’02 S10 12V when running wire location

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
GregK 
Copper - Posts: 74
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2004 at 3:36 PM / IP Logged  

Hi,

I'm installing some foreign two-way alarm/starter combo in an '02 Chev S10 and the unit doesn't have tach sensing. It wants something that will give 12V when the vehicle is running. I can't seem to locate such a thing anywhere in the truck. The alternator doesn't have a status output by probing it and I can't even get a finger down to the oil pressure sender. Any help appreciated asap!

Greg

Hymer 
Silver - Posts: 695
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2004 at 8:14 PM / IP Logged  
Are you using a voltage sense for determining if the truck is running?. If so just go to any 12v wire, when the vehicle is running the voltage is higher than if it's not. I do this with some deisel trucks...
GregK 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2004 at 9:04 PM / IP Logged  
It's not even a voltage sense wire. The install manual states:
Purple (+) this wire must be 12V when the vehicle is running and show ground when it is not. Use the vehicle's charge light or oil pressure sender wire.
I bluffed it and found that there doesn't have to be a ground when the vehicle isn't running, but 12V on the line with the vehicle stalling will not trigger a restart. If I simply attach the purple wire to the IGN output the vehicle starts fine and runs fine, but should it not start on the firest remote attempt it won't try again because the IGN wire is fooling it into thinking that it's running.
This is very frustrating.
GregK 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2004 at 9:08 PM / IP Logged  
Anybody?
Someone must have come across this problem before?
Hymer 
Silver - Posts: 695
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2004 at 9:53 PM / IP Logged  
Ya got me stumped, the ground must give the RS the ok to give a restart. but 12v when running and ground when not.. what kind of rs is this? I looked through all my software for something to give you those parameters and I got nothing., I don't have a S-10 shop manual either. How many wires are at the back of the alternator? mabey you could go to the alt output, through a relay , and when the vehicle shuts down you can get the relay to rest at ground. that seems to me to be the problem...
Ill keep thinking...
Hymer
rsudbay 
Copper - Posts: 68
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2004 at 9:58 PM / IP Logged  
yeah man, that sucks?????????
hey, everyone has got to start somewhere. but ill learn
GregK 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2004 at 10:15 PM / IP Logged  
It's a 2-way Hua Tai HT-800D that was purchased on ebay.
All google searches turn up is pages in chinese.
I found that it doesn't need the ground signal to start but it does need to see 12V when the vehicle is running. I know this because I can leave the wire disconnected and the truck will attempt to start. If I quickly give the wire 12V when the truck starts it keeps running. If I remove the 12V it attempts to restart.
The alternator has two wires, gray and red. Neither wire probes as positive or negative when the truck is running. Even if I could find something that gives a ground when running I could wire in a relay but I can't even find that.
As stated earlier, I tried tach and voltage sense with no luck. The manual specifically states 12V while running and I've proven that it does indeed need that.
*sigh*
rsudbay 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2004 at 10:30 PM / IP Logged  

alright, i am new at this so if this is just dumb dont talk too much crap about me.

so, here i go. from my gained knowledge of r/s systems you put a relay on the ign wires. that only let 12volts when you have activated the r/s. could you somehow confuse the system. and put that 12volt problem wire you have on one of the ign relays. it would make a big loop in itself, but the way i se it. when you r/s, the relay opens, and as it sends the 12volts to your cars electronics, it can also send 12volts to that relay you are talking about. just a thought. i hope i might of made some sense with all that

GregK 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2004 at 11:35 PM / IP Logged  
That's the way I have it connected right now. The only problem with it is that the r/s system leaves the IGN line at 12V even if the vehicle stalls or doesn't start on the first attempt because it doesn't know it stalled or didn't start. That's usually the job of the tach sensor or voltage sensor (increase from 12V to ~14 volts when running), which this system isn't capable of sensing either one of those.
rsudbay 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 13, 2004 at 10:32 AM / IP Logged  
well man, i dont know what to tell ya, im kinda new at this stuff
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic