able to get any valuable information from it.  Are there any other typical things I should look for in a DEI system, i.e. remote start, etc... and how can I tell what specifically has been cut to disable functionality?

Thanks for the help... this was definitely the right place to come.

hagmanti 
Silver - Posts: 304
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 09, 2004 at 11:08 PM / IP Logged  
Let me say again-- I wouldn't leave that in your car. It doesn't look to me like things were cut, it looks like wires were torn. That thing is wired into many of your car's most important wires. Either stop messing around w/ it (and hope for the best), or get it out of there completely-- preferably having someone who knows their way around an ignition harness doing it...
To answer your question-- I've been installing these for awhile, and know the wire colors by heart. Even so, when I'm fishing an old alarm out, I triple check as I go (to make sure that the prev. installer didn't do something non-standard). There are many many many ways that an installation that is as messy as that one is could have hidden issues. The only way to tell for sure what has been cut is to meter the wires, one at a time. I don't think it's worth the time and effort it would require to salvage an old alarm/RS, and I'm the biggest packrat I know...
FWIW,
Me

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic