icon

Autostarters in Chrysler products

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
NismaX 
Copper - Posts: 104
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2002 at 7:12 PM / IP Logged  

I have been installing autostarters for a few years now and all of a sudden I seem to be having problems with the Chrysler vehicles.  One instance: My customer has a 2001 Dodge Stratus and he has been back 6 or so times with problems with his autostarter.  The First unit installed was a model similar to a Black Widow marketed  through The Right Connections in California.  The first couple of them just went dead (the buttons on the remote didn't work).  If I disconned power and reconnected it it would work fine for a couple of days and then the same thing would happen again.  I swapped out the unit at first then went over the whole installation after the second one.  The third time I installed a Design Tech figuring that these units are having problems with the other electronics in the car.  The Design Tech's starter relay shorted closed.  I removed it and  installed the newer Right Connections model now called Xtreme XR-20.  It did the same thing the first ones did going dead after a few days. Then I put diodes across the door lock relays to prevent spikes.  This did nothing I installed a power filter on the main power lead (which comes right from the batt).  The unit still had problems but still worked to some extent.  The buttons on the remote were scrambled (unlock locked the doors and the trunk realease unlocked the doors the other buttons did nothing) and the car would not start.  Tech support at TRC said to put a diode on the parking light wire to ground.  I have not tried this yet but, I did take out the fuse for the parking lights a while back to try this theory and the vehicle still had problems.  At this point I an willing to try another brand again this time an Omega RS-7K2 and see if that fixes anything.  I did do a little checking into it before hand though.  I called Omega and talked to tech support and he said they have had problems with Chryslers too, doing the same types of things that almost all the other autostarters did.  Units basically locking up and when power was disconnected and reconnected the unit worked fine again for a while.  Sorry this is so long I just don't know what else to try.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Jon Mason

Traveling Electronics

securinu 
Silver - Posts: 772
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2002 at 8:23 PM / IP Logged  
that is so odd to me . I have a 2 dodge dealers that i do a ton of remote starts in every month and i never have problems with the product i use. which is magnadyne i use start2 plus and m-10 2 way system. i did install an audiovox aps-785 (was out of stock temp) on a 2002 stratus and had several problems . it turned out to be a bad ignition switch but was not discovered til i switched the unit out to magnadyne. also have seen problems when you jump ignition wires instead of using additional relays to power extra ignition wires.did you get a tach sense as well or are you relying on voltage???
NismaX 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2002 at 8:29 PM / IP Logged  

I am actually using an injector for my tach pulse and I have not jumped any wiring in the ign harness.  My starter has 2 ign outputs and I've got a third through a relay.   It may just be that the autostarter I'm using is not going to handle it.  I don't have a dealer that handles Magnadyne who do you use?

Jon
securinu 
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2002 at 9:38 PM / IP Logged  

i am direct with them. check out my site it has a link . do you own the shop or what, if would you be interested in getting a test unit let me know i will pass one on @ cost for you to try out.

www.securityconcepts.biz

NismaX 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 16, 2002 at 6:04 AM / IP Logged  

I do own the shop and am always looking for a unit that will give me fewer problems.  The models I have been using have been ok but,  my my reputation is at stake here.  I feel awful when I try a unit out after installation and it works fine several times and then delivering it to the customer and having it not work at all.  (this happened last week in a Suzuki)  I'll check out the site.  I do about 100 autostarter installs a year.  It's probably not much by some standards but I also install a variety of other automotive electronics and home too.  It keeps me busy that's for sure!  I currently buy in lots of 6 to 12 and pay about $50.  I'd like to keep it about that since my pricing is regulated by my competition and I need to make a profit as well.   I am also trying to find a good distributor for cruise controls but,  I can't buy enough to satisfy Rostra's requirements.  Do you have a supplier for this as well?    Thanks for you help!

Jon

Traveling Electronics 

securinu 
Posted: October 16, 2002 at 5:26 PM / IP Logged  

jon pass on  your email and ill give you the manufacture info and cost. i dont like to post cost pricing as people have a tendency to cost compare and i'm not going to compete against myself. i dont do cruise controls at all . i do a lot od backupsensors though is that popular where you are ???

DanDan 
Copper - Posts: 125
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 16, 2002 at 5:42 PM / IP Logged  

I use the Prestiges aps-785 and have zero problems with them.  I have never had any problems with Chrysler vehicles.  I do nothing but new car dealers and have 3 chrysler dealers along with 2 dodge.  If your paying $50.00 for a remote start you are getting what you pay for.  The 785 is more money.  I have also used DEI products but too many relays for me.  I will say I have had a ton of problems with black widow and dynatech products.  I call dynatech,(dynacrap).  Magnadyne, Omega, DEI, and Audiovox are all made in the same factory in Taiwan.  Nu-tek, I believe that is how it is spelled.  I don't care for Magnadyne but if there made in the same factory they cannot be bad.  And for Omega I will never use there products anymore.  I have had numerous problems with those locking up also.  Back when the were made in Korea. If I have any problems with an Audiovox the distributor just gives me a new one.  But problems are very few.  Usually the remotes.  Rarely does a brain ever go belly up.  I hate problems, costs us money. Just my opinion.  19 years in business will speak for itself!

Dan

NismaX 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 16, 2002 at 7:15 PM / IP Logged  

my e-mail info is in my profile just click on the NismaX name.  As for Prestiges I've only done one of their units.  They are available to me from my current supplier.  Maybe I'll try one of them.  Even Design Tech has given me problems lately a 2K Monte Carlo and a 2001 Chev Astro Van both left here working fine and both came back with lock up problems.  Then there are the Two Chrysler vehicles 2001 Dodge Stratus and a 98 Chry Concord.   Tha Status has had two Right Connection models and one Design Tech.  The RC models lock up after a few days and the DT shorted the start relay internally.  Just very strange...  Anyway at this point I'll try anything to keep these customers happy and give them what they pay for.  What I have to watch out for is the costs.  If I pay more then I would need to charge more for these installs.  The customers are not going to be happy paying more.  What do you retail an autostarter with keyless for?  I usually go $230 for the dealers and $270 for the general public.

Jon
NismaX 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 16, 2002 at 7:21 PM / IP Logged  

Oh I forgot to answer this one I don't do alot of backup sensors just one so far.  It is cold up here in the winter so Autostarters are my bread and butter in the winter.  And with the increasingly difficult GM's and their Class 2 data buss's even radios are getting to be more expensive then the dealer using their own Delco stuff.   Oh yeah speaking of GM's idiocy making you buy an XM ready radio is lame.  Buying the equipment when you may not want the service is stupid.  Just my 2 cents.

Jon
audiopro12 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2002 at 6:25 PM / IP Logged  

Autostarters in Chrysler products -- posted image.wow $230 for a remote starter with keyless entry ....where are you from I have been using crimestoppers now for awile and have had no problems at all..I only charge $165 for a remote starter with keyless entry

...rick

Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic