icon

best HU for under $200?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Xplorer 
Copper - Posts: 69
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2004 at 8:44 PM / IP Logged  

Based on your experiences what brand or specific head unit (@ least CD AM FM) is best? Power, skip protection, quality, appearance, and yes price are important. Keep it under $200 and be specific please. Everyone is invited to post just state your reasoning.

Thanx

Peace
mbergwin 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2004 at 9:10 PM / IP Logged  

i think that any LANZAR product will blow u away... and the price it great to

-Bergwin

kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2004 at 9:52 PM / IP Logged  
Try this Alpine instead: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Q47BCi29ASd/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=300&I=500CDA9825
Alpine quality is regarded as MUCH higher than Lanzar.
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
Xplorer 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2004 at 10:02 PM / IP Logged  
Yea...i know. Very nice choice with Alpine. Do your CD's ever skip (if you hit a pot hole or something)?
Peace
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2004 at 10:17 PM / IP Logged  
They never skip in my Eclipse.  Most decent head units won't skip much these days.
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
Xplorer 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2004 at 10:45 PM / IP Logged  
Cool...sounds good.
Peace
audiobass10 
Silver - Posts: 328
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2004 at 10:54 PM / IP Logged  

Pioneer DEH-6500..Awesome head unit. I absolutely loved it. Great looking display, easy to use, good sq...all around great unit in my opinion. This can be had on ebay for $135 on buy it now for the refurbs. Definitely look into it. You wont be disapointed.

Dave
Pioneer Premier DEH-P660
15" Kicker CVR
Profile AP1000M
It's Loud
Xplorer 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2004 at 10:56 PM / IP Logged  

another good choice ... thanx for the tip

Peace
thapimpfromchi 
Silver - Posts: 616
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2004 at 12:57 PM / IP Logged  
Hey man, I've got a Clarion DXZ545MP. Nice head unit, tons of features. AM/FM/CD/MP3/WMA  Aux Input, front & rear/sub output, 2 zone output. Nice face (clean) Sounds great, but distorts a little at full blast. only skipped once, cuz i threw something at it on accident. They go for around 150 I believe. Thats the most features I have ever found for such a low price.
1990 Honda Civic HB:
Clarion DXZ545MP H.U.
2- 6.5" Power Acoustik interiors
Diamond Audio 600.1 amp
Diamond Audio 15" M6MKII
Pyramid PB881X 4 CH. Amp
dedlyjedly 
Copper - Posts: 94
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2004 at 3:21 PM / IP Logged  

yeah, that clarion packe a lot of punch for the scrilla, but....

all the major manufacturers make "stripped down" models like the ones typically in your price range. after years of experience i have found that most customers will dramatically increase their satisfaction in the end result of a new system by carefully analyzing the benefit to cost ratio and spending just a little more, sometimes $20 makes all the difference in the world.  that said, i will make my recommendation of the kenwood excelon kdcx579!  this units got a lot of pluses like the clarion (three preouts w/ sub control, high pass and low pass crossovers) but also adds the sound quality of a 24 bit burrbrown DAC. thats the processor that takes the digital info from the disc and converts it to analog music we can hear.  you wont get the auxilliary input, but if this feature interests you, you could add the kenwood ca1aux adapter ($20) to create an  input from the changer control of the unit.  youll spend a few bucks more @ $239.99 MSRP from a dealer, or prob get a lower price on ebay.  but the difference tin that price is worth 40 or 50 bucks easy for all the service youll get from the dealer over the life of your new toy!

good luck on building up your system

MECP certified, 5yrs experience, you probably otta listen bitch!!
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic