icon

’02 S10 12V when running wire location

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
meltingplastic 
Copper - Posts: 225
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 13, 2004 at 2:32 PM / IP Logged  
i got an idea.. tap into the tach with 2 relays.. wire one to put 12 volts to teh wire when it gets voltage from the tach adn the other to ground without voltage basically like this..
relay 1:
86 - tach wire
85 - ground
30 - +12v
37 - 12v when running
relay 2
86 - tach wire
85 - ground
30 - ground
37A - 12v when running...
this way... both relays will click over when 12 volts gets to them...   the only problem i see is you may have to diode isolate each relay to the 12v when running and i would suggest fusing them the first attempt..
give that a shot
Driving a Bagged, Caddied 02 s10
hagmanti 
Silver - Posts: 304
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 13, 2004 at 4:26 PM / IP Logged  
I really doubt you want to put that much load on your tach wire, or flip those relays that quickly...
Me
meltingplastic 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 13, 2004 at 5:11 PM / IP Logged  
ok so then just hook up 1 relay to the tach wire and then the 2 relays off that... its just a suggestion that tech would work
GregK 
Copper - Posts: 74
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 13, 2004 at 5:20 PM / IP Logged  
It doesn't need to see ground, 0V is fine.
So that takes it down to one relay.. But, would that actually work? Ot would the relay attempt to become a buzzer? Would the coil control module in the truck be able to handle the elctrical load of a relay on it without harming the tach output?
hagmanti 
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 13, 2004 at 5:44 PM / IP Logged  
Depending on where else in your car tach goes, and how it gets interpreted (pulse counting or voltage averaging), putting even one relay off the tach wire could throw a check engine light. I've seen it happen from putting an alarm's tach wire on an injector.
Also, the tach wire is sending out 1000s of pulses per minute-- so that relay is going to be flipping 1000s of times per minutes. Given that relays are rated in terms of tens to hundreds of thousands of flips for a lifetime, that means that this relay could be expected to give out in a week or two of driving...
Assuming it can actually flip that fast, which will depend on the particular relay.
Me
GregK 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 13, 2004 at 6:34 PM / IP Logged  
So as I originally thought, not an option. Thank you.
Keep the ideas coming though.. This is very frustrating.
Hymer 
Silver - Posts: 695
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 13, 2004 at 6:51 PM / IP Logged  
What signal does the RS need to reset itself? when that wire sees 0v it does actually it reset itself? This may be a bad idea, but have you poked around the tranny harness at all for this type of signal? sometimes there is a tourqe convertor lockup function that will give you 12v when running..
hagmanti 
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 13, 2004 at 8:13 PM / IP Logged  
Greg-- I think your questions are right on-target, and would recommend you get authoritative answers from a mechanic (or someone who knows relays better than I!!) before proceeding down this path...
I guess you could buy something like this and run it near a coil wire. Gack, what a kludge...
And they make this thing which is getting closer to the mark... Probably pretty expensive though, and a lot of functionality you don't need.
My solid state electronics isn't so good, but there must be some sort of module out there that measures voltage and provides a signal when the voltage is below (or above) some set point. That would be all you'd need (+ some low-current relays).
Me, not very helpful today
GregK 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 13, 2004 at 9:00 PM / IP Logged  
The unit does reset at 0V. That's it's trigger to show that the truck isn't running so it attempts a restart.
As for the trans probe.. It's an idea that I haven't explored. I'll have to talk to a GM mechanic by the sound of it.
As for the links to the solid state devices also posted - Thanks, but if I tell the guy he needs to spend another $100+ US he won't be too happy.
I've never seen a remote start that doesn't have tach or voltage differential sensing. Hopefully I never see one again!
*Note to self - Hua Tai = Don't install.
meltingplastic 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 13, 2004 at 11:02 PM / IP Logged  
heres a link on how to make a voltage meter.. it has an adjustable pot switch to set the voltage... instead of installing an LED just do the 2 relay setup off that...   i would suggest metering it out so u know when it switches... just another thought..
http://www.s10forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111646
i havetn looked at the design all that much but u should be able to alter it so that u can get it to do what u want...
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic