icon

occasionally no sound

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
harvey1959 
Copper - Posts: 94
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2004 at 2:35 AM / IP Logged  
I have an old jvc hu in my wife's 98 Windstar. It is a casette deck with cd changer controls. Now and then when the radio is on the sound will go off.  Maybe 15 to 20 seconds later it will come back on.  Or you turn on the radio and the display powers up but there is no sound.  Then the sound will come on after a while.  This used to happen in my 90 Toyota with this radio. Other times it will play for hours at a time with no problem.   Any ideas?   Thanks 
Harv
wheelerdr 
Copper - Posts: 337
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2004 at 2:42 AM / IP Logged  
I would try looking at your ground wire and see if it is loose, nd then look at your speaker wires make sure they are not touching eachother or any metal. make sure all connections are nice, tight and clean.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2004 at 8:31 AM / IP Logged  
Sounds like a heat-related problem to me.  It's probably time to replace that head unit.
Support the12volt.com
mbergwin 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2004 at 9:30 PM / IP Logged  

i agree with bolh posters, thay give valade reasons that could be corect. just giving u my input.

-Bergwin

Rleimbach 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2004 at 10:20 PM / IP Logged  

My guess would be that a speaker wire could be touching the speaker basket or just a loose ground... that will switch the stereo off and then a built in protection circuit will provide a delay upon power up ... Does it happen when you are listening to it louder.....Just a thought

RLeimbach

Rleimbach
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2004 at 10:44 PM / IP Logged  
Sound like a problem with the radio, , highly unlikely you will have the exact same problem in both vehicles if it were something other than the hu.   Time to update to a new unit.
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
harvey1959 
Copper - Posts: 94
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2004 at 1:30 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks guys,  There's no problems with the speaker wiring.  The factory radio works with no problems.  It just didn't have a cd player.  I agree with it being a heat problem.  Then again when I took it out of the car yesterday to re-set the latch that holds the removable face plate, I put it back in the van, turned it on and the sound didn't come on for about  10 seconds.  Anyway I got this radio and the changer that goes with it @1996.  The 12 disk changer works fine.  I was hoping it would be something simple to fix.  I had forgot this raido had that problem when I put it in my wife's van.  JVC wants 140.00  US to buy an adapter that allows the changer to be used with another radio.
Harv
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2004 at 2:17 PM / IP Logged  
If the unit works fine on tape or cd and only has a problem with the tuner, then there infact is a problem internally with the tuner module. It may have a cold solder joint on one of the circuits. IT may be an easy repair job at a service shop.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic