icon

best HU for under $200?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2004 at 5:08 PM / IP Logged  
Why hasn't anyone mentioned Eclipse... Any of their cd players will blow away all of the above mentioned units. I have heard bad things about Clarion's lower end stuff and kenwood in general. Alpine is pretty good but Eclipse is still better, if you don't mind not having as many features as other units. None of Eclipse's units will skip because their resonant frequency is somewhere around 19 hz I think. You might look at the 3404 or 3414 (for a little more). http://www.eclipse-web.com
uthinkuknoaudio 
Silver - Posts: 760
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2004 at 5:23 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah, you find an eclipse hu on ebay for under 200 thats worth a crap... Not happening... U want to spend more than 200, you can't beat a Nakamichi CD400 for $259 on ebay. For 200 or less tho, roll with the alpine. And btw, Nakamichi makes a better HU than Eclipse anyday!!! Remember that! Eclipse makes a good audio product, but Nakamichi is a better product overall.
"I don't play games. I play Nakamichi and that for real yo" - Probably some japanese kid said this in the early 80's trying to sell stereo out of his trunk lol.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2004 at 5:25 PM / IP Logged  
OR, I am very seriously considering selling my Eclipse 8051, and I'll take $200 for it... puts me that much closer to my 8454... and/or my trip to Las Vegas for the CES.
BTW, we ARE ALL very familiar with how much you LOVE Nak, uthink, but it's JUST a handle... it does NOT mean that you DO know audio. Keep an open mind, and listen a little bit to what other people have to say. The guy said he wanted to spend TWO HUNDRED, not 259.
Take a chill pill, man...
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
uthinkuknoaudio 
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2004 at 5:28 PM / IP Logged  
lol, that is very true. I'd sell my butt for a trip to the CES.
"I don't play games. I play Nakamichi and that for real yo" - Probably some japanese kid said this in the early 80's trying to sell stereo out of his trunk lol.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2004 at 6:07 PM / IP Logged  

My choices for an under $200 head would be from Blaupunkt or Alpine.  Look at the Blau Monte Carlo or the Alpine 9825.  Pioneer, Panasonic, Kenwood, Clarion etc. probably just below those two brands.  Steer clear of Sony, Dual, JVC, etc. (someone was serious about Lanzar?  No way.)  Just my opinon.

These are way out of the sub-200 category, but Nakamichi and Eclipse are in the same class, uthink, and I'd have to say Eclipse has the edge with a better CD transport mechanism these days... I believe Nak still has better sounding electronics in the higher-end models, but not when comparing the same price points.  Fujitsu Ten has come a long way towards surpassing Nakamichi, and Nakamichi's bankruptcy in 2002 halted their R&D while Fujitsu rolled on.

Support the12volt.com
uthinkuknoaudio 
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2004 at 6:33 PM / IP Logged  
Maybe in the 200 price range, but no Eclipse HU to my knowledge can breath against the CD700II. Seriously, is there anything that can?
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2004 at 6:58 PM / IP Logged  
No, the 700II is pretty much the top of any line as far as SQ is concerned, but now you're talking about a $2000+ HU, not a $200 one.
Support the12volt.com
Xplorer 
Copper - Posts: 69
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2004 at 7:17 PM / IP Logged  

lol...thanks for all the replies. Everything from Lanzar(lol) to Nakamichi(wow), the personal experiences help.  

p.s. just out of curiosity why are sony, JVC, etc. so bad?

Peace
uthinkuknoaudio 
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2004 at 7:24 PM / IP Logged  
Lol, i know how much the CD700II costs trust me, it was foolish of me to try to save for one, when my taxes came in lol... Sorry haemphyst! I missed the bottom of your post. Leave my screename alone, for god sakes its only for fun. No need for chill pills, jut a need for more sugar! lol... I got an open mind always!!! I just haven't found any Eclipse HU yet to stand up to a Nak thats all! If i wasn't open minded i wouldn't make threads on this site! I love this site and strongly support it!
dedlyjedly 
Copper - Posts: 94
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2004 at 8:11 PM / IP Logged  

damn customsuburb, i didnt know that decks had resonant frequencies, and i sure as hell didnt know that eclilpse's res. freq. was as low as 19hz!!!!wowzerz

anyhow, back to reality. i would just like to say that any customer, installer, or store owner about to make a purchase decision should compare actual models side by side and not brands in general.  you could only gather a vague idea of what your gear would do otherwise

MECP certified, 5yrs experience, you probably otta listen bitch!!
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic